Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

had to put screws at different heights to get accurate rain tipping.

(1/1)

radmore:
've just checked the raingauge and I had to adjust one screw different to the other by at least 1 full turn to match the 4.26ml. I know I'm using a syringe that is not fully accurate.
It's level so don't know what would cause this drift. Do I need a new unit? I'm not going to convert to the new gauge as I've read it's not accurate either.
Thanks

I can't seem to find a replacement for the double tipping bucket anymore. I'm in zuk.

davidmc36:
Has it spent winter exposed to precipitation?

I replaced several bent axles that I am sure happened from ice expansion in winter. Somewhere I posted a photo that shows ice block under tipper, pushing it upwards.

My un-heated cones are covered I  winter now.

Mattk:
Correct, a syringe will only give a rough indication but a difference of 1 full turn (6%) is not a big deal  considering the screws are not set equal anyway. The variation with a tipper with different rain rates is going to be more than 6% anyway and typically there is nothing wrong with the unit, it's just what tippers do.

What you read about the new single spoon gauge is quite different to ones I have tested, all were within spec and quite good compared how far off the double tippers were. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version