Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 40353 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2023, 09:23:34 AM »
It is a nice unit.  too expensive for me.  I guess I will have to wait for this unit to give up the ghost.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2023, 11:41:19 AM »
Hello,
If a WLL is already sending data from a VP2 to Weatherlink.com, what happen if the new 6313 console send the same data from VP2 to Weatherlink?
The data will be duplicated I imagine? :shock:

Is it possible to disable the WLL without losing the old data already transmitted and switch to the new one?
With the new console is it possible to connect with the mobile app (Android, iOs) at the frequency of 2.5 seconds in the same local network as the WLL did?

Thanks

I wouldn't replace the WLL as the logger / communicator to the weatherlink website. The battery back-up will last much longer than the console will if you're without power. The WLL is a much safer bet in terms of not losing data.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2023, 12:41:20 PM »
My concern is that they'll drop the old console.  Leaving all the other logger solutions out in the cold.  Forcing you to get their new WLL device.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2023, 01:02:31 PM »
My concern is that they'll drop the old console.  Leaving all the other logger solutions out in the cold.  Forcing you to get their new WLL device.

I would think certainly at some point, tech moves on, the VP2 console is getting long in the tooth now.
Mark

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »
My concern is that they'll drop the old console. 

The old 6312 VP2 and 6351 Vue consoles are already dropped from complete stations (ie the bundle of ISS+console), being replaced by the new 6313 console, other than existing stock already at Davis and in the supply chain. But all legacy consoles (inc Envoy) remain available for 2023 at least as separate items.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2023, 01:26:24 PM »
I manually enter in snow amounts during the winter as I don't get good melt.  So Envoy didn't work for me.

As long as they sell the old console as an option, at least that's good.  Otherwise, that'll leave WIFI logger and ethernet logger devices out in the cold.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline lurk

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2023, 02:08:45 PM »
Hello,
If a WLL is already sending data from a VP2 to Weatherlink.com, what happen if the new 6313 console send the same data from VP2 to Weatherlink?
The data will be duplicated I imagine? :shock:

Is it possible to disable the WLL without losing the old data already transmitted and switch to the new one?
With the new console is it possible to connect with the mobile app (Android, iOs) at the frequency of 2.5 seconds in the same local network as the WLL did?

Thanks

I wouldn't replace the WLL as the logger / communicator to the weatherlink website. The battery back-up will last much longer than the console will if you're without power. The WLL is a much safer bet in terms of not losing data.
I agree with this. The new 6313 is a new console with built in WeatherLink Live 6100. The WLL 6100 is much safer not only in a much better battery backup, it's also not prone to software update downtime, crashes, or freezes that affect tablets.

The initial update froze on me. It was stuck on the "Updating Software" screen pictured on the first post for well over an hour before I forced it reboot via the pinhole button and it completed. I don't think it's collecting and caching data from the sensors during this update.

To answer your question, I believe you can export data from the old station and then import it into the new one via the import/export tool on weatherlink.com. I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

On weatherlink.com, the export button is on the data tab, and the import button is on the settings page (wrench icon in menu).

Anybody who has been paying attention in recent years re the direction of Microsoft's, Google, phone OS's and Davis's ever steady direction with WeatherLink.com, WLL and their other changes will have an inclination of where this is all going  :roll:

I would think certainly at some point, tech moves on, the VP2 console is getting long in the tooth now.
I work in information technology and follow business and consumer tech very closely. I think at some point, if it hasn't already happened, they will stop development of the old-style console+logger. I'm not sure if they'll stop production since the older consoles+loggers are reliable and can fit specific use-cases: thinking of outdoor situations that make use of the enclosures which fit the old console, or data logging where networking isn't applicable.

The new console does have a micro SD port on the side; maybe at some point they'll allow local logging to the SD card? I'm not sure since this wasn't mentioned anywhere in the marketing or documentation.

I don't foresee official Windows or Mac desktop apps for WeatherLink since the website handles the features and data quite well, and the cost of continued development for those platforms would be considerable for a niche application.

I would really love to see updates for the iOS/Android apps (especially tablets). Feature parity with weatherlink.com, or even just a landscape view and customization options would be very welcome.

Maybe they'll release another console at some point without the "built-in WLL 6100?" If they released this exact console without the weatherlink.com upload in the $200-300 USD price point, it'd fit my use-case much better since I have the WLL 6100 for logging/sync purposes. I use my consoles purely for viewing and had no plans to retire the 6100.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2023, 02:33:29 PM »
To answer your question, I believe you can export data from the old station and then import it into the new one via the import/export tool on weatherlink.com. I haven't tried this but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

To my knowledge, the import function only currently works for data collected locally on the Weatherlink for Windows program. So it doesn't work for other stations already on weatherlink.com.

