Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 118675 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1050 on: April 08, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
I put the Weather Link ID info into the control panel of the WiFi Logger section for AWEKAS.

Isn't the logger sending that direct to AWEKAS? Doesn't AWEKAS  just think it is getting info from WeatherLink IP?
If you have chosen on Awekas web page Report mode: Davis Weather Link IP and additional you add data in fields: Meteobase / Weather Link IP and Weatherlink IP password
Then you should disable Awekas in WiFiLogger.
Awekas is downloading data from your WeatherLink.com account. Which is very good.

If you would like to use WiFiLogger with Awekas, please chose MyAWEKAS direct link on AWEKAS web page
then put login and password in WiFiLogger.
Those are same login and password which you are using to login to AWEKAS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1051 on: April 08, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »
Hello all, I have searched the forum, as well as I know how, and am unable to find an answer to my specific question:  Is there a way to access the local IP web page for the WFL from a location that is not local?  We spend a considerable amount of time each year in Florida and I would like to have access to the WFL (in NC) just in case there is an issue. Thanks!
There is a few weather stations with WFL which are shared to the internet. This can be done by port forwarding option in router, but there is another problem.
Almost all ISPs deliver internet service with public IP address (which is good), but this IP address is changing every router reboot (which is bad for this solution).
IP address is like telephone number, it is good when you have same for 20 years, then your friends can make a call to you. If you have every day different telephone number, then no one will call you. You can make a call only.
There is a cure, but not for free in most cases. It is called DDNS service. There are some internet services called DDNS. You need to have account and pay for some solutions on this account (like in whole internet).
You router report IP address to this service, then when you would like to communicate with your router, you ask this DDNS service to redirect you to your router.

When you reach your router it is blocked for all connections from the internet, this is because of internet structure + for virus/hackers safety.
You can allow to connect to the WFL in your home network using option in your router called PORT FORWARDING.

To prevent WiFiLogger from pest internet users. You have option to add setup protection on SYSTEM page. When you enable this option, then you will be able to see only first page and arch page from WiFiLogger, for other you will need user and password.
TIP: when you forget your user and password then setup mode (red button) will disable this protection temporary and you will be able to change this password.

If the WFL does not use https with TLS for authentication and encryption then this is not the best recommended practice as you'd then be sending your password in clear text across the Internet. Which is why I recommended using a host computer to securely remote into the network with first and then have at the WFL then through that computer.

Even if the WFL were to support https with TLS you are still vulnerable to any security weaknesses of the WFL by putting it directly on the Internet, thereby exposing and making it be an intrusion weak point on your network. Therefore it is still best practice to remote into the network via a more hardened system like a computer with regular security updates.

Another secure method is to set up a VPN endpoint on your router. Then you use a VPN client like OpenVPN which most decent home routers will support. Then you don't need to have a computer to remote into that network. You simply connect to that network with the VPN client software (OpenVPN) and then you have gained access to that network securely and can now talk directly to the WFL. OpenVPN is supported on just about any platform; Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS. It is still easier to set up a remote computer than setting up a VPN, which is why I recommended that solution first.

These days people get confused when they hear of using a VPN. They think a VPN is only to hide their traffic or pretend to be in another country. Well yes it works for that too. But VPN technology has been around for a while before these uses were common. A VPN simply lets you remote into another network. What you do after that is well something else. If you VPN into your home network and then if the VPN tunnel is configured for outbound access and you change your default gateway in the VPN client to use the remote gateway then you too can pretend to be surfing the web from your home when you aren't at home. Lots of corporations have used VPNs for a very long time to support their employees that work remotely so that they can gain access to internal systems and resources. VPNs can also be used to join two networks (point to point VPN) so that either location (or multiple locations) can access remote resources as if they were one local network.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 10:57:11 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1052 on: April 08, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »
I put the Weather Link ID info into the control panel of the WiFi Logger section for AWEKAS.

Isn't the logger sending that direct to AWEKAS? Doesn't AWEKAS  just think it is getting info from WeatherLink IP?
If you have chosen on Awekas web page Report mode: Davis Weather Link IP and additional you add data in fields: Meteobase / Weather Link IP and Weatherlink IP password
Then you should disable Awekas in WiFiLogger.
Awekas is downloading data from your WeatherLink.com account. Which is very good.

