Weather Station Hardware > Blitzortung

How to find new IP after new modem

(1/5) > >>

PaulMy:
A few days ago I upgraded my ISP services that included a new modem/router.  While my Blitzortung seems to be still working https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/america/index.php?bo_page=statistics&bo_show=station&bo_sid=1076&bo_page=statistics&bo_show=station&bo_sid=1076 but no data visible

In the previous set up I could access my Blitzortung at 192.168.0.16 and that still displays on my controller. 

The new modem uses 10.0.0.xx and I have tried all the IP's that I can see in the 10.0.0.1 interface and settings but have not found Blitzortung.

This is mostly above my understanding but with some great help several years ago I was able to get the Blitzortung all set up.  I believe the IP 192.168.0.16 was set as a fixed IP and that is the cause of my issue, something similar to my WiFiLogger that had to be changed from the former 192.168.0.xxx to new 10.0.0.xxx.

Any suggestion on how I go about this?

Trying to enjoy,
Paul

galfert:
You only have 4 choices to fix this. Increasing in complexity they are.

1- Factory reset the Blitzortung so that it goes back to using DHCP. Not sure what you'd lose as I don't have a Blitzortung.

2- Change your computer to be on two subnets at the same time. You can set  static IPs on a computer to be on both the 10.x.x.x and on the 192.x.x.x network. This allows you to see the Blitzortung and reconfigure it for the 10.x.x.x network and then you can revert the computer bact to just using the 10.x.x.x subnet.

3- You can set up a temporary network with a spare router. It doesn't need Internet. Just a local only network. This network would use the 192.x.x.x subnet. Use it to reconfigure the Blitzortung to DHCP or new 10.x.x.x static.

4- setup an advanced network with routing tables and make 192.x.x.x become a routable VLAN. This requires a new router or a layer 3 managed switch.

All of these are relatively simple except #4.

Tip - put the modem in bridge mode, get your own router. Keeping that 10.x.x.x subnet is going to be a headache now and in the future for other devices that may not 100% adhear to networking standards. If you had your own router you can move or change ISP and there is hardly anything to reconfigure other than the WAN connection. Then everything internally on the LAN stays the same. I move companies networks all the time. It's pretty simple and easy when you control the internal network.

galfert:
Here is the problem with using a 10.x.x.x subnet. This address space is typically Class A subnet (but it can be Class B or Class C also). What this means is that it can be configured with a 255.0.0.0 subnet mask (Class A). The problem is that some routers use the 10.x.x.x and they use this address space with a Class C subnet of 255.255.255.0 instead. Nothing wrong with that except for when dealing with some less than quality devices that see a 10.x.x.x address space and then they assume a Class A subnet or vise versa, like a Class A network and the device only wants to use a Class C network subnet mask.

I've seen this happen. It amounts to basically a development bug in the device for not getting the proper subnet from the router or DHCP server. Often this can be corrected with a firmware update or by using static addresses when DHCP does not work as expected but it requires some networking knowledge.

Executive Summary:
I know all that may be above some people's heads. So just know this. If you stick to a 192.x.x.x address space you'll have less headaches in connecting and keeping your network running properly. If you do decide to stick it out with a 10.x.x.x address space then you need to know what your subnet mask is and be sure to use the correct one for every device, especially statics. It could be 255.255.255.0 or it could be 255.0.0.0. It can actually be a whole bunch of others too but less likely.

Jasiu:
Technically, the mask can be any length between or beyond the old "class" defaults.  E.g., 10.0.0.0/28 is a legit subnet.

But anyway, you are right that equipment is out there that still assumes the class (despite the fact that they were deprecated 26 years ago - man that makes me feel old). On my ASUS router, I have my interior subnet set up as 192.168.0.0/20 (255.255.240.0 mask) with the router address at 192.168.1.1, and on the router's home page, it will only show "clients" who reside within the 192.168.1.1 - 255 range. But the important code (e.g., DHCP) is behaving itself.

It'll all become so much more fun when IPv6 gets more widely deployed in home networks...

Cutty Sark Sailor:
ALL BT WANTS is a valid, open internet connection to comm with the IBODs..It's a different matter, if the servers can't comm back to controller...at best you get listed as "idle"...then, again, if the new units don't set up to match your Controller's config, then you've got to figure out how to do that.. couple of advices above..... now,
The factory default for BT controllers is192.168.1.235. 
under the 255 masks, etc...

Unless you changed that in your settings, that should always be the 'default', regardless of DHCP, etc...
to go back to that, if you changed it in the controller, you MUST do a complete factory default reset  or find it on the router, if possible, and proceed to reconfigure your controller to match.. even that may not work, in some cases...

Now, the kicker is: on settings page: 

I've multiple setations.. each is assigned a 'static' IP, which is why the 'address' for this one is "217"...default would be "235",,,,find your station on your 'router'.. if you can, and try to access at the 'router's" assignment for BT..  and "settgs' here to match that router config should get you back up... if you've got one of those combination router modems... well... good luck...Jumpin Joe and some others had issues with those 'proivider supplied' combos...
OH... at this moment, I suspect the team is doing some 'work' on the BT servers,... noticed an issue with my 791 RED comm.. one some of us are 'experimenting' with... it had lost Server Connection because of the 'experiments'(?) and the BT IBODs apparently didn't approve... heh...
so with that caveat, good luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version