Author Topic: Replacement for Vantage Pro2?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Replacement for Vantage Pro2?
« on: May 27, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »
Hello old long-timers. I've been away for so many years as life has thrown the major curve balls healthwise, and other stuff has been so much more important.

Now, as things settle a bit, I'm entertaining a replacement to my Vantage Pro2 I installed in 2005. It has slowly over the recent years been failing, starting with the anemometer, at least a couple of cap replacements, and water intrusion into electronics that has mucked up some of the sensors response.

It has had a good life being exposed to the salt air (I'm about 2 miles as crow flies to the coast).

Looking for simplicity this time around. Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather. I'm not as critically interested any more in weather, but would like the "basics" with remote access to conditions (web based?).

Don't have a budget, but not looking to spend Vantage Pro2 bucks again. I haven't kept up with the wx station marketplace.

I'm not sure a refurbishment by Davis is the way to go since I basically need a replacement, too much failure.

Thanks guys!

(P.S. I do sometimes peruse the forum, and have to laugh at all the new comers that ask about weather underground, I dumped them so long ago due to the obvious suckiness, LOL, RIP, they used to be good)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
Re: Replacement for Vantage Pro2?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 12:00:17 PM »
Unless you are convinced you want to move away from Davis I would consider refurbishment.  Davis charges $200 and they rebuild the entire station.  You also need to pay for shipping the station to Davis. There are other options to upload data that don't require a computer to be running 24/7.
Eric

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
I would say buy a new VP2 ISS (just the ISS). There have been multiple improvements over the years and it's the outside sensors that inevitably wear the most. Indoor things like console and logger generally last pretty well. Don't Davis have a 10% holiday discount on Monday in the US, though may still be cheaper to buy elsewhere.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 02:55:13 PM »
Quote from: ncpilot link=topic=43951.msg447363#msg447363

Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather.

[/quote

There are multiple options of small IT devices to upload vs using a PC.

A hundred or so should get you uploading for many, many years.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 06:58:21 PM »
Looking for simplicity this time around. Don't want to have computer connected in order to upload and see weather.

Use a Weatherlink Live with your existing/refurnished/new VP2 ISS and view your data on weatherlink.com using a phone or tablet or computer from anywhere.

Davis:  WeatherLink Live — Davis Instruments

Scaled: Davis 6100 – WeatherLink Live (limited availability due to micro chip shortages) – Scaled Instruments

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 08:20:13 PM »
It has had a good life being exposed to the salt air (I'm about 2 miles as crow flies to the coast).

Don't have a budget, but not looking to spend Vantage Pro2 bucks again.
Unless you get into huge RM Young money, you'll regret not getting another VP2, and not just for longevity.

anything