Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 118691 times)

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1025 on: April 05, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
I have mine sending to weatherlink (ip) and then I use the weatherlink.com script.
www.kennettweather.com

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #1026 on: April 05, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
The WFL is only a logger.  It doesn't do some of the functions required to calculate the numbers.  You will need software such as Cumulus MX or WeatherDisplay to act as the middle man to post the actual data.

Cumulus is free.  WeatherDisplay is reasonably priced.  Cumulus can run on a Raspberry PI.  I believe WD can as well.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1027 on: April 05, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »
The WFL is only a logger.  It doesn't do some of the functions required to calculate the numbers.  You will need software such as Cumulus MX or WeatherDisplay to act as the middle man to post the actual data.

Cumulus is free.  WeatherDisplay is reasonably priced.  Cumulus can run on a Raspberry PI.  I believe WD can as well.

weewx is also free, runs well on a Pi, and works well with the WFL.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #1028 on: April 05, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
Except I don't see a plugin for WeeWx and the Saratoga scripts mentioned.

Cumulus, Meteobridge/Hub, VWS, WD, Weatherlink, WeatherCat, Weather Snoop, Weather View, and WX Solution are the only ones that work with Saratoga.

Cumulus, Meto, and WD are the most popular among those.  Personally, I'd recommend Cumulus.  But that's just me.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1029 on: April 05, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
Hello all, I have searched the forum, as well as I know how, and am unable to find an answer to my specific question:  Is there a way to access the local IP web page for the WFL from a location that is not local?  We spend a considerable amount of time each year in Florida and I would like to have access to the WFL (in NC) just in case there is an issue. Thanks!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1030 on: April 05, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Hello all, I have searched the forum, as well as I know how, and am unable to find an answer to my specific question:  Is there a way to access the local IP web page for the WFL from a location that is not local?  We spend a considerable amount of time each year in Florida and I would like to have access to the WFL (in NC) just in case there is an issue. Thanks!

Although you could open firewall port(s) and allow a direct connection to the WFL I would recommend not doing so. This would probably also require port redirection as many ISP's block port 80. Just don't do this for many reason's I won't go into. Security is key.

Instead....Set up a computer on that network and then configure it for remote access using any number of multitude of methods to accomplish this. Then ensure you leave it running 24/7. It doesn't need to use up a ton of energy if you get an energy efficient lean system....or you configure WOL (Wake on LAN) or WoWLAN. Then to use WOL or WoWLAN you first remote into the router...use the router's WOL feature to power up the remote host computer (some decent home routers have this option). Then wait a few moments to let that computer boot up.  Then you are ready to remote into the computer. Then you can set it to power off after x minutes of inactivity.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:11:27 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1031 on: April 06, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »

Although you could open firewall port(s) and allow a direct connection to the WFL I would recommend not doing so. This would probably also require port redirection as many ISP's block port 80. Just don't do this for many reason's I won't go into. Security is key.

Instead....Set up a computer on that network and then configure it for remote access using any number of multitude of methods to accomplish this. Then ensure you leave it running 24/7. It doesn't need to use up a ton of energy if you get an energy efficient lean system....or you configure WOL (Wake on LAN) or WoWLAN. Then to use WOL or WoWLAN you first remote into the router...use the router's WOL feature to power up the remote host computer (some decent home routers have this option). Then wait a few moments to let that computer boot up.  Then you are ready to remote into the computer. Then you can set it to power off after x minutes of inactivity.

Thank you galfert.  I like the idea of the WOL feature especially since one of the main reasons I purchased the WFL is to eliminate the need to keep a dedicated computer running 24/7.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1032 on: April 06, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
If figuring out WOL or WoWLAN is too complicated or your router doesn't have this feature, another simpler method is to use SmartThings with either a smart outlet or smart wall power adapter. Or you can use a smart WiFi power adapter that doesn't need a smart home hub. But then you need to make sure the BIOS of the computer has the proper setting configured to Always Power On upon AC power restoration. Then to use computer remotely you first trigger smart power module and the computer should turn on and boot up. Then you remote in. When done you shutdown computer. Then when you need to remote in again you again trigger smart power module, and you are good to go again.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:19:26 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #1033 on: April 06, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Perhaps worth adding here that WFL is perfectly capable of uploading data for eg a remote real-time dashboard whether by FTP or MQTT. But the missing piece of the jigsaw is that AFAIK no-one has either written a new dashboard or tweaked/documented an existing one to accept data in a format that WFL can generate, especially the JSON formats.

