Author Topic: Seeking Recommendations for a Balcony Weather Station  (Read 211 times)

Offline phreshjive

Seeking Recommendations for a Balcony Weather Station
« on: April 26, 2024, 01:55:17 PM »
Greetings fellow weather aficionados,

I’m reaching out to this knowledgeable community for advice on setting up a personal weather station on my balcony. I reside in a condo on the 6th floor, with an overhanging concrete balcony above, which provides some shelter.

My primary interest is in monitoring wind conditions, as I enjoy a daily session with my hookah and prefer to do so when the breeze is gentle. The gusts can sometimes be too strong, disrupting the tranquility of the experience. Additionally, given our location in the North Eastern United States, we’re no strangers to snowstorms and chilly temperatures.

I’m considering installing a wind meter and a temperature sensor. The device would be mounted on a 1-inch pole, secured to my railing with zip ties for stability. I’m looking for something robust that can withstand our varied climate while providing accurate readings.

Could anyone recommend a weather station model that would suit these conditions? Your insights and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards, [A Weather-Conscious Resident]

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
Re: Seeking Recommendations for a Balcony Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 02:44:35 PM »
In my opinion, you will not be able to get "accurate" readings from a personal weather station mounted on a 6th floor balcony of a tall building, at least from a meteorological standpoint. That said, you may still find it useful if you recognize the readings only represent the micro climate of your balcony. Another caution is to check with your HOA rules to make sure this is allowed. It isn't in some HOA contracts.

If you still want to proceed, one option to look at would be the Ecowitt WS80 with something like the GW1100 wi-fi gateway.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 02:46:27 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223