Weather Software > RaspberryPI Weather Software

Raspberry PI 4 SDXC life concern

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bushman:
And this: http://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

Bushman:
And check the section on SD cards here: https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Meteobridge_NANO_SD

mcrossley:
I use a small USB 3.0 SSD disk, you can pick up 120GB SSDs pretty cheap. The SSD is more durable, and the extra size means more wear levelling as well. And yes redirect all your temporary/transient files to a memory disk.

Only slight issue is the pi 4 unlike the 3 cannot currently boot from a USB disk, so you still need a boot partition on an SD card.

Wayne Orwig:
Well poo.

I moved most of my scripts and working files to the external memory stick. I have a script that runs in the middle of the night that backs everything up to a NAS drive. Now, that hangs up randomly.

Always something.

Gyvate:
you can also use, instead or in addition to strategies like temporary file systems in RAM as proposed for Weewx, SLC SD cards (industrial standard, for high usage).
A 16 GB SLC from WD/SanDisk costs around 30 USD from Arrow or Mouser. For Meteobridge on the RPi the use of SLC storage is even enforced to keep the data(base) safe.

And the other strategies like re-directing your database to an external drive (hard disk, SSD, USB drive .... - but consumer USB drives (sticks etc., not USB connected hard drives) have similar weaknesses like SD cards) also work. Or, at the end of the day, starting your OS from an external disk (HDD, SSD, ...).

Let's say, in my opinion, the use of SLC storage is the simplest way to do - you just use another type of SD card.
They are availble from 2GB thru 64GB at still reasonable prices, but then, how many years does it take for a 16 GB SD card to fill with weather data created by a data logger.
My Meteobridge on RPi4 uses a 16GB SLC SD card, logs data from two stations with many sensors, and won't be full before 9 years.
And backups are just copied to a connected external disk drive (via USB).
For weewx and CumulusMX the more sophisticated strategies are needed, but then no SLC SD card needed (as if external SSD drives came for free).

If you (or the users) are not an IT adept, the SLC approach is the easiest and most efficient thing to do.
The other above mentioned strategies need some up to rather deep(er) knowledge of the operating system and the functioning of a computer
like mounting drives, permanently, temporarily. The function of the fstab, ownership and permission considerations .... you name it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version