That said, WFL can generate data is the realtime.txt format used by Cumulus so one of the Cumulus templates or eg Steelseries gauges ought to be compatible with maybe a little tweaking. There may be some secondary data fields missing relative to what the full Cumulus program can generate but nothing that would stop a WFL dashboard being perfectly useful. Just needs a little work by someone with an interest in these things. An MQTT-based dashboard could potentially show wind data in real-time but AFAIK this feature has not been tested in anger yet.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:13:37 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1034 on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
Perhaps worth adding here that WFL is perfectly capable of uploading data for eg a remote real-time dashboard whether by FTP or MQTT. But the missing piece of the jigsaw is that AFAIK no-one has either written a new dashboard or tweaked/documented an existing one to accept data in a format that WFL can generate, especially the JSON formats.

That said, WFL can generate data is the realtime.txt format used by Cumulus so one of the Cumulus templates or eg Steelseries gauges ought to be compatible with maybe a little tweaking. There may be some secondary data fields missing relative to what the full Cumulus program can generate but nothing that would stop a WFL dashboard being perfectly useful. Just needs a little work by someone with an interest in these things. An MQTT-based dashboard could potentially show wind data in real-time but AFAIK this feature has not been tested in anger yet.

I have just installed the Weatherist34 HWS for Cumulus and using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt http://www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/realtime.txt
and that seems to work fine for the current data http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-cu/

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #1035 on: April 06, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »
I have just installed the Weatherist34 HWS for Cumulus and using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt http://www.komokaweather.com/wifi-console/realtime.txt
and that seems to work fine for the current data http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-cu/

OK thanks Paul. I was hoping that someone might have done this and might chime in. Are there any easy-to-follow instructions online for setting up the template that could be passed on to potential users? (On the server side I mean - setting up the WFL uploads should be straightforward.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1036 on: April 06, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
If figuring out WOL or WoWLAN is too complicated or your router doesn't have this feature, another simpler method is to use SmartThings with either a smart outlet or smart wall power adapter. Or you can use a smart WiFi power adapter that doesn't need a smart home hub. But then you need to make sure the BIOS of the computer has the proper setting configured to Always Power On upon AC power restoration. Then to use computer remotely you first trigger smart power module and the computer should turn on and boot up. Then you remote in. When done you shutdown computer. Then when you need to remote in again you again trigger smart power module, and you are good to go again.

Thanks again galfert, I do have the bios on that computer set to resart when power is restored and the rest of your idea seems doable and simple which is the perfect combination for me.

Thanks also to johnd and PaulMy for your suggestions.  Seeing the real-time data would be great (and it looks cool!!) but my hope is that I would be able to interact with the setup/management pages on the WFL.  Under what conditions would this possible?   

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1037 on: April 06, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »
There are now several versions of the Weatherist34 HomeWeather PWS template and I think I have tried nearly all of them...
Most recent:
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wu/
http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-cu/
The first uses the Cumulus program realtime.txt and that is the full data provided by Cumulus running on PC 24/7.
The 2nd uses the WU API data.
The 3rd one is from the WiFiLogger realtime.txt and as johnd pointed out it does not have the extra data that Cumulus provides.  But enough for the HWPWS to display all its current data.  No 24/7 PC needed for this, just the WiFiLogger realtime.txt uploads.

All I've done is for this WiFiLogger version is download the zip https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/HomeWeatherStationTemplate, unzip, upload the whole lot to my webserver /pws-cu, do the initial settings through the easyweathersetup popup page, including the path to the realtime.txt and you're all done.  Now the template also has several other weather sources like WU, DarkSky, etc., and local METAR and the user will need to get API's from those sources as indicated in the easyweathersetup popup page.

I presume it would be quite easy for a more talented coder to create any kind of weather page using the WiFiLogger realtime.txt or the wflexp.json files.  Or upload the realtime.txt in to a MySQL DB (which I do by cronjob) and then a script calling on that data.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:43:38 PM by PaulMy »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1038 on: April 06, 2019, 03:31:23 PM »
Does someone know what I would put in the “Reporting Mode” drop-down to sign up at AWEKAS so it will work with the WiFi Logger?

