Author Topic: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!  (Read 40611 times)

Offline alan10

Re: WeatherLink Console 6313 has arrived!
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2023, 11:10:50 AM »
Thanks, John. I’ll wait overnight and if it’s still not fixed I’ll raise a ticket.

Offline alan10

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2023, 12:44:24 PM »
Thanks, John. I’ll wait overnight and if it’s still not fixed I’ll raise a ticket.

Decided I couldn’t wait and poked a paper clip into the R hole above the USB socket. Complete restore with no loss of data and with OS updated to 1.1.9. Figured that R stood for Reset and risked bricking it. Success.

Offline ChrisB

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2023, 12:55:23 PM »
I’m following this thread with interest. Has that update done anything to improve functionality or was it purely OS-related?
http://www.kennfordweather.com - Devon, U.K

Davis Vantage Vue | Davis AirLink | WiFi Logger

Offline alan10

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2023, 01:39:09 PM »
I’m following this thread with interest. Has that update done anything to improve functionality or was it purely OS-related?

I haven’t done a thorough check, I’m just happy to get everything back and working, but it’s a pity we don’t get release notes for updates. So far, no noticeable changes.

Offline scudwatcher

• Billy T. Forecaster Webmaster csraweather.net
  • Senior Contributor
  • Amateur Radio KC4SRA csraweather.net
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2023, 02:56:40 PM »
Did you say update?  What update?  It's ridiculous that notifications were not received.  If these updates are automatic, it still would be nice to be notified or like "alan10" states, my preference would be checking the console manually and pressing a tab if an update was available.  I check all my devices for updates, weekly.  I will check my console when I return home from work.  And what revision number? 1.1.7 to 1.1.9?  Jeez....."alan10", I would have done the same thing by doing a reset.  It shouldn't take three hours to update.  My console has been running smooth since I set it up last month.  Really waiting for Davis Technical Support to issue an update for the AIRLINK sensors!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2023, 05:14:24 PM »
Things appear to be going down the direction of Microsoft's update mentality and approach?

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2023, 05:25:44 PM »
Okay,
  So when I returned home, my 6313 console did have two update tabs:  Console Firmware UPDATE TO 1.1.14  Console O/S UPDATE TO 1.1.9.
I am currently updating O/S to 1.1.9.  I guess, it doesn't matter about notifications.  I have trained myself to check updates on all my devices weekly, including third-party software like WEATHER-DISPLAY.  But, I receive notifications if CumulusMX has a new build to download....

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2023, 05:35:12 PM »
It's mildly interesting that the update behaviour seems to have been changed from when the manual was drafted. The manual says:

'Console and operating system are both updated automatically at 3:00 a.m. local time when they become available.'

Implying that the update happens automatically. Now the behaviour seems to be that the console checks automatically but only registers a notification if an update is available, but leaves it up to the user to decide when the update should be installed.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2023, 09:08:02 PM »
"......firmware is really just another type of software, just one that has a more specific role (enabling hardware functions). "

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.esper.io/firmware-vs-software-whats-the-difference/amp/

Offline cruff

Re: Update Behavior
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2023, 10:43:45 PM »
I initiated an OS update this evening, and after an hour it still said it was downloading files. My WiFi router said there was no traffic related to the 6313, so I reset it and started the OS update again. After about 15 minutes it had completed the download and update, but said both the OS and the firmware were updated to the latest versions.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
This forced/automatic update mentality should be pushed back on at every opportunity. It is simply bad policy to be updating just for the sake of updating, it is even worse when any update is being automatically forced onto a device. This issue is becoming a serious issue across quite a few companies and it really does need to be stopped, update notifications are ok but any decision to action any update must be the decision of the owner.   

Offline mongo

« Reply #161 on: March 22, 2023, 09:42:01 AM »
I'm curious about  the forecast setting on the new console. When I did the setup I declined to connect to my weatherlink account. When I customize the display to show any forecasts for weather or temps, that area on the display is blank. I've been up and running the console for about 18 hours now. Anyone displaying forecasts and not connected to WL? Thanks.
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2023, 10:19:35 AM »
I did not observe any information of the forecast bubble configuration in the Weatherlink Console User Manual, but in Davis Instruments Weatherlink Console FAQ : “ Why can’t I see forecasts?”  “Internet-based, localized forecasts are only available when you are in Online mode. (Logged in to WeatherLink.com.)”  I would have assumed that the forecast would be derived from barometric pressure tendency?  I am probably incorrect stating this…SMH…but, it seems like you need to open a Weatherlink.com account?

Offline mongo

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2023, 10:25:22 AM »
I was worrying about sending data with both consoles. I might start sending to WL with the new console and see what happens. Thanks for the help.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2023, 10:41:47 AM »
I would have assumed that the forecast would be derived from barometric pressure tendency? 

No, that's the old-style VP2 console forecast. With the 6313 console, the forecast is supplied from a global weather model in the cloud by one of the big modelling companies (I forget which one I'm afraid) for the locality configured in the console. This is why the forecast can be much more detailed and show, for example, temperature data throughout the day for (IIRC) up to 7 days out. Presumably the forecast is downloaded and updated through weatherlink.com, which might explain why there is no forecast available when the console is offline.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:46:47 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
I was worrying about sending data with both consoles.

