Author Topic: Solar Cellular Anemometer  (Read 742 times)

Offline chrome700

Solar Cellular Anemometer
« on: November 16, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »
Look for a solar powered anemometer that could be mounted on a channel marker in a large freshwater lake. The Ecowitt WS68 or WS80 look interesting, but I can figure out if those could be paired to their 3G/4G gateway by themselves or if they needed some other unit.

Also, are those units limited to 10 min update times? Looking for something that could report more frequently than that during certain hours of the day, or on demand. Use case is monitoring winds for sailing.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Solar Cellular Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 01:54:26 PM »
Just throwing this out there... but would a Davis solar anemometer 6332 with a long range repeater 7654 work ? Or a Vantage Connect work ?https://www.davisinstruments.com/pages/vantage-connect

I don't know what the update time is (probably better) or what budget your working with. Just throwing out some ideas.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 04:18:31 PM »
According to the 'compatibility matrix' post the ws6006 is not compatible with ws80 and ws68 but only with ws65/ws69

P.S.
I don't have a ws6006 ( no direct knowledge )
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 04:20:31 PM by davidefa »

Offline chrome700

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »
Budget is TBD, but I'd like to find something in the neighborhood of $500 per station. (and all I really need is real time wind) My off the cuff idea would be to crowd fund something via some sailing organizations around the lake.

Looking at the Ecowitt site I may be stuck with the full weather station, which wouldn't be the most terrible thing in the world.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »
500?

https://www.scientificsales.com/Davis-6410-Replacement-Anemometer-for-Vantage-Pro2-p/6410.htm

https://www.scientificsales.com/6332-Davis-Sensor-Transmitter-p/6332.htm

With room to budget repeater or two if range is needed.

At minimum you could set them all to different IDs and monitor one at a time by cycling through them.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
A Davis #6410 and #6332 would work and in most regards a single repeater depending on positioning could extend the transmission distance of at least eight anemometers.

However what I haven't seen mentioned (even thou a query was raised in regard 3G/4G) is how are you actually proposing to provide this data as the back end with more than 1 anemometer/transmitter combination requires some consideration. One would really not put a 3G/4G modem at each site. This tends to sound more like a customized type setup with wind only output?