If you would like to use WiFiLogger with Awekas, please chose MyAWEKAS direct link on AWEKAS web page
then put login and password in WiFiLogger.
Those are same login and password which you are using to login to AWEKAS.
I see the system now. Thanks for the info.

I need to break out the red button to the outside of the console lol.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:45:30 AM by davidmc36 »

Offline SmittythePirate

« Reply #1053 on: April 09, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
So thanks for the advice.  I've played around with a few of the templates and I am currently working on trying to get the weather34 dashboard to work. 

The latest issue I've had however is with the data in realtime.txt.  Has anybody had an issue with the FTP file settings not changing after you make the change?  For instance When changing the temperature to any settings I still get the Fahrenheit temperature to the tenth degree.  Changing it to Celsius or even the whole degree does not change the data in the realtime file.

Changing the date format does work so I know it is at least updating that part of the file.

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1054 on: April 09, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
Hello all, I have searched the forum, as well as I know how, and am unable to find an answer to my specific question:  Is there a way to access the local IP web page for the WFL from a location that is not local?  We spend a considerable amount of time each year in Florida and I would like to have access to the WFL (in NC) just in case there is an issue. Thanks!
There is a few weather stations with WFL which are shared to the internet. This can be done by port forwarding option in router, but there is another problem.
Almost all ISPs deliver internet service with public IP address (which is good), but this IP address is changing every router reboot (which is bad for this solution).
IP address is like telephone number, it is good when you have same for 20 years, then your friends can make a call to you. If you have every day different telephone number, then no one will call you. You can make a call only.
There is a cure, but not for free in most cases. It is called DDNS service. There are some internet services called DDNS. You need to have account and pay for some solutions on this account (like in whole internet).
You router report IP address to this service, then when you would like to communicate with your router, you ask this DDNS service to redirect you to your router.

When you reach your router it is blocked for all connections from the internet, this is because of internet structure + for virus/hackers safety.
You can allow to connect to the WFL in your home network using option in your router called PORT FORWARDING.

To prevent WiFiLogger from pest internet users. You have option to add setup protection on SYSTEM page. When you enable this option, then you will be able to see only first page and arch page from WiFiLogger, for other you will need user and password.
TIP: when you forget your user and password then setup mode (red button) will disable this protection temporary and you will be able to change this password.

If the WFL does not use https with TLS for authentication and encryption then this is not the best recommended practice as you'd then be sending your password in clear text across the Internet. Which is why I recommended using a host computer to securely remote into the network with first and then have at the WFL then through that computer.

Even if the WFL were to support https with TLS you are still vulnerable to any security weaknesses of the WFL by putting it directly on the Internet, thereby exposing and making it be an intrusion weak point on your network. Therefore it is still best practice to remote into the network via a more hardened system like a computer with regular security updates.

Another secure method is to set up a VPN endpoint on your router. Then you use a VPN client like OpenVPN which most decent home routers will support. Then you don't need to have a computer to remote into that network. You simply connect to that network with the VPN client software (OpenVPN) and then you have gained access to that network securely and can now talk directly to the WFL. OpenVPN is supported on just about any platform; Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS. It is still easier to set up a remote computer than setting up a VPN, which is why I recommended that solution first.

These days people get confused when they hear of using a VPN. They think a VPN is only to hide their traffic or pretend to be in another country. Well yes it works for that too. But VPN technology has been around for a while before these uses were common. A VPN simply lets you remote into another network. What you do after that is well something else. If you VPN into your home network and then if the VPN tunnel is configured for outbound access and you change your default gateway in the VPN client to use the remote gateway then you too can pretend to be surfing the web from your home when you aren't at home. Lots of corporations have used VPNs for a very long time to support their employees that work remotely so that they can gain access to internal systems and resources. VPNs can also be used to join two networks (point to point VPN) so that either location (or multiple locations) can access remote resources as if they were one local network.

Thank you WiFiLogger and galfert!  You guys have really given me a lot to think about.  I have ordered a wifi enabled AC outlet to accomplish remotely turning on a computer that is on my home network and then accessing the WFL.  But, I must say, I am intrigued by your ideas and I am now reading and learning from the OpenVPN website.  I have gigabit fiber internet at my home and it seems that there are plenty of interesting ideas with the VPN.  Might be doable, we'll see. 

