Author Topic: BloomSky is looking for community partners, application ending tomorrow.  (Read 15084 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: BloomSky is looking for community partners, application ending tomorrow.
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
I see it as purely a solar powered webcam

Temp accuracy: +- 3 deg
Humidity +-4 percent
Operating range - 4 f / - 20 c to 131 f / 55 c
Rain gauge: "accurately predicts rainfall"

the solar panel is an 'option'. 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
I'm confused. For those of you who did get an email saying you were accepted into the FREE program, what do you get for that FREE option? I read somewhere that once you get your acceptance email, you have to go to their website and select the configuration you want. If this is correct, what are the options available and what, if any, costs are involved with those selections? Are there shipping charges for any of the equipment within the US?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »
Wow...that's cold.  That's a good question.  If exposed to something below -4, I'm not sure bringing in it for a charge would help.  I suspect it would based on how long it was subject to the extreme temps.

I would guess/hope the AC adapter would be providing the actual power when it's that cold.  Just keeping the battery float charged in case of a power outage.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
I'm confused. For those of you who did get an email saying you were accepted into the FREE program, what do you get for that FREE option? I read somewhere that once you get your acceptance email, you have to go to their website and select the configuration you want. If this is correct, what are the options available and what, if any, costs are involved with those selections? Are there shipping charges for any of the equipment within the US?

yes, you then go (link) to their shopping page and pick the configuration you want.  Since it's almost free, most I've heard from picked the entire package (unit, bracket, solar panel).  All you pay is shipping.  For me coming across country, it was $20 which I believe most are paying.  Comes UPS ground in about 5-7 days.  Calif residents may pay state taxes.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »
BTW, I signed up last week and was already confirmed for my Bloomsky unit.  They gave me a coupon code that allowed me to "purchase" the solar powered unit for no charge.  All I had to do is pay for shipping.  I opted to pay $5 extra for UPS because US Postal in my neighborhood is most likely going to play soccer with the box before it gets to my house.

My only concerns are with power.  I would hook it up to my existing post with my VP2.  But that post isn't aligned for southern exposure and the solar panel.  And that area will have the best view with few houses or trees blocking the setting sun.  So that's where I want it.  Worst case, I just put in a new post with proper alignment for the solar panel.  It'll still be close to my power outlet I could use as well.  I will probably go solar and see how that goes.  Worst case, I plug in the AC adapter and disconnect the solar.

So hopefully this weekend, I'll have it online, if they deliver it like UPS expects.  New unit in Bismarck, ND.  Second in the state...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
BTW, I signed up last week and was already confirmed for my Bloomsky unit.  They gave me a coupon code that allowed me to "purchase" the solar powered unit for no charge.  All I had to do is pay for shipping.  I opted to pay $5 extra for UPS because US Postal in my neighborhood is most likely going to play soccer with the box before it gets to my house.

My only concerns are with power.  I would hook it up to my existing post with my VP2.  But that post isn't aligned for southern exposure and the solar panel.  And that area will have the best view with few houses or trees blocking the setting sun.  So that's where I want it.  Worst case, I just put in a new post with proper alignment for the solar panel.  It'll still be close to my power outlet I could use as well.  I will probably go solar and see how that goes.  Worst case, I plug in the AC adapter and disconnect the solar.

So hopefully this weekend, I'll have it online, if they deliver it like UPS expects.  New unit in Bismarck, ND.  Second in the state...

Nice...I'll be looking for you.  I vote for the solar panel.  From what I understand it only needs a few hours of sunlight per day.  If you do need to recharge, removing the unit from the 'stake' is not difficult. 

Good luck!

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
I requested a free weather station from Bloomsky and was selected!  It arrived during the week and I set it up last Sunday afternoon.  The folks at Bloomsky are encouraging us to get as many followers as we can.  If you have the Bloomsky out there, please follow:

Crestmoor Station in San Bruno, CA

The first day I had the camera pointed straight up, but lowered it to capture more of the surroundings Monday evening.

Followed and favourited.

Chris

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2016, 01:14:00 PM »
Just found this thread and I filled in the application.  I think I'll be close to "under the wire" seeing as how the deadline is midnight PST.... tonight.  :-)  Hope I'm successful.  It'll be a cool thing to add to my station.

