Author Topic: Extending anemometer cable from ISS  (Read 6797 times)

Offline wa4zwc

Extending anemometer cable from ISS
« on: October 13, 2006, 10:55:32 AM »
Has anyone tried to extend the 40 ft anemometer cable supplied with the wireless Vantage Pro 2 ?  Also can the cable be buried as long as the connector for the extension is waterproofed?
I need to run mine approximately 60 ft.

I know that there is a wireless solution to this, but I figured it would be less expensive if I could use the cable.

Thanks,

Jerry  :)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »
Hi Jerry...

Well, you could of course buy the extra long cable that Davis makes--I don't recall exactly, well, I'll just look it up right now... it's 100'.

I have thought about splicing my own extension as well...

Provantage has the 100' extension for less than $36 (I didn't get a discount price quote), and it includes a waterproof coupler...

You won't notice that extra amount for the purchase you're looking at! I can help you spend your money!!  :lol:

Unless you've already got the equipment to make a connection for 4 conductor cable, I'd apply that expense to buying the pre-made extension...

I wouldn't think having the cable underground is any worse than out in the open being exposed to all weather... but..... I might consider using conduit anyway...

Alright! You really are on the path!

Marc

P.S. Now that I'm thinking about it, you could probably find various lengths of 4-conductor plus waterproof connectors at Lowes or Home Depot--I'll have to check it out this weekend myself...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 11:27:21 AM »
According to the Davis manual, you can extend the anemometer cable up to 540' without impacting max measurable wind speed readings. I don't see anything about burying the cable. Davis Support should be able to answer that question if others in this forum don't know.  The cables available from Davis come with waterproof coupler kits (see the following link for details: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/install_cables.asp). You could always use small pvc pipe and feed the cables through it to keep any water out.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline wa4zwc

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 01:21:47 PM »
Thanks Marc and Don for your information.

Jerry  :)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »
Jerry for what its worth when I had a WMII I buried my cables for the annie in pvc. Just extra protection for the long run. But,  about a year later the annie went bad and I had to send it in for repair. It was a pain in the butt digging all  that ground up. I know its cheaper to use the cable but if you ever have to dig it up to get repaired you'll know what I mean.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

anything