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1055 on: April 09, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
I like the WiFi plug. If I put the RPi on it, I already use VNC on there. The only drawback to a complete solution is the cheapo IP cameras I have for watching the pups only interface with IE. I don’t mess with them often though.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1056 on: April 09, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »
Cheapo IP cameras probably interface with rtsp or onvif. You just need a run-of-the-mill video streaming player.
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1057 on: April 09, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
Viewing is easy. The Pi at home is for config.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1058 on: April 09, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »
Hmm...yeah then your IP camera config on the Pi isn't going to work. Keep on eye out for IE Tab as they have said that they are looking to maybe support a Linux version in the future.

https://www.ietab.net/faq
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1059 on: April 13, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
Brought to my attention by davidmc36, every WiFiLogger station seems to be having problems with WU new Rapidfire website.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36488.msg376342#msg376342

I've checked out several WiFiLogger stations and they all have this problem of being stuck with 1 minute update showing or sometimes I've seen 3 minutes stuck. The updates are happening but it is just the indicator of minutes that is stuck.

I think the problem is a combination of the new WU Rapidfire implementation and how frequently the WiFiLogger updates. The WiFiLogger is probably updating too quickly. I don't know what the WiFiLogger is set to but maybe it shouldn't be less than 5 seconds for it to work with the new WU Rapidfire that seems to only indicate updates at 5 second intervals.
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1060 on: April 13, 2019, 08:14:41 AM »
I have been set at 10 seconds for about 12 hours now. Still shows one minute. Old site is fine.

Did the update to 2.16. WiFi seems to work a bit “smoother”??

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1061 on: April 17, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
So thanks for the advice.  I've played around with a few of the templates and I am currently working on trying to get the weather34 dashboard to work. 

The latest issue I've had however is with the data in realtime.txt.  Has anybody had an issue with the FTP file settings not changing after you make the change?  For instance When changing the temperature to any settings I still get the Fahrenheit temperature to the tenth degree.  Changing it to Celsius or even the whole degree does not change the data in the realtime file.

Changing the date format does work so I know it is at least updating that part of the file.

Changing time format was added not long ago for italian customer. Realtime.txt is fixed to Celcious, but that don't have to be like this.
Problem with realtime.txt is that it should have additional statistic data which console does not have it, and console is providing other data which realtime.txt is not needed, like leaf wetness, soil temp, soil moisture etc.
Only WeatherLink, WeatherLink.com and WFL's custom export (JSON) are providing all info from console.
My problem is that I have set my goal to provide all info from console to the internet via WiFi. I just want to stick to this plan.
I know that Cumulus is reading console real time data every 2 sec. and make own statistics.
Davis console has small amount of wind info. Sometimes console data is incompatible with weather service needs, but still my work is to provide data from console, not to change Davis standards.
eg.
Davis provides:
current wind direction
current wind speed
2min average wind speed
10 min average wind speed
10 min gust
direction for 10 min gust.

Now let say that there is a weather service which would like to have:
- 2 min average wind speed
- average wind direction for 2 min average wind speed.

In that case I can only use:
current wind direction
10 min wind gust direction.

Summary:
I have made realtime.txt export because there are some compatible software for it.
I am not happy, because console data is not 100% compatible with this file.
If this file needs any repair/modification it can be done :)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1062 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
I have been set at 10 seconds for about 12 hours now. Still shows one minute. Old site is fine.

Did the update to 2.16. WiFi seems to work a bit “smoother”??
I didn't make any changes in WU export.
Firmware 2.16 has repaired solar radiation for weathercloud.net. I have made a mistake and I didn't test it, because I don't have solar and UV sensor.
Nothing very important.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #1063 on: April 18, 2019, 05:48:17 PM »
Would this work with meteohub?

I need to collect data to upload to my site :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1064 on: April 18, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »

Nope. It is designed to plug into a Davis console into its data logger port.
EDIT: Sorry I read what you wrote and thought Meteoplug for some reason.

So the Meteohub should work to get data from your Vue console with a WiFiLogger which acts like a WeatherlinkIP.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:57:50 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #1065 on: April 18, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »

So the Meteohub should work to get data from your Vue console with a WiFiLogger which acts like a WeatherlinkIP.

