Author Topic: An Error Has Occurred!  (Read 3021 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
An Error Has Occurred!
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:07 AM »
There is a bug in the forum when it comes to posting attachments.

If you try to post and image that is too large, or in my last case I tried to post an image with JPEG extension, and you can only post JPG (or others in list) you get an error, telling you to correct the issue.  That is the OK part.

However if you go and change your attachement, then try to repost you get another error.

"An Error Has Occurred!
You already submitted this post! You might have accidently double clicked, or tried to refresh.  "

The only way to get out of this, is to go back and start a new topic.

Not a big deal, but a bug none the less.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: An Error Has Occurred!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:57:26 AM »
Andrew,
    I had the same thing happen to me 2 or 3 times in the last 4 days.  I was trying to attach GRL3 radar images and it would not allow it.  Same error message.  It would have helped my post to include the attachment. 

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:14:39 PM »
I have seen that on other forums
when posting image attachments I always make a copy of what I have typed first!
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:11:25 PM »
Yes, copy/paste/notepad is your friend....for detailed posts anyway.   Learned the hard way the first time.  I instinctively hit "unread posts..." after each action and once you do you are lost.   If you notice the error, a few back's and you can find your text, otherwise its back to the drawing board.

Andrew

I have seen that on other forums
when posting image attachments I always make a copy of what I have typed first!

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:31:41 PM »
The size of attachments is limited to 256kb/post and 128kb for any single attachment.  The PNG images from GR3 tend to be > 256kb each .. I use JPG instead, and the images are around 55 to 85kb each.  Using JPG images with GR3 also cuts down on the FTP traffic (to 1/3) so uploads finish quicker and the smaller sized images are quicker to load in the browser too.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:28:26 AM »
Ken,
I do not have any issues with the size limitation or trying to upload unsupported file types, those were user (me) errors.

The problem is with the board behaviour after an error, when trying to post with corrected values.

Its that "dupe" error that is the bug.

Andrew

The size of attachments is limited to 256kb/post and 128kb for any single attachment.  The PNG images from GR3 tend to be > 256kb each .. I use JPG instead, and the images are around 55 to 85kb each.  Using JPG images with GR3 also cuts down on the FTP traffic (to 1/3) so uploads finish quicker and the smaller sized images are quicker to load in the browser too.