Author Topic: Davis 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro 2 (2020) and some problems  (Read 3285 times)

Offline vortilon

Davis 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro 2 (2020) and some problems
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
I have a Davis 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro 2 (2020) and recently installed the Davis Weatherlink Live to upload and collect weather data. The system has been working flawlessly for three days and collapsed this morning with no more weather data on smartphone weatherlink application and browser app. It also lost Wifi connection with the 6100 Weather Link Live. When I checked weatherlink.com browser app I could see the system has started to have lack of RF signal in some occasions, especially on night and early morning hours when charts and graph presentations are broken in every several minutes. I checked a condition of device in accordance with the user's manual and also checked the ID 1 status what showed "Davis talk RSSI is "-106" and all percentage of all correctly received packets is only "9%". I was concerned about the small number of received packets, which may mean a problem with data transmission or the batteries run out. But what bothers me the most is that I am receiving the completely different weather parameters from the same station (id 1) at the same time and I don't know how is it possible?  I have a Davis console on the wall, which at the moment displays the outside temperature of 3.1 ° C, while the application gives me 2.9 °C? Moving on, the pressure from the console is 1003.7 hPa, and from the application 1004.3 hPa. the wind is also totally wrong with displayed speed and direction. I don't have slightest idea what is the reason for that? Is this difference in indications due to a delay in data transfer (lag) or some internal application settings (pro version). What do you think and what do you suggest I should do? First of all I am going to replace the battery on ISS. Please let me know does the 6100 Module receive and transfer data straight from the Consol on the wall or ISS mounted outside? What is the reason I can't setup and maintain WiFi connection (losing passwords on opening app). Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis 6152 Wireless Vantage Pro 2 (2020) and some problems
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 03:47:33 PM »
Weatherlink Live (WLL) receives direct from the sensor transmitter (ISS), not from the console.

Where you have the WLL positioned, it is clearly not receiving a good enough signal from the ISS. You need to move either ISS or WLL until you get a consistently better signal at the WLL.

If the WLL is not receiving continuous data from the ISS then it's not surprising that weatherlink.com data (from WLL) and console may show different data. Probably the WLL (and hence weatherlink.com) has only old data

Maybe the WLL has a bad WiFi RSSI also?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
Also the barometric pressure is different because the display console and the WLL each have their own barometric sensors, and own indoor temp/hum. You should though be able to calibrate so that they match.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:21:54 PM »
A few of us have found with the WLL, it is best to have one of the flat sides of the WLL, facing the direction of the ISS.  RSSI signal strength seem to be better. 

Of course you may need to move the WLL's location closer to ISS (or in direct line of sight through a window perhaps), but also check the WiFi RSSI of the WLL on weatherlink.com to make sure both signals are are in a good place.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline vortilon

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:31:54 AM »
After a few days of trouble-free operation of the WLL and after replacing the battery in the ISS with a new one, there is again a problem with uploading to the cloud and collecting weather data. Despite the fact that everything seems to be up and running (WLL blue LED flashes), weather parameters diagrams in the "CHART" tab are no longer drawn except for the pressure, which as I know comes from the WLL device itself. What do you think and what could be the reason for this? Weak Wi-Fi signal or maybe problems with connecting the station to the cloud? Enclosed you will find attachments. Please let me know your suggestion because I ran out of any ideas. Thank You.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:13 AM »
But you're not telling us what your Health tab at weatherlink.com says. As we've said previously, the most likely problem is either weak wireless reception of the sensor data by WLL or maybe weak WiFi (or maybe both). The RSSI numbers are on the Health tab, along with minimum recommended limits. What are your RSSI numbers?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vortilon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
I don't understand how this is possible because I was replacing the battery with a new one (Duracell CR123A 3V) last Saturday? Do you think that there may be a problem with the contacts where the battery is located or maybe the box is not tight enough and allows moisture and rain to penetrate inside, leading to battery discharge? As far as Wi-Fi is concerned there is only thin concrete wall between transmitter and receiver. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
WiFi RSSI looks fine so that's not the issue.

There's no RSSI showing for ID1, presumably because there's no reception at all. This can obviously happen for a couple of reasons:

1. If there's a transmitter fault (is it an old ISS maybe with a faulty supercap perhaps?) or if the transmitter is actually transmitting on a different channel

2. If the signal is just generally weak - distance too long or intervening obstructions? If the RSSI gets as low as -90 or lower then reception can become erratic, depending on eg weather conditions or interference or some other variables. You need to get the transmitter running again to see what the RSSI actually is.