The new console will send to an existing account at weatherlink.com but to its own station. Remember that you can have many stations set up within a single user account, with each station associated with a unique Device ID. You cannot configure the 6313 console to send data to an existing station within your account that you have at wl.com - it will send data to its own new station, which you will name when setting up the new station uploads. So if you have two separate devices uploading to wl.com then you will automatically end up with 2 stations at wl.com. They will be displaying the same outside data, but will be distinct.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 12:00:08 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mongo

« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2023, 10:58:55 AM »
I did a factory reset. This time I connected to my WL account. The forecast displayed now. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
now i have no scrolling ticker tape
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 03:50:35 PM by mongo »
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
I think the ticker tape feature is still being debugged - it is definitely not working fully at present. There is a new firmware release rumoured for mid-to later April, but maybe there will be an interim release before then.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mongo

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2023, 11:43:28 AM »
Thanks. Also the position of the sun on the sunrise/sunset picture above the ticker tape freezes until I change to customize the display mode. When i return out of that the sun appears in the correct position. Maybe tied in with the scrolling forecast. Just minor things. This screen is easy on the eyes.

Update from Davis Tech:"I'm able to duplicate this issue on my console.  I'm pretty sure that's not intentional, will report it as a bug."

I think a button to return to initial set up would be handy instead of doing a full reset.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:55:44 AM by mongo »
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »
Just for the record, I've added some notes on the new 6313 console on our Davis support knowledgebase at:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/davis-6313-weatherlink-console

This is simply, as it says, a set of notes about the console's many features, but also its present limitations.

Just to note that I have expanded and updated these notes substantially in the past few days. There are now 4 separate topic pages on the 6313 console that you will see in the table of contents to the left of the main text. Corrections and suggestions always appreciated.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2023, 04:22:17 PM »
Received my 6313 console (finally!) in today's mail.

I have a couple of comments:

The protective plastic "film" covering the display was very difficult to get a hold of to remove, despite an apparent corner area in the upper LH. I just kept getting it stuck down tighter the more I fiddled with it. I got it started back lifting up with a straight pin. That protector is really thick and seriously impedes the finger press responses.

During the initial set up process, the WiFi setup went well and connected with no issues. It took quite a while to update, but the screen warned about that. My real problem was that the map screen where you touch your location was going bonkers and jumping around. I finally just picked a spot on the map (Nebraska or something that it could land on), and went on to the station configuration screens.  ](*,)

I ran into the same kind of problems there, with station configuration and selection. The choices would not "take" and I just set an ISS and Wind, but couldn't get stable screens to make any detailed configuration settings. Very weird and disturbing.

Once the setup process was semi complete with the knowingly incorrect configurations, the transmitters were found and data stabilized in the display.

I was then able to go to the manual configuration selections and was able to pick and configure the ISS, Wind and 2nd Rain gauge. I do like having a dual rain gauge display!

I don't know why it was going "nuts" during the initial guided setup. It did seem OK with the later editing and everything was stable and worked as one would expect.

The initial guided setup needs work, most people would not be able to get through this kind of behavior.

Now that I got it working, I do like it.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline scudwatcher

• Senior Contributor
    • CSRA Weather
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2023, 07:19:27 AM »
Thanks. Also the position of the sun on the sunrise/sunset picture above the ticker tape freezes until I change to customize the display mode.

I have to go to "customize display" also, then when I revert back, the sun position is correct.  I don't recall observing any "ticker tape" messages.  I will monitor for the next several days of forecasted probability of precipitation.

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2023, 07:51:08 AM »
Received my 6313 console (finally!) in today's mail.

I have a couple of comments:

The protective plastic "film" covering the display was very difficult to get a hold of to remove, despite an apparent corner area in the upper LH. I just kept getting it stuck down tighter the more I fiddled with it. I got it started back lifting up with a straight pin. That protector is really thick and seriously impedes the finger press responses.

During the initial set up process, the WiFi setup went well and connected with no issues. It took quite a while to update, but the screen warned about that. My real problem was that the map screen where you touch your location was going bonkers and jumping around. I finally just picked a spot on the map (Nebraska or something that it could land on), and went on to the station configuration screens.  ](*,)

I ran into the same kind of problems there, with station configuration and selection. The choices would not "take" and I just set an ISS and Wind, but couldn't get stable screens to make any detailed configuration settings. Very weird and disturbing.

Once the setup process was semi complete with the knowingly incorrect configurations, the transmitters were found and data stabilized in the display.

I was then able to go to the manual configuration selections and was able to pick and configure the ISS, Wind and 2nd Rain gauge. I do like having a dual rain gauge display!

I don't know why it was going "nuts" during the initial guided setup. It did seem OK with the later editing and everything was stable and worked as one would expect.

The initial guided setup needs work, most people would not be able to get through this kind of behavior.

Now that I got it working, I do like it.

Greg H.

Received my console TUE.  Update smooth and was finished in about 15min, setup went flawlessly.    My issue is that I have my anemometer is on the roof on channel 2 primary ISS is on channel 1.  Console sees everything just fine. I don't see windchill, or THSW data.  Is there a work around for this?
6313 https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/cb3e18e8f5d14f3f88ec6f7152939b1c/summary
Old console https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/472a4b4962374165a56f510499ec50bd/summary
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:07:14 AM by Jester »
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2023, 08:01:54 AM »
Console sees everything just fine. I don't windchill, or THSW data.  Is there a work around for this?

Do you have wind checked on the ISS channel? If so then there should be an option now under Advanced settings to choose the roof anemometer as the source of wind data.

I can see the logic of this, but it's just not my logic  :-)
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2023, 08:12:48 AM »
Console sees everything just fine. I don't windchill, or THSW data.  Is there a work around for this?

Do you have wind checked on the ISS channel? If so then there should be an option now under Advanced settings to choose the roof anemometer as the source of wind data.

I can see the logic of this, but it's just not my logic  :-)

Tried that already, wind will not report.
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

anything