Weather Related Organizations > WeatherUnderground

WU reports success but no data on site

<< < (2/2)

roakey:

--- Quote from: Mark / Ohio on December 12, 2008, 10:14:33 PM ---Sorry to keep asking the basic type questions.  I just have a feeling this might be one of those "can't see the forest for all the trees" type of issues that we all run into from time to time.   ;)

--- End quote ---
Finally, an update...

I don't mind you asking, for whatever reason it's become a side job of mine to troubleshoot other developer's problems at my work (HP) -- I don't know how many times I've handled "It stopped working this morning"-type problems, with the first question from me being "what did you change this morning?" with the always-predictable response of "Nothing", to which (for example) my next question is "So how long have you been running this weird firewall that you're not supposed to be running on this system?" to which the answer is typically "Oh, I installed that this morning..." :(

Yhea, didn't change anything, right.  So I understand you asking! :)

Ok, so I have the second-worst possible news on this problem – it now works and I don’t know why.

I haven’t had a chance to reply because I reworked my entire office, moved machines around, moved where systems are on the network (I have a wired network in the house) and just about tore my whole PC and network infrastructure apart and put it back together (I had wanted to get the weather PC up and running before this project so I wouldn’t be off the air during it, but three or more weeks of the reporting problem put the kibosh on that goal).  During the project I put the weather PC on the shelf until I was finished.

Finally got around to hooking the weather PC back up in its new home in the living room at which point it worked!  I hate when broken things start to work and you don’t know why, because they’ll almost always bite you at a later date… :(

I did five things between when it wasn’t working and now: I renamed the weather PC, I installed AVG free anti-virus and Windows Defender, moved where the PC was physically connected to the network and took the batteries out of the Davis VP2 console for about a week or two – I didn’t change any of my WL 5.8.0 settings or nuttn.  So my only theory is that there may have been a name conflict (same computer name in the same workgroup, which is why I renamed the machine) which caused the problems, but that’s a pretty weird problem to have from a name conflict.  Other than that, there isn’t anything that I did that I would have any effect on WU reporting, at least in my opinion...

So anyways, I’m up and running and reporting, and ready to start on a web page.  I thank you all for the help, I wish I could solidly point to one issue and say that was the problem, but unfortunately I can’t.

I do note that there is already a min-ITX thread established – this is exactly what my weather PC is based upon, so I’ll be doing some replying in there – my entire weather station PC is the same size as an external optical drive!

Maybe see some of you in the other thread!  Again, thanks.

Roak

Ps.  We had record-breaking cold temps and winds during the time I was off the air and I don’t even have a log :(

Mark / Ohio:
Glad to hear that it is working!  Hopefully you really fixed it without trying and it will stay that way. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version