What may be possible if your existing station uses a legacy logger (but not WLL) is to do a Web Download from weatherlink.com (which works IIRC via the v1 API) in local WLfW and then reupload to weatherlink.com. But it would be a pretty longwinded workaround with lots of scope for errors.

Again, it wouldn't be surprising if Davis were to expand the import options in future - it is a pretty obvious enhancement to make - but AFAIK, it is not available for now.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2023, 02:40:04 PM »
I think at some point, if it hasn't already happened, they will stop development of the old-style console+logger. I'm not sure if they'll stop production since the older consoles+loggers are reliable and can fit specific use-cases: thinking of outdoor situations that make use of the enclosures which fit the old console, or data logging where networking isn't applicable.

I don't foresee official Windows or Mac desktop apps for WeatherLink since the website handles the features and data quite well, and the cost of continued development for those platforms would be considerable for a niche application.

Development of the legacy consoles, loggers and desktop software stopped several years ago. Production is continuing for now, but perhaps not for too long. Not so sure about Envoy.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2023, 06:06:49 PM »
I just looked at the owner's manual and couldn't find the info. Does anyone know if this console capable of the altimeter setting?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2023, 07:49:06 PM »
I just called Davis and asked this question.... it is not altimeter capable. Seriously? Absolute dealbreaker for me. Going backwards. He said he would forward my concern. Perhaps firmware or whatever can be applied down the road. That said, I heard that ten years ago about the VP2 console. Long live the Vue and it's antiquated display.

Offline lurk

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2023, 08:05:37 PM »
There was another software update today (version 1.1.6). Here's the notice found in the "Device information" tab under settings.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

After starting the update, it got stuck on that updating screen for 5 hours (12:14pm-5:42pm). I forced reboot by pressing the "R" pinhole button on the back of the unit as I did the first time this happened (details on first post) and it updated in under 2 minutes after the reboot.

It appears that data was still being collected during the update. Data tab shows data collected during the time of the update.

It would be nice to have a change/update log with each of the firmware updates. I experienced a bug with the console yesterday where the sunrise/sunset indicator appeared to be frozen (see photo). Notice that it's 7:56pm, well after sunset, in the photo, yet the indicator still shows the sun in the sky. After the aforementioned reboot it worked as it should.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline lurk

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2023, 08:21:18 PM »
Here's some photos of all the available customization options for the Wind tile. It's limited where you can only choose from the available options. There doesn't appear to be a way to mix and match the parameters or change the unit of measure. This makes many of these options less useful because the "Wind Speed" parameter is redundant, especially since you can't even change the unit of measure. The wind speed is prominently displayed at the center of the console.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2023, 08:35:29 PM »
I have to say, new product syndrome aside, this is beginning to look like a totally unfinished product that should not be released yet.

The console already seems dated in my opinion, like it was made 10 years ago, then someone at Davis found it in a store cupboard and realised it hadn't been released yet.

I know firmware updates can be added down the line, but with Davis' track record, I wouldn't hold your breath on things being added.

I'm slightly lost for words on this product..  #-o

Offline Frischluft

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2023, 04:58:30 AM »
Guys - thanks for posting this stuff, its really helpful this early in the lifecycle of this display.  Im in the process of setting up a Vantage Pro2 on Keuka Lake shore (finger lakes) and turning it into a a Pro2 Plus (Solar and UV) from my old Vantage Pro (one) " yes the old sensors work...amen...   Was wondering how to get my data to Weather Link Live.  Seems we are either buying a 6100 or buying a 6313 to get the functionality on my phone ...do I have this right?  Sooo... that makes the new screen 6313 an increment of $100 retail. Do I have this right?  Is there a cheaper way to do this.

Offline lurk

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2023, 01:27:57 PM »
Guys - thanks for posting this stuff, its really helpful this early in the lifecycle of this display.  Im in the process of setting up a Vantage Pro2 on Keuka Lake shore (finger lakes) and turning it into a a Pro2 Plus (Solar and UV) from my old Vantage Pro (one) " yes the old sensors work...amen...   Was wondering how to get my data to Weather Link Live.  Seems we are either buying a 6100 or buying a 6313 to get the functionality on my phone ...do I have this right?  Sooo... that makes the new screen 6313 an increment of $100 retail. Do I have this right?  Is there a cheaper way to do this.
The WeatherLink Live 6100 and WeatherLink Console 6313 are the best options for app functionality on your phone because they have the live view feature while connected to the same wifi/network. While on the same network, your phone displays the data live just like the console. In my experience, there's no delay and the live view is in sync with the console.

When your phone is off the network, the app updates every 1 minute.

You can technically use any of the console loggers that work with the VP2 console (USB Data Logger 6510USB, Serial Data Logger 6510SER, IP Data Logger 6555) connected to a PC running the WeatherLink PC software and have that upload to weatherlink.com. This route is more technically complex and you'd be missing out on the live view via mobile app.