My best guess if it's an old ISS is a supercap fault that's causing rapid battery exhaustion, but obviously there are other possibilities. Bad battery contacts are a theoretical fault but quite rare in practice, especially if the transmitter has been running OK and the battery has not been moved.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline vortilon

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 12:07:32 PM »
I have no idea what is going on with the ISS transmission? Interestingly, the ISS is still transmitting data to Console because the "x" symbol flashes in the lower right corner and the console is still receiving weather parameters, while WeatherLink does not show any action or graphs. I suspect the ISS module's power supply may be the main culprit because everything works normally when the solar panel is powered by solar energy. Yesterday the sun was shining all day long and the weather parameters graphs were drawing.  Today it is raining from the morning and the charts are gone. Maybe I should just check battery compartment contacts or replace the battery with a new one again. As I noticed he transmission came back to life for some time  ten minutes ago (enclosed graph) and now is gone again. Maybe the solar panel received enough energy to start transmision again? I don't know! What do you think I should do to make sure of the problem? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 12:25:46 PM »
I think it's been suggested three times now! When the ISS IS transmitting to the WLL then see what the ID1 RSSI is showing on the Health tab. That will tell us if the ISS signal is weak, or if it's strong in which case there must be some other cause, eg a bad supercap.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »
Power the external jack of the ISS with a 5-6V supply and this will quickly highlight if it is a power issue

Offline vortilon

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 04:23:44 AM »
Referring to your suggestions about the problems described above I have some thoughts and further questions but maybe I don't understand something (sorry for that):

1) If there is no reception due to a defective ISS transmitter, how is it possible that ISS is sending weather data and communicating with the console without any problems? After all I think the ISS contacts both VLL and the console on the wall in the same way?
2) I purchased this weather station in November 2020 so the ISS could not be old.
3) If there is a case that ISS transmitter is currently transmitting on a different channel, please let me how to check it and possibly what to do to change the channel (presumably it is on ID1 as default as I didn't change)?
4) If the signal is weak and I should restart the transmitter again, please let me how to do it or is it enough to just remove and reinsert the battery into the ISS again?
5) You mentioned about a supercap fault, what is it and how to find it?

Unfortunately I am not a technically oriented person, so maybe that's why I ask such child's play questions.

Offline vortilon

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 04:32:56 AM »
And one more question. When I replaced the battery in the ISS I just removed the old and inserted a new one but didn't restart the station. Could this be the cause of these troubles ?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 07:49:39 AM »
how is it possible that ISS is sending weather data and communicating with the console without any problems? After all I think the ISS contacts both VLL and the console on the wall in the same way?.....

Iv'e not seen you answer about how the console and WLL are located. Both the same distance from ISS? Nothing signal blocking between the WLL and ISS?

Even a small change in position/orientation/in or out of signal shadowing items, could allow one to receive from a perfectly working ISS while the other does not.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 07:52:56 AM »
3) If there is a case that ISS transmitter is currently transmitting on a different channel, please let me how to check it and possibly what to do to change the channel (presumably it is on ID1 as default as I didn't change)?....

Presumably so, it is on ID1. You would check at the ISS, there are DIP switches on the circuit board.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »
5) You mentioned about a supercap fault, what is it and how to find it?....

It is under the white cover over the circuit board indside the ISS. It is soldered to the board. It stores power for use at night or low sun periods. If it dried out or corroded it may fail. This would drain your battery in a few days or something like that.

Somebody, what is the time frame for a battery lasting without SuperCap?

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
The bottom line of the Console display should show "STATION NO.1".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:51:11 PM by TraderGary »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 09:32:27 PM »
Right, easy way to see what ID it's on.

Offline vortilon

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2021, 04:11:49 AM »
I have not the slightest idea what is happening with the ISS module? It showed no sign of life all day long yesterday and today it is starting to work but on and off. I did nothing and did not touch a minute. Any suggestions?  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2021, 05:01:45 AM »
..... Any suggestions?  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

TELL US WHAT IS THE LOCATION OF THE WLL COMPARED TO THE CONSOLE!!!!!!!

Are they side-by-side?

Is the WLL much farther from the ISS or closer?

Is there any thing between the WLL and the ISS that could block the signal?????????????????

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 05:05:24 AM »
At last!  =D> Your ID1 RSSI is showing as -110 which is extremely weak. I don't know whether this is because of long distance between ISS and WLL or obstructing materials in between (or maybe a bit of both?).

You need to change the position of WLL or transmitter until ID1 RSSI is above -90 (ie less negative than -90). the RSSI updates with every packet received so if you are seeing reception at all then it should be quick to see whether or not you've made it to the -90 threshold. (Actually, I suspect that eg -92/93 might be OK, but -110 certainly isn't.)

NB The battery flag is also showing low on ID1, but given how bad reception is then I'm not sure how reliable this flag might be. Might be better to wait until you've got a stronger signal then wait a day and reassess.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline vortilon

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 06:08:58 AM »
Yes, the WLL and balcony installed the ISS are approximately 3m apart, but separated by 30cm concrete wall between. The consol is hanging on the wall in the same room as WLL is.  However, the WLL is directly located right next to a continuously working laptop (7/24h), which may cause to interfere with the signal from the ISS. When I get home I will try to change the position of WLL as you suggested. The proximity of a working laptop can be a matter. What do you think?

Offline vortilon

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 06:16:55 AM »
Additionally, approximately 1m below the ISS is also TP LINK WI-FI signal extender plugged into a wall socket.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 07:30:38 AM »
I have found that the WLL gets its best reception if you face the "long" sides directly towards the transmitter. It may help a little bit - or not!
Mark

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 07:49:16 AM »
.....The proximity of a working laptop can be a matter. What do you think?

There is definite potential. Such that relocating to an ideal as possible position would be the very first troubleshooting step I would take if having issues with it in close proximity.