Chris

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
I got my invite and read through all the detail and went to order using the include redemption code (which I assume is what marks it for being free) and it said the code was no longer valid?  I just got the email today.

Seems very sketchy.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
It could be because they've extended the deadline a few times?
Tony

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
It could be because they've extended the deadline a few times?

I was able to get hold of someone and they fixed it.  Mine is on the way...
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2016, 05:07:49 PM »
I got my invite and read through all the detail and went to order using the include redemption code (which I assume is what marks it for being free) and it said the code was no longer valid?  I just got the email today.

Seems very sketchy.

Call them

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
Ahhh  I hope I did not miss mine the notification was in my spam folder I just caught it today.

Did the sign on and redemption code and it said it was approved but it is past the deadline.

Hope it goes thru.

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2016, 05:10:14 PM »

Seems very sketchy.

Call them

I emailed someone there and they corrected the issue.  Unit ordered and waiting on notification of shipment.  :)
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:23 PM »
My daughter got approved also.  She wants to be a spotter and wants me to do a website for her too eventually.
Tony

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
Do you guys know about anyone being approved who is not from the US or Canada?

Offline tosealer

• Seal Backyard Weather
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:35 PM »
Filled out the request form yesterday, and got an email today that I've been accepted.  Now, just need to find out shipping and potential duties before I join.

Toronto, ON  Canada
Davis VP2/WeatherDisplay
www.SealWeather.ca

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
Haven't heard of anyone yet.
You may want to contact them about that.
I'm sure exposure outside of the US would be a plus.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2016, 08:55:44 PM »
Filled out the request form yesterday, and got an email today that I've been accepted.  Now, just need to find out shipping and potential duties before I join.
Me too. Although my acceptance email took 4 days.
Just have to read the directions and get it shipped.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2016, 09:06:07 PM »
tosealer,
Haven't heard yet from UPS but the tracking now shows mine to be delivered by the end of day Tuesday, Feb 16th
Scheduled Delivery: Tuesday, 02/16/2016, By End of Day  Last Location: Arrived - Hodgkins, IL, United States, Thursday, 02/11/2016

Strange that from the tracking I thought it was in London, ON a few days ago.
London, ON, Canada 02/09/2016 5:34 P.M. The receiver must pay the duties or taxes due on the package.
02/09/2016 5:07 P.M. The package is awaiting clearing agency review. / Your package was released by the clearing agency.
02/09/2016 3:56 A.M. Your package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.
Sunnyvale, CA, United States 02/08/2016 11:30 P.M. Departure Scan
02/08/2016 10:29 P.M. Origin Scan
02/08/2016 5:42 P.M. Pickup Scan
United States 02/06/2016 2:10 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I won't be able to tell you the duty and import fees until I get it. (shipping was $18 charged by BloomSky - I was going from memory, and looking at their billing it was $19.99 U$ they charged )

Paul
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:10:53 PM by PaulMy »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 12:12:28 AM »
Received an acceptance email from Bloomsky today. That took only 2-days from my submission. Have placed my order. The shipping options costs were either $19.99 for regular delivery (5-7 bus days) or $21.88 for 1-5 days delivery via UPS. I selected the latter since it was less than $2.00 difference and I get great UPS service here.

Are there any on-line manuals for installation and/or operation available? I've looked but haven't found any, so far.

Never mind, I found the User Guide link:Question - can the mounting kit be attached to 4"x4" post? I want to mount it about 5-feet high on a 4x4 post, if at all possible.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 12:30:03 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ajkimoto

• Crestmoor Station
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2016, 02:23:39 AM »
The mounting kit can indeed be attached to a 4x4 post.  I recently attached mine to a 4x6 post on a retaining wall--there are screw holes on the side of the bracket.  The shape of the bracket itself makes it a little tricky to get to the screws, but it can be done.  The only thing i wish is that they made the one row of screws with lateral wiggle room to make it easier to level the unit.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2016, 05:29:49 AM »
Has anyone mounted this on a triangular antenna tower?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2016, 07:16:30 AM »

I thought about this early on.  When you look at their global Google map, it appears they have stations world-wide.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »
Yes, which is why I thought at least someone would also be accepted, but so far no-one outside US or Canada seems to have been approved for this. I myself tried applying too and no-one ever got back to me.