Author Topic: Accuracy of RG-11 vs cheap tipping bucket  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Robotguy

Accuracy of RG-11 vs cheap tipping bucket
« on: December 06, 2023, 08:36:49 PM »
I have a cheap tipping bucket https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15901 which measures .011" per tip and just installed the RG-11 in .001" tipping bucket mode. I thought I'd post a graph of how the two compare.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Aussie Susan

Re: Accuracy of RG-11 vs cheap tipping bucket
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 09:49:58 PM »
Not sure if this is a proper comparison, but I have an HP1000 clone weather station with a tipping bucket, and an RG-15 sensor, both connected to my "Home Assistant" home automation system.
I have found very little correlation between the two. The RG-15 is very sensitive in that (for example) today it has not rained but the RG-15 has measured 0.02mm and then a little later another 0.01mm. Yesterday (again no rain) it measured a total of 0.27mm for the day. The HP1000 clone measured nothing.
On the other hand, on days when it has rained, the HP1000 typically measures about 2 to 4 times the rainfall of the RG-15.
To be fair, they are in different locations but both have about the same view of the sky.
I am disappointed in the RG-15 as I was hoping to create a 'solid state' weather station with the RG-15.
(Actually, looking at the RG-15 daily rainfall graph from my HA system for the last 2 weeks, I wonder if it is not being impacted by the sun - just about every afternoon it suddenly measures between 0.17mm and 0.7mm!!! with no rainfall on those days. Hmmmm)
My RG-15 is connected via the UART to a XBee3 running Micropython that is sending the data back to the HA system. I must admit I can't see how that wodl be altering the data being sent by the RG-15.)
Susan

anything