Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Replacing Davis Vantage Vue?

(1/3) > >>

dtwrlewis:
I've had my David VV for about 13-14yrs. It seems to have finally developed a fault that is expensive/technically challenging to fix. I think the capacitor is dying. Even with a new battery it stops transmitting for 6hrs overnight. Anyway After a bit of research I've come down to the following options:
1. Replace the Davis VV Sensor suite - CA$ 317
2. Get an ECOWITT HP2553 - CA$ 349

It needs to be able to upload data to meteotemplate. Preferably directly and not via wunderground. I currently use weathercat (via a davis usb datalogger) on an old mac to do this.

If I go with 2) - then i think i need a meteobridge?

I'm happy to spend a bit more if there are other solutions that would work well. Also would like my next station to also last >10yrs.

Hoping Gyvate sees this as he posted a useful reply here last year https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=42421.0

dtwrlewis:
my webpage - http://www.dtwrlewis.com/rothesay/indexDesktop.php

davidefa:
If you go for ecowitt you can upload to meteotemplate using the ecowitt plugin ( in addition you can use the ecowittModule block to check the status of your sensors )
You don't need a meteobridge, you can use the 'custom upload' function of the ecowitt console
Regarding ecowitt sensors life, I can't say anything ( as my station is only 1 year old )

CW2274:

--- Quote from: dtwrlewis on March 05, 2022, 06:03:04 PM --- Also would like my next station to also last >10yrs.

--- End quote ---
Then I highly suggest a VP2. Mine will be 15 this summer. Besides, if you go elsewhere, you'll miss those 2-2.5 second updates on the wind if you go other than Davis, and the VP2 is easily "fixable" compared to the Vue. Get what you pay for.

davidefa:
Noticed you are on meteotemplate 17.1, the plugin and block I referred are certainly compatible with meteotemplate 18.0, but I never tested on 17.1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version