Author Topic: Bad sensor....no biscuit!  (Read 1296 times)

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
Bad sensor....no biscuit!
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:33:29 PM »
I just solved a very annoying problem. I have lots of OS sensors around the house and I started losing contact with almost all of them, all at once. It was intermittent and would come and go every few hours or so.

Finally tracked it down to a version 2.1 ultra-cold sensor with weak batteries. It was continuously transmitting an un-modulated carrier, and blocking all of the other sensor signals. The little red transmit LED in the sensor was continuously illuminated; that was the only indication that something was amiss. A change of batteries solved the problem.

I only found it because I had an ICOM handheld radio that I could tune to 433.92MHz. I walked around looking for where the signal was strongest. I don't know what I would have done w/o the radio...maybe just replace the batteries in every sensor.

I don't know if the version 3.0 sensors will do this with low batteries. But, if you suddenly lose contact with all your sensors, this would be one possibility to consider.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Bad sensor....no biscuit!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:45:13 PM »
I only found it because I had an ICOM handheld radio that I could tune to 433.92MHz.

I've also found such a radio receiver valuable for debugging.

Does anyone know of a *cheap* (say, under $20) audio receiver a non-ham could use to monitor for traffic and interference on that frequency?

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
Re: Bad sensor....no biscuit!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:15:01 AM »
I got the ICOM on sale (from Universal Radio maybe) for real cheap (couple hundred bucks if I recall). 150kHz to 1300MHz...a real bargain.

The only thing I know of in that price range would be low-end field strength meters. There's this at $30 but I have absolutely no idea how useful it would be:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-801

You can also search for "field strength meter" and find several articles for building one yourself.