Author Topic: WeatherLink.com API for data retrieval  (Read 13660 times)

Offline wicked

Re: WeatherLink.com API for data retrieval
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
I may be missing this - but the json and xml files do not have/report THSW index.  I do see heat index.  Anyone know why this is not passed?

Because current THSW index is not available.

Is this by design or some limitation? I find THSW very useful.

I use WL2.0 And wanted to build a custom webpage and was hoping to show THSW.

In WL2.0 the only place to get THSW is in the chart area. They do not show it on the bulletin page, the mobilize page or the mobilize app. It does in fact show it in their weatherlink app - although update frequency seems once an hour at best.

What’s interesting is that for mobilize (both app and web) the field is there but it only populates “- -“

So it seems they have the data since it’s show accurately in the chart (and my VP2 console) and I opened a ticket with them for the app not populating the field.

Screen shots:

Mobilize app - iPhone:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

WL iphone app:

WL2.0 website - chart tab:

WL2.0 website - mobilize tab:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:44:37 PM by wicked »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
I may be missing this - but the json and xml files do not have/report THSW index.  I do see heat index.  Anyone know why this is not passed?

Because current THSW index is not available.

Is this by design or some limitation? I find THSW very useful.

I use WL2.0 And wanted to build a custom webpage and was hoping to show THSW.

In WL2.0 the only place to get THSW is in the chart area. They do not show it on the bulletin page, the mobilize page or the mobilize app. It does in fact show it in their weatherlink app - although update frequency seems once an hour at best.

What’s interesting is that for mobilize (both app and web) the field is there but it only populates “- -“

So it seems they have the data since it’s show accurately in the chart (and my VP2 console) and I opened a ticket with them for the app not populating the field.

I hope you are successful - but this link from 8 years ago says I had been asking for that for over 3 years....

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=6666.msg63732#msg63732

THW may be available, along with "Daily High THSW".  (I'm just going by the available tags in WeatherLink software)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »
I find THSW  very useful for those days I want the air conditioner on and the wife doesn't.  I put it up on the Kitchen Console and we have coolness in the summer.
I do  believe that Weatherdisplay has those tags. 

However, neither does Weatherlink 1.0; Weatherlink 2.0 or the app for whatever platform you use, have that sent or calculated.   I suspect someone could dig out the formula and write a script that has that calculation.  I do see that the WL 2.0 phone app has that.  Perhaps the best route would be to contact Davisnet and ask them to put that tag out there.   They did say that the desktop (computer) based software was no longer to be supported.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »
They did say that the desktop (computer) based software was no longer to be supported.

To be accurate, Davis have intimated that local Weatherlink is not likely to be significantly developed any further, which is something different from not being supported. So if there's anything new with Windows, USB drivers etc that is incompatible with WL603 then a new WL version with fixes is likely to appear. Indeed I think there might be one pending to deal with some potential issue, but can't quite remember what.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »
This is what I found for WL 2.0  Not sure if it is only for pro or not, but on their user site there is a place to generate the API for your WL2.0

Offline kunnskap

• Anthony Laurito
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
Hello,

I am a French developer. I created Oras, a free application that retrieves data sent by Weatherlink dataloggers. For this, Oras retrieves the data from the website api.weatherlink.com

Basically, this software is a request from my brother (https://www.facebook.com/MeteoVaroise/), who needed to recover and export this data. I make it available for free if it can be used by others.

The development is in stand-by for the moment, but other functionalities will be able to see the day according to the returns of the users (in particular, other possibilities of export of the recovered data).

For the moment it is not yet translated into English, only in French.

You can download Oras here : http://anthonylaurito.fr/devbox/

Thank you
Anthony

Offline neavilag

• ClimaYa.com
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 09:24:31 PM »
Hi All, I have been using the WL api to get data from stations reporting every 1h, but sometimes the station has no connection so I miss data that I am storing my side.

I see that missed data was transmitted in WL, Since API only shows most recent value not history I cannot "fill" missed values without going to download data and process

is there an API endpoint to get history like querying ?from=20180601&to=20180602 for example ?

regards

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »
AFAIK, they've not announced a historical retrieval function in the API .. 5/18/2018 doc here https://www.weatherlink.com/static/docs/APIdocumentation.pdf
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2018, 03:17:39 AM »
It's in binary rather than in JSON or XML format, but of course the web download protocol (explained in the Serial API document) does just this - ie retrieves all summary/archive data over a specified date range from wl.com. For anyone wanted to maintain an independent database of weather data it's probably a better approach than trying to capture all the individual real-time readings.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline neavilag

• ClimaYa.com
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
Thank you for your reply saratogaWx

Thank you johnD, can you give me more info/links about this binary output.

Regards
It's in binary rather than in JSON or XML format, but of course the web download protocol (explained in the Serial API document) does just this - ie retrieves all summary/archive data over a specified date range from wl.com. For anyone wanted to maintain an independent database of weather data it's probably a better approach than trying to capture all the individual real-time readings.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Download the Serial Tech Ref document from the Davis support site and look at the Web Download section.

