Author Topic: Newly paved black asphalt road  (Read 1907 times)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
Newly paved black asphalt road
« on: October 02, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
I wasn't sure where to post this but today they re-paved my road to black asphalt. It's a main road and my weather station is about 10' or so from it (best place in the yard, mind you). Does anyone here think the black asphalt (as opposed to the old brown) will have any affect on my afternoon temps? I run a VP2 24 hr 24 cfm fan.

Edit: Forgot to mention that almost all of my front yard is total grass, and my weather station is almost right in the middle. Also, I live atop a hill so my station gets very good ventilation from all sides.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:11:53 PM by WxLover16 »
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Newly paved black asphalt road
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:18:14 PM »
I suppose if strong enough wind were to blow perpendicular(ish) across the asphalt towards the ISS with a sunny day, yeah, it might. As always, observe, specifically note the wind when pertinent.   

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 08:27:51 PM »
I suppose if strong enough wind were to blow perpendicular(ish) across the asphalt towards the ISS with a sunny day, yeah, it might. As always, observe, specifically note the wind when pertinent.

I suppose that might could happen on a day with a cold front as the road is on the north/nw side of my station. Thanks for your quick response. As a person who aspires for maximum temp accuracy, I sure hope this doesn't skew my readings too much. (Thinking to myself, they just HAD to do that!)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:30:50 PM by WxLover16 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »
I suppose that might could happen on a day with a cold front as the road is on the north/nw side of my station
Unless you live here where FROPA's can be sunny with a mere air mass temp change, you'll probably be under a cloud deck.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:34:00 PM »
I suppose that might could happen on a day with a cold front as the road is on the north/nw side of my station
Unless you live here where FROPA's can be sunny with a mere air mass temp change, you'll probably be under a cloud deck.

Usually low clouds and rain accompany fronts here but the following days with full sun and a light north wind are what could skew my readings.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
The CWOP siting guidelines advise to be at least 100 feet from paved surfaces for measuring temperature. I believe a hot roof or deck could logically be added to that. But, it's recognized that not all of the guidelines can be met in all locations.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:58:22 PM »
The CWOP siting guidelines advise to be at least 100 feet from paved surfaces for measuring temperature. I believe a hot roof or deck could logically be added to that. But, it's recognized that not all of the guidelines can be met in all locations.

Rich K.

And my setup was as "decent" as it got per say, till they paved with asphalt. I was "ok" with just concrete but now an entire black surface, great!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 08:59:08 PM »
The CWOP siting guidelines advise to be at least 100 feet from paved surfaces for measuring temperature.
Rich K.
I'm betting that's not only obsessive, but difficult for even some ASOS's.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:03:18 PM »
The CWOP siting guidelines advise to be at least 100 feet from paved surfaces for measuring temperature.
Rich K.
I'm betting that's not only obsessive, but difficult for even some ASOS's.

Agreed, for many people, those guidelines are damn near impossible. Those are basically "perfect world" guidelines and this ain't a perfect world.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »
Anyway, it sucks but I will just have to hope it doesn't skew my readings too much. I gotta remember I've got the best designed shield with a top-notch sensor inside and a continuous adequate fan, above just mowed short grass. It can't be all that bad. (Grasping at straws here)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:54 AM »
Anyway, it sucks but I will just have to hope it doesn't skew my readings too much. I gotta remember I've got the best designed shield with a top-notch sensor inside and a continuous adequate fan, above just mowed short grass. It can't be all that bad. (Grasping at straws here)

My $0.02 is that you are not doing your job as a true weather geek until your neighbors see you outside painting the new asphalt white...and don't question it. :lol:  Of course, they are also used to seeing me out in the street with an IR pyrometer checking the pavement temperatures in January after a snowfall.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »

My $0.02 is that you are not doing your job as a true weather geek until your neighbors see you outside painting the new asphalt white...and don't question it. :lol:  Of course, they are also used to seeing me out in the street with an IR pyrometer checking the pavement temperatures in January after a snowfall.....

See! "Regular" people will just never understand us. We are the superior being! And don't think I haven't put it past me to start painting! (Road closed until further notice)  :lol:

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 02:51:27 PM »

Agreed, for many people, those guidelines are damn near impossible. Those are basically "perfect world" guidelines and this ain't a perfect world.

True. No one has a perfect set up.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 03:51:32 PM »
What a bargain! Only $40,000 per mile! :-"

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:13:12 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
Here you go.  :grin:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change

So, is LA also going change the laws about marking roadways in white to black lines?
No. That would invariably lead to global warming.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
Well, as to be expected, they paved the other lane of my road today. Guess that was inevitable, as was my blood pressure spike when I saw it. Nothing I can do; just gotta cross my fingers the patch of grass my ISS is over will counteract any artificial warming caused by the asphalt.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 07:47:34 PM »
Here you go.  :grin:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/los-angeles-painting-city-streets-white-in-bid-to-combat-climate-change

So, is LA also going change the laws about marking roadways in white to black lines?
No. That would invariably lead to global warming.

My asphalt road was the final straw. We are all doomed due to global warming!

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
As Joni Mitchell alluded to: "...they paved paradise and put up a parking lot..."

Guess a roadway is nothing more than a VERY LONG two-car-wide parking lot.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 10:11:05 PM »
There is something with white roads.  Even white wood runs 10° cooler when I've checked against natural wood unpainted.
Shingles of lighter colors are the way to go especial light colored metal roofs can cool the attic substantially. My next roof will be metal or very minimum some light colored asphalt.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 11:09:48 PM »
There is something with white roads. 
I joke, but absolutely no doubt. However, at $40k per mile, I truly wonder about the cost to weight ratio. IMO, Cali has a LOT bigger fish to fry.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
Just curious Wxlover 16 but aren't you afraid with the weather station in the front yard it could be stolen. I know you said it's the best place for it but with all that exposure with the road and people walking by I know it would worry me.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »
There is something with white roads. 
I joke, but absolutely no doubt. However, at $40k per mile, I truly wonder about the cost to weight ratio. IMO, Cali has a LOT bigger fish to fry.
Yup, that money needs to be put against some of their existing debt/need and not another California money pit.  And besides, how long will that paint last before it will need repainting.  I'm sure the paint is nontoxic (soybean based? :lol:)being as it will wear away into dust...probably food-grade stuff that lasts a fraction of the time that regular asphalt paint does.<sigh>

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »
WxLover16, I suspect that you will see a difference with the asphalt surface.  I believe the asphalt will absorb much more heat than the lighter colored concrete and transmit that heat to the concrete below it.  The lighter colored concrete was reflecting more solar radiation than the black asphalt will...thus the asphalt will absorb more energy and what it absorbs it will give back.   My thought is that you will see a slower cool-down after the sun goes down.   Being only 10' from the street, seems to me, would cause gentle breezes blowing over the asphalt toward the ISS to affect readings, but these were already affected by the concrete so it's not like you're going from grass to a more solid surface.  Something else, and I don't know if it's correct (or anything else that I've mentioned, either, as far as that goes  ;) ) but asphalt, usually manufactured from petroleum has an oily consistency and to me "seems" to get hotter than concrete...think of walking barefoot and having to hotfoot it across the pavement until you got to the cement sidewalk...something about that oil...???   How much asphalt did they put down...1", 2", 3",...? 

It will be interesting to see how your long term data compares with your past data.

Best wishes.
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com