Weather Station Hardware > Rainwise Weather Stations

Rainwise 111 easy calibrate without calibrator

<< < (2/3) > >>

JudinNorman:
Is it possible for each bucket to tip the same? Just did a few tips on mine from factory setting. One side would tip 7.5 to 8.5 ml, other 8.5 to 9.5 ml. Never the same amount each tip. Looks like even cleaned buckets and level gauge the water retention after tip isn't the same each time so with water clinging to the tipped bucket that would add weight needed to tip the high bucket.
My Rainwise lags cocorahs gauge. For spring/summer to date Rainwise caught 96% of Cocorahs. Many times the Rainwise is only .01 off, I have contributed that to the wetting of gauges differently or not quite a full bucket to tip. But if one has many light rainfalls those .01's add up.
Yesterday for example had few periods of showers when gauge funnels would dry in between showers, Coco showed .56 while Rainwise total was .51
Last week a steady consistent rainfall with both gauges showed 1.07

CW2274:

--- Quote from: JudinNorman on July 14, 2018, 11:12:31 AM ---The rainwise gauge needs adjustment as well out of box like the Davis tipper?

--- End quote ---
Rainwise claims all their tippers are hand calibrated to an accuracy of 2% at I think a 2" per hour rate.

ValentineWeather:

--- Quote from: JudinNorman on July 14, 2018, 03:12:50 PM ---Is it possible for each bucket to tip the same? Just did a few tips on mine from factory setting. One side would tip 7.5 to 8.5 ml, other 8.5 to 9.5 ml. Never the same amount each tip. Looks like even cleaned buckets and level gauge the water retention after tip isn't the same each time so with water clinging to the tipped bucket that would add weight needed to tip the high bucket.
My Rainwise lags cocorahs gauge. For spring/summer to date Rainwise caught 96% of Cocorahs. Many times the Rainwise is only .01 off, I have contributed that to the wetting of gauges differently or not quite a full bucket to tip. But if one has many light rainfalls those .01's add up.
Yesterday for example had few periods of showers when gauge funnels would dry in between showers, Coco showed .56 while Rainwise total was .51
Last week a steady consistent rainfall with both gauges showed 1.07

--- End quote ---

They should be the same provided you are level. Just turn the screws and get both at 8ml and you will be wearing a  :-)  next time it rains. 

ValentineWeather:
JudinNorman are you saying buckets tip differently each time? Never seen that before. I fill syringe to 10ml making sure air is out pull plunger down slightly and check level again. If short push plunger clearing dropper and start over. You can't add if short.
Slow down to single drops toward end before it tips you should have 2ml water left. It may take a little practice but it works well.

JudinNorman:

--- Quote from: ValentineWeather on July 14, 2018, 09:56:27 PM ---JudinNorman are you saying buckets tip differently each time? Never seen that before. I fill dropper to 10ml making sure air is out pull plunger down slightly and check level again. If short push plunger clearing dropper and start over. You can't add if short.
Slow down to single drops toward end before it tips you should have 2ml water left. It may take a little practice but it works well.

--- End quote ---

That's correct. I notice the amount of water retention after the bucket tips isn't consistent which I assume would add weight to the bucket resting on screw which therefore would require more or less water to tip next bucket. There could be a ml stuck to the tipped bucket.

Do you guys dry the bucket after each tip?  Otherwise I have little idea how to control the water retention after each bucket tip. And during a rain event the tipped bucket will retain a bit anyways. Or maybe rain water flows off bucket more so than tap water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version