Author Topic: Station webcam improved updating  (Read 15711 times)

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
Re: Station webcam improved updating
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
I too thought that this was a fair trade.  They received my free data, and I got a webpage and cam.  I think the next cut will be with the weather data.  I'm guessing they will start to limit what free information is available on their website.  If you want more than just the basics, think of "TV" weather, you will need a paid subscription.  I think the PWS's will stay as that provides real time local information they can use.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
I'm not sure, but It makes sense that they can use AND SELL the weather data.  Webcam photos aren't worth spit except to those of us interested in weather and Snow conditions.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 07:23:48 PM »
I think the PWS's will stay as that provides real time local information they can use.
Nope... they won't... any data that you're sending that gets to mesonet, or similar, through any other 'data send' such as CWOP is already being scraped by WunderWeenies... If you don't believe me, stop sending to WU, maintain any other data feeds, wait a week or longer, and see if, for example, your Mesonet, or CWOP or Whatever doesn't show up on the WUmaps, etc... scraping is cheaper.

...and you can retrieve archive data, at least from Mesonet, by:
creating account at, example, mesowest, and
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=D5536
going to "downloiad data" and logging in.

example from NOV 2014 attached

So who needs 'em? 

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
Very strange.  WU is now taking FTP uploads!  I noticed some webcams were up so I restarted my uploads.  Back on line - for now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2017, 11:17:16 AM »
Not shutting down until Dec 15th. With many pulling cameras as I have leaves open bandwidth for those staying until they disconnect cameras from servers.
Randy

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
Not shutting down until Dec 15th. With many pulling cameras as I have leaves open bandwidth for those staying until they disconnect cameras from servers.

Another possibility is there was a stale Cheeto stuck in the server cooling fan.
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Stratocaster

• WU Station ID INEWPROV18
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
I gave them my bandwidth when I pulled the plug a few days ago  :grin:

I signed up with webcam.io in Germany, seems like a great alternative. It was dead easy to get my ftp back up and running with them. More features than WU, even in the free version.
Mike
WU Station ID INEWPROV18
Nassau, Bahamas

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
What is your URL for your webcams?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »
Unless you have a dedicated website for weather webcams who will be looking other than owner.  ;)
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
I decided to remove both Bloomsky from WU and just keep my Davis VP2+ data loading.   The davis is leaps and bounds better than the Bloomsky anyway.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:23 PM »
We get better shots than the weather channel does.  Implosion of the Georgia Done as seen by the WC.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/fEjag-a7TyU[/youtube]

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
Hello. 

Last week (when I heard about WU's plan to drop WebCams), I added an OBJECTION and a SUGGESTION to the text of my WU webcam.  Since then, the image has been consistently picked up (http) by WU.

Isn't that weird?

I'd like to see everyone add a note of OBJECTION to their WebCam feed.  I suggest including a request to have viewers write to WU asking them to REVERSE THEIR DECISION TO REMOVE WEBCAMs in December.

Right now (at least from my perspective) WU's servers are able to handle the load.  I am suggesting that they:
1. Limit content to only "weather" scenes.  They could get rid of a lot of security camera traffic by doing so.
2. Change the minimum upload interval to 15 minutes.
3. Get rid of historic videos (even though I love to see the clouds roll by!)

Thoughts?

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2017, 09:31:11 AM »
Nice thought, but like the Wunder Photos and weather radio, Webcam images are not "money makers".

In Jeff Masters email to me he said they were moving their operations to Atlanta in March and were downsizing.

I agree with your suggestions, but for policing the thousands of Webcam images that are not weather related would take a person.  That person would cost money that Wunderground doesn't want to spend.

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
It's not that hard.  Every camera is initially reviewed before acceptance already.  The standard could be more restrictive.

Giving up is not in my DNA.

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
Disagree thousands of camera's have nothing to do with the weather, other then you can see that it's raining. When I first signed up they had multiple road camera's up and running. I had one close to me that looked at a dumpster. I believe they are getting rid of everything that they don't have a decent ROI like they said. When I get my website up and running it will be by-by after almost 10 yrs of sending data and images.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017, 11:34:05 AM »
Well my webcam disappeared today.  FTP Login failures started about 24 hours ago.

I guess this is goodbye ahead of the 12/15/17 deadline.
 :-(

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
Updated: 3:13 PM GMT on December 07, 2017 (1 day ago)

same here, most webcams in my area are down.    had a good run going almost 7 days up, best record yet.  early Christmas present from
WU
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
I believe they are going by sections of the world.  I know mine in the MIdwest USA went down in a hurry.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
Was chatting with someone inside "Big Blue" the other day about WU and IBM's data mining and artificial intelligence operation "Watson" which ingests data from WU PWSs and elsewhere for sale to corporate interests who depend on hyperlocal weather data and forecasts.  Evidently ol' Watson is proving to be horrid at predicting the weather (you can see that in the WU forecasts).  Since the PWS network is the primary reason Blue ate WU in the first place and didn't just spit it out when it took over TWC, and given the cuts in "customer facing" support along with their impending move to Atlanta, WU will be little more than a memory by the end of the decade if not sooner.  Might as well get used to the idea of having to roll your own...

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2017, 03:53:34 PM »
Progress. :(

Offline kujo2k

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
WU Webcams are not going away:

http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1821811-wu-says-goodbye-to-webcams

Update Dec. 7, 2017:

We heard from many, many of you about how much you like and rely on our webcam product. So we will not discontinue the product as we stated in November. We will continue to allow users to add webcams to the Weather Underground network and everyone can view images from connected webcams.

Thank you for your passionate support and apologies for any inconvenience we caused.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2017, 03:32:07 PM »
My webcam and many others in my region have been gone for several days.  I am still getting FTP Server connection failures.  I am assuming WU is only allowing URL based webcams.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »

http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1821811-wu-says-goodbye-to-webcams

Update Dec. 7, 2017:

We heard from many, many of you about how much you like and rely on our webcam product. So we will not discontinue the product as we stated in November. We will continue to allow users to add webcams to the Weather Underground network and everyone can view images from connected webcams.

Thank you for your passionate support and apologies for any inconvenience we caused.

It was an unreliable mess before so voluntarily removed my camera's months before the announcement it was ending the service. The FTP servers were so busy it would sometimes go hours before allowing any image though.

Probably works great now because many cameras are gone but just give it a few months.
Randy

Offline Eno

« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
I am assuming WU is only allowing URL based webcams.

That would be great information to know for sure.

Offline Eno

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »

Update Dec. 7, 2017:

So we will not discontinue the product as we stated in November. We will continue to allow users to add webcams to the Weather Underground network and everyone can view images from connected webcams.

That's funny, my webcam's last image was 0700 MST on Dec. 7.  "Missing webcam" since then and currently.