Edit: Confirmed that the LIVE view feature isn't available on the WeatherLink 6313 console.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:57:50 PM by lurk »

Offline railrode1

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »
I just shelled out some major coin for a new Davis Pro2 Plus station and extra console. I hate the antiquated display but needed a separate anemometer mounting option. I've been following along and at this point, locked into only Weatherlink, I'm not interested at all. To me this console is a huge bust. At least Wifilogger does more with the older console. They should have teamed up with Wifilogger! Heck, Ambient weather consoles stand out more in functionality. What's up Davis???
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2023, 04:21:05 PM »
The WeatherLink Live 6100 and WeatherLink Console 6313 are the best options for app functionality on your phone because they have the live view feature while connected to the same wifi/network. While on the same network, your phone displays the data live just like the console.

Has this LIVE functionality on the local network actually been verified with the new console? That would mean that it is still making UDP broadcasts for wind and rain data, which is interesting.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline lurk

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2023, 07:04:31 PM »
The WeatherLink Live 6100 and WeatherLink Console 6313 are the best options for app functionality on your phone because they have the live view feature while connected to the same wifi/network. While on the same network, your phone displays the data live just like the console.

Has this LIVE functionality on the local network actually been verified with the new console? That would mean that it is still making UDP broadcasts for wind and rain data, which is interesting.
I just tested this and the app wasn't showing the live view. After speaking with Davis support, they confirmed that there is no LIVE view via app feature with the 6313 console. The intent is that the console itself is the live view. They did confirm that there has been a lot of feedback and that updates (no timeline) are coming!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2023, 08:41:28 AM »
I just tested this and the app wasn't showing the live view. After speaking with Davis support, they confirmed that there is no LIVE view via app feature with the 6313 console.

As I had posted earlier based on decades of working with embedded systems, I suspect that Davis is using the same base board as the WLL for this new console and some of the WLL features had to be omitted from the 6313 in order for the screen and display code to fit in the limited memory/processor resources of the WLL board.  Hearing a report that the display is laggy when using it is a symptom of an under-powered processor/board being used.

The observation in this thread that is most shocking to me is the report of screen burn after only 24 hours.  I hope that they didn't seriously cheap out on the display hardware for a 24/7/365 device.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 09:55:01 AM »
I just tested this and the app wasn't showing the live view. After speaking with Davis support, they confirmed that there is no LIVE view via app feature with the 6313 console.

As I had posted earlier based on decades of working with embedded systems, I suspect that Davis is using the same base board as the WLL for this new console and some of the WLL features had to be omitted from the 6313 in order for the screen and display code to fit in the limited memory/processor resources of the WLL board. Hearing a report that the display is laggy when using it is a symptom of an under-powered processor/board being used.

The observation in this thread that is most shocking to me is the report of screen burn after only 24 hours.  I hope that they didn't seriously cheap out on the display hardware for a 24/7/365 device.....

It is possible that they took this approach with adding the display to the WLL board. This is akin to the Envoy vs. VP2 console. The main board in the VP2 console basically is an Envoy PCB (connected to the display board).

I am dismayed by the screen burn-in. Where did you hear that?

I had to replace the display on the Meteobridge Red, fortunately it was dirt cheap and the replacement went well (ok, on the 2nd try).

I hope that they didn't use OLED. Is there a "screen saver" option? Although this kind of negates the entire idea of the console for getting a quick glance at the weather without having to "wake it up".

Still, I am looking forward to receiving the new console.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 10:23:21 AM »
As I had posted earlier based on decades of working with embedded systems, I suspect that Davis is using the same base board as the WLL for this new console and some of the WLL features had to be omitted from the 6313 in order for the screen and display code to fit in the limited memory/processor resources of the WLL board.

I doubt it as the 6313 is based on tablet processor - the Rockchip RK3126C - and it appears to be much more of a tablet like board with microphone input (???) and speaker, with 8 Gb RAM, 8GB of flash. The WLL appears to be based some TI chip, but I cannot make it out clearly in the photos.
Mark

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
It may be time to purchase a old console before they run out. Quite happy with the wifi logger and it's options. Current console is about 12 years old I think. Still working but for how long .

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2023, 02:40:56 PM »
I am dismayed by the screen burn-in. Where did you hear that?

Post #2 on this very thread:

Upon reboot, I did notice there was some screen burn-in from the updating screen, as pictured. This is a little concerning considering the unit was only on for a little over an hour.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2023, 02:48:30 PM »
I doubt it as the 6313 is based on tablet processor - the Rockchip RK3126C - and it appears to be much more of a tablet like board with microphone input (???) and speaker, with 8 Gb RAM, 8GB of flash. The WLL appears to be based some TI chip, but I cannot make it out clearly in the photos.

That may be a good sign that they have the ability to add the WLL features to the 6313 in the future, and probably rushed it out the door with only the user-facing interface "bling" implemented for CES last month.....

anything