Although this document largely applies to downloads direct from the logger, the web download section deal with downloads from wl.com. Remember if you're on the 2.0 platform then you need the DID in place of user name plus the account password.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2018, 04:12:04 PM »
I'm having trouble trying to use the api links listed above.

I have the DID and Key from the side of the WeatherlinkIP
I have the Username and Password to log into weatherlink.com.

https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=DID&pass=Password&apiToken=Key

What am I doing wrong?

There is also no option to generate the token (see attached)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:19:00 PM by sho23 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »
I think they've temporarily broken the little utility that provides the APIToken in yesterday's 2.0 update. But you can still find if you go to the Device|Station URL tab and 'Copy' one of the links. This will paste the full URL to the clipboard so paste this into eg a blank notepad and copy the APIToken from there.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2018, 07:26:42 PM »
I think they've temporarily broken the little utility that provides the APIToken in yesterday's 2.0 update. But you can still find if you go to the Device|Station URL tab and 'Copy' one of the links. This will paste the full URL to the clipboard so paste this into eg a blank notepad and copy the APIToken from there.

Using the DID and the account password, combined with the long string of copy pasted values from the links ... did not work either.
Maybe I should just wait for another 1-2 weeks.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 03:06:24 AM »
If you have the correct credentials then it should work - I've just checked the XML option and it works fine for me.

But it's very easy to have a minor error in the way that the overall URL string is assembled, eg a space between the '=' sign and the following data item (there should be no spaces). Unless the syntax of the URL string is _exactly_ correct then the platform will return an error.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:20:32 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »
The option to generate token is now working.

I'm sure it's just something stupid I missed, but I've tried the following..
Where
DID and KEY are from the WeatherlinkIP
Pass is used to login to Weatherlink.com
TOKEN is generated on Weatherlink account information page.

1. https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=DID&pass=PASS&apiToken=TOKEN
2. https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=_DID_&pass=_PASS_&apiToken=_TOKEN_
3. https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=DID&pass=PASS&apiToken=KEY
4. https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=_DID_&pass=_PASS_&apiToken=_KEY_

Sadly none of them worked... my pass have symbols in it - shouldn't matter, right?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:38:41 AM by sho23 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2018, 11:41:58 AM »
Sadly none of them worked... my pass have symbols in it - shouldn't matter, right?

Hmm, wouldn't guarantee it - something at the back of my mind says I might have had past problems with special characters in WL passwords, but can't recall exact details. Are you not able to reset the pw to simple alphanumeric and check?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
Hmm, wouldn't guarantee it - something at the back of my mind says I might have had past problems with special characters in WL passwords, but can't recall exact details. Are you not able to reset the pw to simple alphanumeric and check?

YES

https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=DID&pass=PASS&apiToken=TOKEN

It does not accept symbols - alphanumeric works. I wish there was a note about it.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2018, 01:40:20 PM »

YES

https://api.weatherlink.com/v1/NoaaExt.xml?user=DID&pass=PASS&apiToken=TOKEN

It does not accept symbols - alphanumeric works. I wish there was a note about it.
For a password you type yourself in a field you can use a lot more characters then only alphanumeric ones.

But you are using an URL and there are a lot of characters which are forbidden to be used in an URL as they can have special meanings. If you want to use those "strange / special " characters in an URL you have to encode them.

Google is your friend, this is an example: https://perishablepress.com/stop-using-unsafe-characters-in-urls/

Wim

Offline sho23

• KN6DZN
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »

For a password you type yourself in a field you can use a lot more characters then only alphanumeric ones.

But you are using an URL and there are a lot of characters which are forbidden to be used in an URL as they can have special meanings. If you want to use those "strange / special " characters in an URL you have to encode them.

Google is your friend, this is an example: https://perishablepress.com/stop-using-unsafe-characters-in-urls/

Wim

Aye. I had an inkling about that but decided to doubt myself. I was quadruple checking everything else. Did I swap the 0 with a O, or I with L, or what.
Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks!

Offline stefano90

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 10:09:49 AM »
Hi all,

I hear that in the near future Davis will begin to throttle API requests and Basic units can only be queried every 15 minutes.  Pro units can be queries every 5 minutes and Pro+ units can be queried every 1 minute.

Now this limitation is only for thirdy-part upload but if this will be happens is a very bad news. I have already started with some protest emails.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 04:27:40 AM »
I hear that in the near future Davis will begin to throttle API requests and Basic units can only be queried every 15 minutes.  Pro units can be queries every 5 minutes and Pro+ units can be queried every 1 minute.

Now this limitation is only for thirdy-part upload but if this will be happens is a very bad news.

It does seem that this is likely to happen in the coming months and TBH from what I hear I doubt that the plan is likely to be altered. So this change is definitely to be expected at some point during 2019, maybe Q2?

Personally, I've never been very convinced by the need for 1-minute updates - still much too slow for live wind data and yet other weather parameters typically don't change much from one minute to the next. But 5-minute updates are more useful.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything