Author Topic: Adding new PWS, neighborhood defaults to city  (Read 3402 times)

Offline shward1

Adding new PWS, neighborhood defaults to city
« on: April 18, 2019, 11:46:35 PM »
When creating a new PWS using the new interface the Neighborhood variable is automatically populated with the city that corresponds to your address and there is no way to change it.  This means that everyone creating a new PWS (or, adding a New Device per new interface) that lives in the same city will have the exact same Station Name displayed.  Changing the Name field in the edit device screen does not change the Station Name that is displayed.

Please fix this!

Offline AlanD96

Re: Adding new PWS, neighborhood defaults to city
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
I share your frustration.  WU gave my new PWS incorrectly the name of a small subdivision of homes about a mile from me.   I wish I could change mine also.   

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
This is similar with Davis WeatherLink2, the new age of digital incompleteness and dictatorship 

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
I share your frustration.  WU gave my new PWS incorrectly the name of a small subdivision of homes about a mile from me.   I wish I could change mine also.

I believe the problem is that these companies are using outdated data that could be from old USGS maps, perhaps decades old.  It's very expensive and time-consuming to maintain these mapping layers.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 07:34:08 PM »

I believe the problem is that these companies are using outdated data that could be from old USGS maps, perhaps decades old.  It's very expensive and time-consuming to maintain these mapping layers.

No these are so called modern digital applications, it is not so much the mapping accuracy but the underlying application as controlled from a programming context relative to location naming which is mostly related to street naming type conventions until one starts to zoom out.  Davis have changed also http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36395.0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:40:34 PM by Mattk »

Offline shward1

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 09:43:54 PM »
The real problem is that the "Neighborhood" field is being auto populated with the city name and WU is not allowing it to be changed by the PWS owner.  This has nothing at all to do with outdated maps or poor mapping accuracy.  In my case, my location on the map is dead on.  However, because the "Neighborhood" field is now auto populated and not editable, and the station name is the same as the "Neighborhood" field, everyone who adds a station in the same city as I am in, will have the exact same Station Name.  I want to be able to distinguish my station from all other stations in the same city by having a station name that is unique.

In the new "My Devices" screen I can modify the "Name" field but that does not result in the "Neighborhood" field or station name changing.  Before the update/migration, I was able to change the "Neighborhood" to what ever I desired, in my case I called it "Casa Loma" which is the name of my actual neighborhood.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:06:58 PM by shward1 »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
Sorry shward1, I'm having a hard time visualizing the issue because I haven't added a device since this new system came online.  Maybe post a screen capture of the process?

Offline shward1

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 10:07:38 PM »
Sorry shward1, I'm having a hard time visualizing the issue because I haven't added a device since this new system came online.  Maybe post a screen capture of the process?

Please see updates in my previous post.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:09:11 PM by shward1 »

Offline shward1

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 10:25:36 PM »
These captures show the steps creating a new station.  I've used the old interface in the last capture only because the new interface gives an error for stations that haven't actually reported any data.

Notice the Station Name is the same as the previous station I created.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
I see what you mean now.  I remember setting mine manually several years ago.  You may need to get the attention of the WU staff for this one.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline shward1

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
I see what you mean now.  I remember setting mine manually several years ago.  You may need to get the attention of the WU staff for this one.

I am not sure how to get the attention of anyone affiliated with WU.  I've sent numerous email messages to WU support and posted on this board, so far no response.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
You may have already tried this, but what happens if you select "Manual" on the first setup page?

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
WU also appear to have a thing with incorrect Lats & Long nomenclature, 97.177°W would be valid, -97.177° is also valid, -97.177°W is like having 2 negatives which is a little meaningless as no mapping system will know what t do with it   

Offline shward1

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 10:40:33 PM »
You may have already tried this, but what happens if you select "Manual" on the first setup page?

Yes, I have tried that.  Manual allows you to input "Lat,Long" which is then automatically translated to an address, in my case the translation is accurate.  The end result is exactly the same.

Update:
Sorry, I gave an incorrect description above.  Manual allows you to input "Lat,Long" to pin point location.  Everything is the same and yields the exact same result.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:45:50 PM by shward1 »

Offline shward1

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
WU also appear to have a thing with incorrect Lats & Long nomenclature, 97.177°W would be valid, -97.177° is also valid, -97.177°W is like having 2 negatives which is a little meaningless as no mapping system will know what t do with it   

I have noticed this as well...

Offline shward1

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 11:00:53 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's comments.  My hope is that if this thread gets enough views and replies someone at WU will take notice and engage.

Offline farcus

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2019, 06:29:26 AM »

I am not sure how to get the attention of anyone affiliated with WU.  I've sent numerous email messages to WU support and posted on this board, so far no response.

Weather Underground are aware of the issue . . .
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36578.msg376556#msg376556

Offline shward1

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »

Weather Underground are aware of the issue . . .
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36578.msg376556#msg376556

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 09:55:45 PM »
I was just wondering about weather station names. For many years, several stations in my neighborhood were identified in a sensible way, with street intersection, and the like. Suddenly, a few days ago, they ALL were listed with ONE NAME - that of my entire neighborhood. Totally worthless. That problem now seems to have resolved itself, but WU was getting massively confused.

Offline skimoose

• South Chilcotin Webcams
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »
This is still an issue! I tried to set a new PWS up today and I'm having the same problem with the generic neighbourhood assignment and no way to edit it. So frustrating!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 03:48:36 PM »
This is still an issue! I tried to set a new PWS up today and I'm having the same problem with the generic neighbourhood assignment and no way to edit it. So frustrating!!

:-(  Yes I totally agree.

Issue tracked here (it doesn't mean anything nor that it will ever get fixed).
https://trello.com/c/koohtgbX

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ConiferA

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 09:37:13 AM »
Welp, it is almost December 2021 and I ended up here trying to find an answer. It is still not fixed. :roll: Does WU have any updates?

Offline Eno

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 11:19:02 AM »
Do we know that WU considers it something to be fixed?  Maybe it's deliberate to make it easier for them to manage the data somehow.

Leave it to WU to take the Personal out of Personal Weather Stations.

Offline ConiferA

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
it is on their open issue list. They tried to close it, but reopened it. I posted there, too, and asked for status

Offline KD8DWO

• Frog pond
    • Wunderground History
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 11:34:33 AM »
Well, I've been sending data to Wunderground since 2004, give or take a year. A station owned by a neighbor was recently taken down. Now my data is being listed from their location, a half a mile away. I finally turned off the the uploads to Wunderground, and am not looking back.
Knacht