Awesome!

So I just setup Meteohub to use a normal weatherlinkip right?

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1066 on: April 18, 2019, 07:04:09 PM »

Awesome!

So I just setup Meteohub to use a normal weatherlinkip right?

Yes.
Tele-Pole

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1067 on: April 18, 2019, 09:49:48 PM »
I just got the wifilogger and put it into my Vantage VP2 and it connected to my router.  I've had my station uploading to WU for years with the Davis Weatherlink.  My station is still listed on WU, but not getting any data streaming to it.  How do I get my data back on to WU?  Are there any specific directions?  Any help would be appreciated!!

thanks
  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1068 on: April 18, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
In WiFiLogger Setup tab Data Export Setup have you set the export settings for Weather Underground?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1069 on: April 18, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply!  I set it up under data export and went to WU and entered my station number KMNROSEM5 and my password for WU and clicked save.  My WU page where I look at my data says unavailable and OFFLINE.  but when I go to my devices, it indicates that it is online, but doesn't show up in the list of weather stations in my area.  Can you help?
thank

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1070 on: April 18, 2019, 10:40:56 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick reply!  I set it up under data export and went to WU and entered my station number KMNROSEM5 and my password for WU and clicked save.  My WU page where I look at my data says unavailable and OFFLINE.  but when I go to my devices, it indicates that it is online, but doesn't show up in the list of weather stations in my area.  Can you help?
thank

You don't use your WU password. You need to use that station's key instead. You get the station key form the My Devices page.
https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices

Ignore station status Online vs Offline. It isn't working. Everyone's station shows Online. I have test stations that I know are off and they all show as Online. WU has said they are working on fixing this.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:43:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1071 on: April 18, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
In the WiFiLogger Weather Underground settings Password field, yes you enter the WU key.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1072 on: April 18, 2019, 11:44:32 PM »
Hi,
Thanks!  I have the export settings for wunderground set up as:

Mode: enable
Station ID: KMNROSEM5
Password: WU Key
Interval: 1 min
Rapid Fire: Disable
RapidFire Int: 3 sec

I then go to WU and check my station and it's not showing up, when I click under my PWS and click on my stations name Radar and Rangers house, it tells me I am offline and the current condition map, all of the features say unavailable.  My internet connection is live and stable.  I can surf and go anywhere.  The VP2 console is providing data and temps etc like it always does and when I go to the IP address and click on real time data, the info is right there and matching what is on the console.  It appears that for some reason that info isn't getting transmitted to Wunderground.  What could be the issue?  I was using weatherlink 6.0.3 to upload it with the weatherlink software but I don't have the USB connected and went into the software and deleted my station number and password, so there is nothing logging into wunderground from a disconnected console...what else can I do?
thanks

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1073 on: April 19, 2019, 12:01:46 AM »
Just checking in again here. Still 0 issues with WifiLogger.  Mine has been uploading flawlessly to PWS for the past month at least.

However, I really cannot stand the 0.1mm increments on PWS anymore. It puts my final rainfall totals so out of whack. Does anyone know an alternative website I can upload to that's compatible with 0.2mm increments instead? I'm not sure if Wunderground can...any others?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1074 on: April 19, 2019, 02:54:29 AM »
Hi,
Thanks!  I have the export settings for wunderground set up as:

Mode: enable
Station ID: KMNROSEM5
Password: WU Key
Interval: 1 min
Rapid Fire: Disable
RapidFire Int: 3 sec

I then go to WU and check my station and it's not showing up, when I click under my PWS and click on my stations name Radar and Rangers house, it tells me I am offline and the current condition map, all of the features say unavailable.  My internet connection is live and stable.  I can surf and go anywhere.  The VP2 console is providing data and temps etc like it always does and when I go to the IP address and click on real time data, the info is right there and matching what is on the console.  It appears that for some reason that info isn't getting transmitted to Wunderground.  What could be the issue?  I was using weatherlink 6.0.3 to upload it with the weatherlink software but I don't have the USB connected and went into the software and deleted my station number and password, so there is nothing logging into wunderground from a disconnected console...what else can I do?
thanks

Can you check if you don't have any fancy signs in password? Like #@!%^&*&*( ?