Author Topic: PWS website where to start?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline priorlakewx

PWS website where to start?
« on: May 26, 2023, 12:25:43 AM »
Simple question, but I know the answer will not be.   

I'd like to host a website with data from my PWS; What's a good pairing of "website code" with hardware that keeps it semi-easy to manage and still gives depth of data?

I do not currently have any hardware/software commitments, so I am somewhat flexible there. Seems like many of the sensor manufacturers have their proprietary sites and/or also upload data to places like WU or CWOP.  Love that...but I want to host my own page as well.

I have been looking at the Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Weather Link. Also Ambient WS-5000.  But as far as website code, I'm a bit lost. Ideally, I'd love to just grab embeds from a site that is already importing my data. Weather Link allows for this... but theirs are way too basic. I've seen Weather-Display and lots of other GitHub repos. I've seen some sites with Ecowitt? -- the data/visualizations there look good, but had a hard time tracking down how to install it. 

I know HTML/CSS/JS.  I could find my way around almost any language of code if I have to. Ideally, I'd rather pay for turnkey I can install/maintain myself. 

Thoughts?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: PWS website where to start?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 08:46:18 AM »
Why don't you browse to some of the websites listed under the members here, explore various pages, view the source code, explore the html generated etc., and see what various folks utilize?  Many will use variants of Ken's Saratoga Scripts (PhP) for example...

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 09:21:49 AM »
First hardware.  I have a Davis, so that's what I know.  You'll need what's called a data logger to join your weather station to weather software.  There's USB, WIFILogger who also sells an Ethernet logger.  But that will connect to software.

CumulusMX and WeatherDisplay are the two most popular.  Cumulus is free.  You'd have to check on compatibility with the Ambient as I'm not sure on that.  But Davis is compatible with both.  WD isn't free, and more complicated to setup.  But has more features.  Both will do the third party uploads like you want.

Saragota scripts are the most popular template.  That is compatible with Cumulus and WD.  There are even some alternate scripts based on his out there.  His scripts are PHP based.  That's personally what I've been using for awhile now.

Lastly is hosting.  ICDSoft is a popular choice.  GoDaddy is used by some as well.

You'll have a lot to research.  For example, you could go with the MetoBridge which has it's own devices that directly connect to the Davis Wireless signals.  WIFILogger or Ethernetlogger are good choices with the Davis. Both have pro's and con's.  Just depends on your network and how you have your house/station console setup.

The good thing is the forum is pretty helpful overall.  So just about everyone here has done some combo of what you'll be looking at.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2023, 12:00:53 PM »
Simple question, but I know the answer will not be.   

I'd like to host a website with data from my PWS; What's a good pairing of "website code" with hardware that keeps it semi-easy to manage and still gives depth of data?

I do not currently have any hardware/software commitments, so I am somewhat flexible there. Seems like many of the sensor manufacturers have their proprietary sites and/or also upload data to places like WU or CWOP.  Love that...but I want to host my own page as well.

I have been looking at the Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Weather Link. Also Ambient WS-5000.  But as far as website code, I'm a bit lost. Ideally, I'd love to just grab embeds from a site that is already importing my data. Weather Link allows for this... but theirs are way too basic. I've seen Weather-Display and lots of other GitHub repos. I've seen some sites with Ecowitt? -- the data/visualizations there look good, but had a hard time tracking down how to install it. 

I know HTML/CSS/JS.  I could find my way around almost any language of code if I have to. Ideally, I'd rather pay for turnkey I can install/maintain myself. 

Thoughts?

Good morning from Valley Fair.  Yes, I am there now. 
I have had two stations-my latest at Benilde-St. Margarets. I would be willing to help you with anything you need.  Ken is the php God but I used the scripts from him and others to set up the BSM weather site.
I use Weather Display software and host with ICDSoft.

I am not the best at all of this, but I manage.
We can email/PM-or find other ways to help. Let me know

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.