Author Topic: Image Salsa display problems in Safari and Firefox  (Read 5189 times)

Offline sschoneberg

Image Salsa display problems in Safari and Firefox
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
I have installed a LaCrosse weather station and am using Virtual Weather Station and Image Salsa to create a simple web page. The page uploads to my FTP server as index.html. If I view the page in Internet Explorer on a Windows based computer, the page displays correctly. If I attempt to access the page on a Macintosh computer running either Safari or Firefox, the page is displayed as lines of random characters. I have tried uploading the page as an HTML document and an HTM document without resolving the problem. I have tried updating Heavy Weather, Virtual Weather Station and Image Salsa to the most current versions. There was no change in the problem. Can anyone point me in a direction to solve my dilemma?

Thanks,
Steve Schoneberg
Minot, North Dakota

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Image Salsa display problems in Safari and Firefox
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
URL?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sschoneberg

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:28:49 AM »
The site is located at www.minotaircraftmodelers.org. The webcam info is under Weather Cam. You can also access the weather page at www.srt.com/~mam1.

Thanks for any help.

Steve Schoneberg

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:43:14 AM »

Your main page is good, but your webcam page
is displayed as lines of random characters
I see that your webcam page  is an "htm".  Should it not be a "jpg"

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
I have installed a LaCrosse weather station and am using Virtual Weather Station and Image Salsa to create a simple web page. The page uploads to my FTP server as index.html. If I view the page in Internet Explorer on a Windows based computer, the page displays correctly. If I attempt to access the page on a Macintosh computer running either Safari or Firefox, the page is displayed as lines of random characters. I have tried uploading the page as an HTML document and an HTM document without resolving the problem. I have tried updating Heavy Weather, Virtual Weather Station and Image Salsa to the most current versions. There was no change in the problem. Can anyone point me in a direction to solve my dilemma?

Thanks,
Steve Schoneberg
Minot, North Dakota

I had the same problem as you.  It has nothing to do with the Imagesalsa.  The problem lies in the fact that your FTP uploading software whether VWS or another program is not completing the upload process before the next one starts.  Thus sometimes it leaves the page corrupt.  Firefox will not display an incomplete html page/file; but Internet Explorer will display all of the incomplete html page/file contents that it has up to the end of the prematurely truncated file.  This can be caused by Internet connection issues, or in my case VWS was too slow in it's upload process.  I tried to increase my update time from 5 mins to 10 mins, and this reduced my "random character pages" in half.  I was able to totally remove the problem by letting VWS create the html and jpg files, and placing them in one common folder.  Then I used Fling - to do the ftp functions - to periodically check that folder and upload any changes it saw.  Now my updates are at 5 mins again, and fling checks that folder every 3 minutes for changes.  No problems so far.  VWS does a good job at what it does, but it still seems to be buggy and slow in it's FTP upload procedures.  So move those to another program, as your first "testing" solution.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:11:53 PM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:30:53 PM »
That is strange. It appears the page is just a jpg.  on Ie 6 at work and ie7 at home it looks fine.  On my mac you just see the text of the binary jpg code.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
That is strange. It appears the page is just a jpg.  on Ie 6 at work and ie7 at home it looks fine.  On my mac you just see the text of the binary jpg code.

Andrew

Again, it is an ftp issue and how firefox interprets the page. :-)  It will show the random characters on any mozilla based browser with no concern whether it is MAC or PC, until he gets the upload fixed.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »

Thanks,
Steve Schoneberg
Minot, North Dakota

So did you ever get it fixed?

anything