Weather Related Organizations > CoCoRaHS

Ice Accretion Pilot

(1/2) > >>

Cutty Sark Sailor:
Experimental
Implementing CCR pilot Ice Accretion to SnowCam stream...Image layout may / will vary, change, or even be 'dumped'...
a little tricky and a PITA due to camera lens, but
current live still image : 

cjohlandt:
I like your setup!  I just installed my Ice Accretion dowel yesterday ahead of tonight's anticipated ice event.  What camera are you using and how does it do when you've got snow or ice piling up on it?

-Chris

Cutty Sark Sailor:

--- Quote from: cjohlandt on January 16, 2022, 04:19:40 PM ---... What camera are you using and how does it do when you've got snow or ice piling up on it?

-Chris

--- End quote ---
It's a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I currently. 

Cams driven by Netcam Studio, with SSL cert from NoIp.com.

Your can observe live stream at
https://frankfortweather.us/camsUP/cam3.html and see how this NEW setup 'does' with snow / ice' accretion.
My 'plan' is to brush off snow, from the dowel, not icy layer, at time of measurement.

miraculon:
Hmm... Interesting. I didn't catch this new ice accretion project at CCR.

I think that I'll set one up too, but just use a cheapie caliper, probably a Harbor Freight one. (expendable)

One question, doesn't the plain wood dowel swell up with rain/snow moisture? (and get moldy?)

I have never had good luck with bare pine outside. Would HDPE rod like this work? (and hold up better)

Greg H.

Cutty Sark Sailor:
Greg,
...just thinking randomly with the fingers...
in all the'background', previous research, been related to 'birch'.   They say just 'wooden dowel'.  I have a 'birch', exactly 0.75" dia all directions. They're going to vary depending on source. Definitely wouldn't use pine! I also wondered about 'sealing'... other things. Suspect a bad idea, since gets away from standarized surfaces,more or less... This is about trees, etc., and I'm not sure how it will address roads, etc.  There is NO "standard" for ice accretion, as in some other meteorlogical events, and part of this pilot is to help evolve one, or confirmations of 'proposed'. I chose to begin as laid out in program.  I noted little or no 'swelling'.  Won't be out all year, anyway, just during season, or even just anticipating event.   I found several caveats, especially relating to the caliper.. don't really need a caliper but more accurate... one suggested is $9 bucks on Amazon...
These observations may be tricky for some of us, especially during mixed events. Especially if snow on top of ice.... be very gentle if brush away snow... I overdid it, and brushed away my ice layer, also... heh... was a bit slushy anyway...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version