Author Topic: Acurite vs Vantage Vue  (Read 18383 times)

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
Acurite vs Vantage Vue
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:10:01 AM »
My comparisons:

Acurite reads slightly warmer than the Vantage Vue (about 1F).  In full sunlight (direct) the Acurite is about 1-2F warmer than the Vue. However, when the sun sets and the Vue shield gets hit by radiation, the Vue reads warmer.  At night they are within 1F of each other.

Last rain I had:  .68" Acurite, .66 Vue, .63 NWS clear 11" gauge.

Wind gusts are about the same.

Dewpoint sensor reads slightly lower than the Vue.  Obviously the wind cups on the Acurite are more sensitive -- I like that.  But the vane is too chaotic (needs more weight).

More info later.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:49:56 PM by txagwx »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Acurite vs Vantage Vue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 02:01:50 PM »
dew point sensor?
do you mean instead that the humidity reading is lower on the accurite, i.e given a warmer temperature, the resultant dew point is lower...
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 02:52:15 PM »
No, the dewpoint (or rh) reads slightly lower than the Vue.  I think the Vue reads a little too moist.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
how do you mean no?
as that is what I was explaining.
How do you know the Vue is reading too high for humidity-> dew point?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
The Vue has higher humidity (dewpoint) when both stations are near the same temp.
Furthermore, my Vue reads a little higher than a nearby ASOS.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
Furthermore, my Vue reads a little higher than a nearby ASOS.

for dew point?

how far away is the ASOS station
and how much is a little higher exactly?
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
No, the dewpoint (or rh) reads slightly lower than the Vue.  I think the Vue reads a little too moist.

Is the Vue reading to moist or is the acu-rite reading too dry? If you have any local PWS's around you on the Wunderground or CWOP networks you can compair the readings. Maybe the Vue is too moist maybe or the Acu-rite is too dry.

My WMR100, I bought 2 THGR810's for it last year and they seems to be lower than my Vantage Pro2, and my Vantage Pro2 compairs with all other stations in the area. It uses the standard (passive) radiation sheild. The Acu-rite's 5 N 1 uses a solar powered fan.

Do you use the 3 N 1 or the 5 N 1 sensor configurations?

The 3 N 1 doesn't have the wind vane or rain gauge.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:53:11 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
Is the Vue reading to moist or is the acu-rite reading too dry? If you have any local PWS's around you
he said he is comparing to a nearby ASOS station
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:33 PM »
Is the Vue reading to moist or is the acu-rite reading too dry? If you have any local PWS's around you
he said he is comparing to a nearby ASOS station
Like what you asked earlier, how far is it?  I've had events where all stations to the east of me are reading cooler or dryer than those to the west or vis versa. Gauging accuracy can be a science in it's self. So we can define "accurate" and go around in circles. I pay attention MADIS Quality cheaks, but they use the same formula of compairing to closest stations. If you live in a contry area this can be tricky. That's why I've learned to be sceptical. Even though I'm in a suburban area surrounded by what seems like a family of stations. It can be hard to gauge accuracy.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01:25 AM »
My comparisons:

Acurite reads slightly warmer than the Vantage Vue (about 1F).  In full sunlight (direct) the Acurite is about 1-2F warmer than the Vue. However, when the sun sets and the Vue shield gets hit by radiation, the Vue reads warmer.  At night they are within 1F of each other.

If your nick indicates you are in TX, then you probably won't be able to answer my next question...

How does it compare when it gets cold?  Unless Acu-Rite is using different temp sensors for the "professional" WS, I have found that for temps below about 40F the various garden-center specials consistently start to creep toward warm.  I usually have a few of them in my van for work to take course measurements (min/max recording in equipment closets just to verify if A/C is running).  For example, when my other thermometers indicate 32F before sunrise, the Acu-Rites might read 36F.  If it gets down to 20F (rare here) it may read 28F.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
My comparisons:

If your nick indicates you are in TX, then you probably won't be able to answer my next question...

How does it compare when it gets cold?  Unless Acu-Rite is using different temp sensors for the "professional" WS, I have found that for temps below about 40F the various garden-center specials consistently start to creep toward warm.  I usually have a few of them in my van for work to take course measurements (min/max recording in equipment closets just to verify if A/C is running).  For example, when my other thermometers indicate 32F before sunrise, the Acu-Rites might read 36F.  If it gets down to 20F (rare here) it may read 28F.

I verified with Rhino that these Acu-Rite stations are using the same temp/humidty sensor element chip that Davis and other mfr's are using, the Sensirion SHTxx    . But the firmware used in the various stations to calculate Dewpoint could give different results.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 09:49:53 AM »
I verified with Rhino that these Acu-Rite stations are using the same temp/humidty sensor element chip that Davis and other mfr's are using

That's important to know.  Thanks for your research.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:58:34 AM »
Interesting that they are using the same chip.

I am expecting 34F tonight, so should see how it compares.  So far I have been impressed with the solar fan aspiration as it compares reasonably well with the vantage vue.   I just hope it will be soon that they get the bridge so I can start posting it to the internet.  

The ASOS is only 2.5 miles from my house, and the dewpoint sensor there reads about 1-2F cooler than my vantage vue.

The other Davis's read the same as mine, so maybe an error in the ASOS or Davis.

