Author Topic: Do all Midland weather radios ignore the End Of Message (EOM) signal?  (Read 5960 times)

Offline PaulKTF

My Midland WR300's all ignored the End Of Message signal and just kept playing for a few minutes after the alert message was actually over which was very annoying. Do all models of Midland weather radios ignore the End Of Message signals? How about the new WR400? Does it ignore it as well? Thanks.
-Paul.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Do all Midland weather radios ignore the End Of Message (EOM) signal?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »
Mine keeps chattering until I stop it.

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »

What model do you have? My WR300 shuts off after a few minutes on its own.
-Paul.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:03:26 PM »

WR400

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:04:59 PM »

WR400

Ah! Okay, so the WR400 behaves even worse then! Okay, thank for letting me know. I was thinking about maybe getting one but if it does that, forget it. At least my Reecom 1650 recognizes and follows the End Of Message signal.
-Paul.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
What  I have done is limit the counties that I am listening to,  at least it notifies when things go bad.  So if it sqwaks  I at least know things are interesting.  Also I have limited the types of warnings

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
What  I have done is limit the counties that I am listening to,  at least it notifies when things go bad.  So if it sqwaks  I at least know things are interesting.  Also I have limited the types of warnings

That's what I did when I had my Midlands up and in service but it was still annoying to have to get up out of bed late at night to turn them off after the actual alert message ended.
-Paul.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »

That's what I did when I had my Midlands up and in service but it was still annoying to have to get up out of bed late at night to turn them off after the actual alert message ended.

I think that is why they are so noisy... to get us out of bed.   When I am gone, I bet the poor dog hates it. :)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
This is the reason I got rid of my WR300 and got a Reecom 1630. Love that it sounds the watches/warnings for what you have set up, plays it once, then shuts off.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
This is the reason I got rid of my WR300 and got a Reecom 1630. Love that it sounds the watches/warnings for what you have set up, plays it once, then shuts off.

Ditto! I would have kept my Midlands in service if they would have shut off with the End Of Message signal, but they don't, so...
-Paul.

Offline jimform2k1

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »
Model WR1020EZ supports EOM.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 06:18:15 PM »

Is this a valid model? I can't find it listed anywhere. Also, if you meant WR120EZ, none of the documentation on the WR120EZ mentions anything about End of Message (EOM) functionality.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 06:24:30 PM »

Is this a valid model? I can't find it listed anywhere. Also, if you meant WR120EZ, none of the documentation on the WR120EZ mentions anything about End of Message (EOM) functionality.

I've never seen an Midland WR120 or WR120EZ that properly interpreted the End Of Message signal. Can anyone find a YouTube video of one that does?
-Paul.

Offline jimform2k1

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 07:13:14 AM »
I own a WR120EZ.  It immediately goes back to standby.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:15:36 AM by jimform2k1 »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I found this:
* Please note: Embedded in an alert message is the amount of time for which the alert is active.
The WR300 will continue to display the alert until the expiration time. Ex: END 12-55P indicates
the event ends at 12:55 PM.
In the WR300 Owner's Manual.

This might imply that the radio shuts off the audio based on the alert expiration. I am not sure if this refers to something on the display or would also include the radio sound being active. It would be interesting if someone could observe this.

Do you hear the three FSK (modem-like sounds) tones at the end of the message. My Wx radios (Reecom and MTS) mute the audio after the first "squawk".

My APRS TNC requires a good S/N ratio signal before it will decode. Since S.A.M.E. is pretty straightforward, weak signals might cause problems. It does sound like there is no problem activating on the alert, though from the descriptions. So this might not be the case.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 08:01:30 AM »
I have two WR120's made my Midland.  The older of the two will not honor the EOM.  The newer one does.  If I bought a new wx radio today and found that it did not honor the EOM I would return it as defective regardless as to the manufacturers reasoning or intent.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
For what it's worth I own the Sangean CL-100 (since mid 2013) and it shuts off immediately after the End of Message tone is received. Also when it comes on at the beginning of a message it slowly raises the volume rather than blast out af full volume.

Much older CL-100 had some firmware problems. So be aware if you buy a used one. New ones built after around 2012 come with a newer firmware. You can see the version as the last item in the system menu. Mine is running version 2.10 dated Jan-18-2012. And no you can't update the firmware yourself.  And I've read relatively recent reviews (2016) that the newest ones being sold are still running this firmware from 2012.

Highly recommend the Sangean CL-100
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulKTF

For what it's worth I own the Sangean CL-100 (since mid 2013) and it shuts off immediately after the End of Message tone is received. Also when it comes on at the beginning of a message it slowly raises the volume rather than blast out af full volume.

Much older CL-100 had some firmware problems. So be aware if you buy a used one. New ones built after around 2012 come with a newer firmware. You can see the version as the last item in the system menu. Mine is running version 2.10 dated Jan-18-2012. And no you can't update the firmware yourself.  And I've read relatively recent reviews (2016) that the newest ones being sold are still running this firmware from 2012.

Highly recommend the Sangean CL-100

Yeah, I just got a CL-100 and I'm very happy with it. I like that the alarm slowly goes to full volume like that. It's a nicer way to be woken up by the alarm or the Warning alert. :)
-Paul.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Yeah, I just got a CL-100 and I'm very happy with it. I like that the alarm slowly goes to full volume like that. It's a nicer way to be woken up by the alarm or the Warning alert. :)

Cool! Since you just got a CL-100 can you check what version firmware you got. I'm curious if it has been updated since 2016.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulKTF

Cool! Since you just got a CL-100 can you check what version firmware you got. I'm curious if it has been updated since 2016.

Mine has System Version 2.20 from June 7th, 2013. I got it about a month ago from Amazon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 09:46:22 PM by PaulKTF »
-Paul.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
My Reecom failed to turn off after the required weekly test yesterday. This is the first time it did so, the radio just kept going instead of shutting off.
This must mean that it depends on the SAME end of message transmission, I would presume. Normally, it does shut off.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline PaulKTF

My Reecom failed to turn off after the required weekly test yesterday. This is the first time it did so, the radio just kept going instead of shutting off.
This must mean that it depends on the SAME end of message transmission, I would presume. Normally, it does shut off.

Greg H.

Yes. It has to get the End Of Message signal to turn off. Either your local NWS office failed to send the signal (probably due to an error) or the radio signal was weak and it just wasn't picked up by the radio. i wouldn't worry about it if it usually does shut off after the test and actual Watches/Warnings.
-Paul.