Weather Related Organizations > CoCoRaHS

Stratus gauge

<< < (2/5) > >>

ocala:

--- Quote from: miraculon on September 16, 2022, 08:41:34 AM ---I complained about the slot in the inner measuring tube not agreeing with the 1" marking due to surface tension. The point that it drains at is higher than the 1" mark. I deliberately displace some water by shaking or whatever to get it into the outer cylinder then measure it on the scale, say 0.96", then use that to subtract from the accumulated total found in the outer cylinder.

What are you using to determine 1 Inch? The overflow or the 1.00" marking on the scale?

I didn't get much of a response from the supplier about this, and CoCoRaHS can't seem to be able to do much about it.

I think that the drainage slot needs to be revamped to eliminate this difference between overflow and exactly 1". Meanwhile, I'll just stick to my current method.

To answer the question, I have used 201 g for years and continue to do so. Although, I have to admit that I have not repeated this evaluation.

Greg H.

--- End quote ---
On my old coco gauge I modified that slot to make it right. My new one I do what you do. Just stick my finger in it.

CW2274:

--- Quote from: miraculon on September 16, 2022, 08:41:34 AM ---What are you using to determine 1 Inch? The overflow or the 1.00" marking on the scale?

--- End quote ---
I'm using the meniscus at the 1" line, not the overflow, and that's with magnification from the glasses I wear when doing this. I've also noticed that the overflow line is even slightly higher with the new ones compared to the old ones.

I just received my second new tube....204. So I've now got two at 200, and two at 204. That said, I could see where 201 and 203 is observed by someone else, which would actually be at the 1% spec. Point being, they are definitely different, albeit slight. I can only assume Productive Alternatives switched molds somewhere up the road.

ocala:
Did some testing on my end.
I started with Coco in 08 which is when the tube was bought.
1" weighs 195/196 after several tests.
Bought a new tube this past summer.
1" weighs 204 after several tests.
Tests were to the 1" line.
This was based on 200 grams.
Wasn't expecting it to be so different.
As I told CW in a PM a weight based rain collector would be the way to go.
I found this product but I'm sure it's way to expensive.
https://www.ott.com/products/accessories-109/ott-pluvio2-weighing-rain-gauge-963/

CW2274:

--- Quote from: CW2274 on September 16, 2022, 06:01:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: miraculon on September 16, 2022, 08:41:34 AM ---What are you using to determine 1 Inch? The overflow or the 1.00" marking on the scale?

--- End quote ---
I've now got two at 200, and two at 204. That said, I could see where 201 and 203 is observed by someone else, which would actually be at the 1% spec.

--- End quote ---
Upon further review, I retract that statement. It's 200 and 204, no doubt, and yes, the scale has been verified for accuracy.  So, the guarantee, and it is, of 1% accuracy is out, and ocala's post above proves that even further. I'll wait to see if RainmanWeather gets back to me shorty and go from there.

CSB:
Where are you guys buying these from and how accurate and easy to read are the new ones? I take it Stratus is the gauge of choice?
TKS, CSB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version