TIA

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1039 on: April 06, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
The WiFiLogger is not listed in that pulldown, and as the WiFiLogger emulates the Weatherlink IP I'd suggest that is what try.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1040 on: April 06, 2019, 06:33:01 PM »
The WiFiLogger is not listed in that pulldown, and as the WiFiLogger emulates the Weatherlink IP I'd suggest that is what try.

Enjoy,
Paul
If you chose that, two more pull-downs populate looking for WeatherLink ID and PWD. Not sure what to do there.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1041 on: April 06, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
I already had my site at AWEKAS for my Cumulus uploads from years ago and used that Username and Password for my WiFiLogger.  Maybe someone else that set it up from scratch, or Wojtek, may have the answer for you.  Or you could try to get an account by selecting one of the others like Cumulus and see if that will get you through the setup and give you an AWEKAS ID number.  It has been nearly a year since I set up the WiFiLogger but think you only need an AWEKAS user name and password for the WiFiLogger upload.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #1042 on: April 06, 2019, 11:38:05 PM »
I just discovered that the Openweathermap upload function of the NanoSD is “ experimental “ and for me isn’t uploading at all.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1043 on: April 07, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
I already had my site at AWEKAS for my Cumulus uploads from years ago and used that Username and Password for my WiFiLogger.  Maybe someone else that set it up from scratch, or Wojtek, may have the answer for you.  Or you could try to get an account by selecting one of the others like Cumulus and see if that will get you through the setup and give you an AWEKAS ID number.  It has been nearly a year since I set up the WiFiLogger but think you only need an AWEKAS user name and password for the WiFiLogger upload.

Enjoy,
Paul
Thanks for assistance. Got it all up and running. Made WL IP account and that was the data needed. Cheers. David

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1044 on: April 07, 2019, 12:15:46 PM »
Sounds like someone needs to reach out to AWEKAS and get them to add the WFL to their list of supported devices for configuration purposes.
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1045 on: April 08, 2019, 05:37:49 AM »
There is a few weather stations with WFL which are shared to the internet. This can be done by port forwarding option in router, but there is another problem.
Almost all ISPs deliver internet service with public IP address (which is good), but this IP address is changing every router reboot (which is bad for this solution).
IP address is like telephone number, it is good when you have same for 20 years, then your friends can make a call to you. If you have every day different telephone number, then no one will call you. You can make a call only.
There is a cure, but not for free in most cases. It is called DDNS service. There are some internet services called DDNS. You need to have account and pay for some solutions on this account (like in whole internet).
You router report IP address to this service, then when you would like to communicate with your router, you ask this DDNS service to redirect you to your router.

When you reach your router it is blocked for all connections from the internet, this is because of internet structure + for virus/hackers safety.
You can allow to connect to the WFL in your home network using option in your router called PORT FORWARDING.

To prevent WiFiLogger from pest internet users. You have option to add setup protection on SYSTEM page. When you enable this option, then you will be able to see only first page and arch page from WiFiLogger, for other you will need user and password.
TIP: when you forget your user and password then setup mode (red button) will disable this protection temporary and you will be able to change this password.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1046 on: April 08, 2019, 05:49:55 AM »
Does someone know what I would put in the “Reporting Mode” drop-down to sign up at AWEKAS so it will work with the WiFi Logger?
TIA

In WiFiLogger I am using this implementation GitHub. I see that I will have to rewrite it, because it is out of date, but still working fine anyway.

Report mode: MyAWEKAS DirectLink,

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1047 on: April 08, 2019, 06:36:22 AM »
....using this implementation .....
Thanks. I got it reporting by signing up for a Weather Link account, then chosing WL iP as the method. Used my WL ID info from sign up and it seems to work.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1048 on: April 08, 2019, 07:14:45 AM »
....using this implementation .....
Thanks. I got it reporting by signing up for a Weather Link account, then chosing WL iP as the method. Used my WL ID info from sign up and it seems to work.

In this situation Awekas is downloading weather data from WeatherLink.com.
Because WL.com is perfectly good service and WiFiLogger is 1:1 with WL PC and WL IP(I hope), this solution is good.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1049 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »
I put the Weather Link ID info into the control panel of the WiFi Logger section for AWEKAS.

Isn't the logger sending that direct to AWEKAS? Doesn't AWEKAS  just think it is getting info from WeatherLink IP?