Anybody buy the accurite 8" weather station from walmart that has the solar radiation shield and wind?  How does that radiation shield work?  Thought about buying one for my father in-law.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:13:57 AM by txagwx »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »
My comparisons:

How does it compare when it gets cold?  Unless Acu-Rite is using different temp sensors for the "professional" WS, I have found that for temps below about 40F the various garden-center specials consistently start to creep toward warm.  I usually have a few of them in my van for work to take course measurements (min/max recording in equipment closets just to verify if A/C is running).  For example, when my other thermometers indicate 32F before sunrise, the Acu-Rites might read 36F.  If it gets down to 20F (rare here) it may read 28F.

I verified with Rhino that these Acu-Rite stations are using the same temp/humidty sensor element chip that Davis and other mfr's are using, the Sensirion SHTxx    . But the firmware used in the various stations to calculate Dewpoint could give different results.

Really?  the EXACT same one?  Unless the exact model number is given there could be significant differences.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
My comparisons:

Really?  the EXACT same one?  Unless the exact model number is given there could be significant differences.

with the production code stamped on,  
Of course there are the individual chip tolerances, station placement/environment, etc. to consider that can vary the readings from station to station.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:11:03 PM by DanS »

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
Last night both the Acurite and the Vue read the same.  Low was 34F this morning, dewpoint sensors were about the same.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
Hey guys- gotta clear this up- there was a misunderstanding. Acurite does NOT use the exact same sensor component as Davis- uses the same TYPE of capacitive sensor:

AcuRite Humidity Sensor:

Sentrion industrial grade capacitive type humidity sensor module
Supply Voltage: DC 2.5 ~ 3.3V
Current Consumption: 150 ~ 200uA
Operating Temperature Range: -40 ~ 90ºC
Operating Humidity Range: 1 ~ 99%RH
Accuracy: +/-5%RH (at 5ºC ~60ºC)
Hysteresis: +/-1%RH (30 ~ 90%RH)
Repeatability: +/- 0.5%RH
Response Time: 10 sec.
Temperature Dependence: 0.57%RH/ºC (5ºC ~ 45ºC)
Long Term Stability: +/- 0.5%RH/ yr.

Sorry for the confusion!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »
That makes a bit more sense that you use the SENTRION .  Thanks for clarifying that Accurite does not use the Sensiron sensor (retails for ~$20/piece).  The specs are quite a bit different than the SENSIRON (note the similarity in name ! ) units.  I guess you are using the GHM50 from SenTrion?

EDIT:  I just checked pricing:  Sentrion sensors go for about a a buck and a quarter each
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:56:10 AM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »
Woah! Yeah, those are retail prices for one sensor- way out of wack. The Sensiron sensor is certainly not worth $19 more. Lacrosse actually uses that same Sensiron sensor in allot of it's low end thermometers that retail for $8-$20.

Truth is, at our high volumes both the sensiron and sentrion sensors are comparable. We saw very similar performance out of these sensors going back through almost 2 years of testing.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
The SHT and Sentrion sensors have vastly different  performance so I am not sure how you could say they perform  the same.  But I will grant you that once you price in the tens of thousands of pieces, prices get much closer. 

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »
The specs do indeed show variances- but the VUE and the AcuRite 5n1 I have testing are always within a few degrees of each other. Real world tests show that they are similar in performance. Many folks, including some on this forum, are also reporting readings of AcuRite and VUE very much in-line with each other.

I have been very happy with how the AcuRite 5N1 stacks up against the competition.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
I agree that initial testing results are promising for a value priced unit.  But there is no way that an SHT with 2% accuracy will not deliver better results than your sensor (5%)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
Hey guys- gotta clear this up- there was a misunderstanding. Acurite does NOT use the exact same sensor component as Davis- uses the same TYPE of capacitive sensor:

AcuRite Humidity Sensor:

Sentrion industrial grade capacitive type humidity sensor module
Supply Voltage: DC 2.5 ~ 3.3V
Current Consumption: 150 ~ 200uA
Operating Temperature Range: -40 ~ 90ºC
Operating Humidity Range: 1 ~ 99%RH
Accuracy: +/-5%RH (at 5ºC ~60ºC)
Hysteresis: +/-1%RH (30 ~ 90%RH)
Repeatability: +/- 0.5%RH
Response Time: 10 sec.
Temperature Dependence: 0.57%RH/ºC (5ºC ~ 45ºC)
Long Term Stability: +/- 0.5%RH/ yr.

Sorry for the confusion!

mental note corrected here. guess the similarity in the chip mfr. names caused the mix up in our PM's. #-o  I see 'Sentrion's' VFC-1 now. First I've heard of them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:40:06 PM by DanS »

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
In my side-by-side comparison of the 5-n-1 and the Vue; I see less than 1ºF difference in the temperatures displayed on the consoles.  I have no calibration factor set into either console.  I have the Vue sending data to a VP2 console with temperature displayed in tenths of a degree.  The Acu-Rite 1010 and 1015 consoles display in whole degrees only.  Occasionally rounding causes the temperature to indicate 1 degree difference.  I have the 5-N-1 and the Vue mounted on a 'T' at the top of the same mast at the same level.
I also have the 3-N-1 sensor but it's mounted on a dormer near the roof.  It's warmer so I never monitor the temperature up there.  I use that sensor for wind speed.
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/assets/images/webcam.jpg Acu-Rite and Vue side by side.
Note: the NWS Nimbux max/min temp system uses an analog RTD sensor.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:34:35 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 07:54:31 PM »
Do you have a picture of the sensors outside?  That is so cool that you are comparing it the MMTS.

I have been looking to find a nimbus / mmts, but can't find one anywhere.