Author Topic: Is WS-2000-C Console same as the console that comes with WS-2000?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline LrngToFly

Hello-

There have been some posts stating that instead of buying the WS-2000, one can buy:

(stolen from another post)

WS-1900 (Osprey Sensor w/non WiFi console) - $72
WS-2000C (WiFi Console) - $111
WH32B - Indoor sensor - $15
Total - $198

The WS-2000 kit is $240.

You come away with a 2nd non WiFi console, and it's cheaper to boot.

Has anyone done this yet?  Can you confirm that the WS-2000C console is exactly the same as what is in the WS-2000, all connectivity etc. and no downside?  Is there a mounting bracket or anything like that one would miss out on?

Perhaps there's some sort of warranty downside?  I am willing to take that risk.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:25:40 PM by LrngToFly »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Is WS-2000-C Console same as the console that comes with WS-2000?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »
Yes the WS-2000 pricing doesn't seem make much sense. The configuration you suggested is just one of several possibilities. You could also for example get a WS-1550-IP and add a WS-2000-C. Several people have done this. I started with a WS-2902A and added the WS-2000-C and WH32B, only because I bought the WS-2902A before the WS-2000 was available. You can play the same pricing game with a WS-2902A. There is no warranty nor other downside.

I've tried to make sense of it this way...
When you buy an Ambient Weather station you gain the ability report weather data to ambientweather.net. Running those servers has costs associated. There is also customer service overhead. When you buy your complete system you are essentially helping to cover the cloud and other service costs. When you buy a replacement console or sensor you really should be doing it to add a 2nd console or to replace a broken console or broken part. So it is nice to have reasonable priced replacement parts. In the case of a 2nd console or replacement console you really shouldn't have to pay again for subsidizing cloud service costs. So when you game the system and go a la carte you sort of are cheating Ambient Weather and you are taking advantage of cheaper parts availability. Ambient Weather has tried to combat this I think by raising replacement parts prices. Did you know that the outdoor sensor array used to be $36 then went up to $53 and is now $75? There is no other justification for doubling the price of that part. This is also the reason I think that the WS-2000-C console was delayed as a separate item. Ambient Weather is trying to run a business and they are trying to provide excellent customer service and they are trying to be profitable to stay in business. I don't think they are being sneaky nor swindling people that buy a WS-2000 or WS-2902A.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:38:31 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline LrngToFly

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:08:01 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful information.  That makes sense that they're charging in the cost of the back end data into the weather station price.

I just wish their shipping fee wasn't so high.  I know shipping fees for everyone (except Amazon of course) has gone up a lot in the last couple of years, but $31 seems high.  I wonder if their mindset is that they're charging for Ambient->home + recouping their shipping cost from China/Fine Offset -> Ambient.

Offline Jcsf420

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
Agree on the shipping fees but I wouldn't mind paying those fees if it arrived in 2-3 days but its more like 5-6 on top of the high fees. Not Good

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Thanks
John

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:51 PM »
I don't think that shipping fees are high. Realize that they aren't just shipping fees only. They are shipping and handling fees. For Ambient these handling fees are to pay at least one person depending on volume to run the warehouse so that your product can be stocked, stored, picked, and packaged, and finally shipped, along with a lot of other warehousing expenses.

We have all been spoiled by Amazon and their warehouse robots. No way a small company like Ambient can do any better. I'm old enough to remember the days before Amazon. Shipping and handling has never been cheap. Whenever you see free shipping don't believe it, you are paying for it in the product price.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:18:39 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
Ambient Weather also may be dealing with increased costs due to the U.S.-China trade war.  Scaled Instruments has this tag running on its home page:

“Please Note: Many of our Davis Instruments products have increased in price for 2019.  This price increase is not due to an increased profit margin but rather due to increased wholesale prices brought on by the imposed 25% US-China tariff implemented in 2018.”

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »

“Please Note: Many of our Davis Instruments products have increased in price for 2019.  This price increase is not due to an increased profit margin but rather due to increased wholesale prices brought on by the imposed 25% US-China tariff implemented in 2018.”

Are the Davis products made in China?

anything