Author Topic: Biden on weather  (Read 4905 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Biden on weather
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 03:42:24 AM »
I just wish they would stop fiddling with the data to fake the numbers they think they need to justify whatever it is they are trying to justify, leave the weather alone, the weather will do whatever the weather wants to do and has been doing so since day zero. Every day there is some lost soul who has only the one answer regardless what the question is

- Parrots are apparently growing longer beaks, yep it's climate change
- Warming started in the 1700's, when up, went down, went down some more, went up a little and they still don't get
- They make a big deal re CO2 but currently the lowest it's ever been in known history, what's the excuse of the extremely high CO2 in the past million years, they don;t want to know
- It rains, it's climate change
- It doesn't rain, it's climate change
- Many sprout average global temperature, which can never be a direct "observation" yet they claim accuracy to fractions of a degree
- some need an excuse for every little thing 

My wish too what they are doing now with rural ASOS stations is despicable IMO.  It's easy to spot which stations are altered (+1.8f) just look at the RH. It looks like the long-time established climate stations (rural) are the primary stations unable to reach above 94%, the same station's scientists look at for determining our warming rate. 

This is the result of  13+ years of appointees heading NOAA by the party of hysteria. I'm not a denier I do believe we are warming but faking it so congress can pass strangling legislation on climate control is just wrong. It skews not only our historic records but also our actual warming rate is.  And then we have these ignorant Republicans who are clueless on what's going on they didn't even fight for the head of NOAA position when they had a chance so these fat cats appointed by Obama have had free reign 13+ years and are getting rather bold messing with actual data now.  Oh, and that +1.8f happens to be within the manufacture spec on temperature so even if busted nothing will happen.
Randy

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 04:29:03 AM »
ps doubled mRNA Pfizer-BioNTech vaxed since April appointment for third dose next tuesday…!!
Might want to keep all your Tuesdays open.  I think booster shots may start coming about once a week.

:shock:

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 05:42:31 AM »
ps doubled mRNA Pfizer-BioNTech vaxed since April appointment for third dose next tuesday…!!
Might want to keep all your Tuesdays open.  I think booster shots may start coming about once a week.

:grin:  you could be right .. in all seriousness it’s NOT mandatory so the choice is mine and living in a city of 20 million in a radius of 120km the risk factor is still very high , i just simply do not want to end up in an ICU , having a relative who recovered after spending 10 days in ICU i just dont want too go through that at my age he is 39 ..as for masks that is mandatory so not much choice on that one just do the right thing to go about daily life best we can..

climate change im unconvinced but not ignorant just unconvinced of the real cause probably to much variety of information to digest to come to any conclusion  ..all our disasters here (turkey) this summer had that element of man made problems, severe flooding occurred in areas where construction of roads,homes were dense and poorly designed at foot of mountainous areas  , rainwater no where to run but solid concrete .fire outbreaks here much of it started by human ignorance, i.e barbecue on a day where temp hits 40c/104F and very low humidity in forestry picnic area or alike or as caught on camera young adolescent simply throwing there cigarettes stubs into grassland at side of roads..

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 05:50:58 AM »
What is the issue? Wore a mask at work for 12 hours straight every second day for last 18 months. No issues.
My understanding is that bacteria breeding in front of your face may not be good for you.  But then, maybe it helps build up your immune system, but what does that matter if you're going to get a vaccine anyway?  Besides not being comfortable, hindering communication, etc.  I don't see how it can be healthy.

So why don't you get fully vaccinated?  If you are vaccinated, then aren't you safe? If you're safe then why are you wearing a mask?  Or have what they've told us in the past about vaccines being fully effective and the end-all been all wrong?  Sort of like how we were only going to have to wear masks for a couple of weeks when this all started?

Maybe wearing a mask has been good for you, and maybe you enjoy it.  I'm sure many people have said that there were no issues after having smoked for 18 months also.  Time will tell all the unintended consequences of all this stuff being pushed.

If a bacterial infection was going to harm me I'm guessing I would know that by now. Fresh washable or disposable.....I never felt I had anything dirty on my face. Communication does suck at times.

I am fully vaccinated......all our employees are.....(it's Federal requirement now too) ......that's why we don't have to wear the masks at work now. They were useful to prevent the case where it could spread among those yet un-vaccinated. The only outbreak issue we had in the company (pre-vaccine) was traced to not following protocol.

A vaccine built on previous knowledge plus new data is not something that particularly scares me. Half the population not protecting themselves from getting severely sick and/or spreading a nasty infectious bug......that scares me.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2021, 06:10:31 AM »
Forget Biden, look at what former US vice president Al Gore has been peddling for the past 20 years, still waiting for his crazed claims to materialize  :shock: Remember the 2009 claim that the north pole will be ice-free by 2013 because of man-made global warming, and this character was vice president, oh yeah another misunderstand comment by another misunderstood (incompetent) vice president     

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2021, 09:50:43 AM »
ps doubled mRNA Pfizer-BioNTech vaxed since April appointment for third dose next tuesday

How did you arrange the extra vaccinations ? Weren't you keeping it from a first timer ? (Not judging. I live in a hot area and considered that myself)  Any noticeable side affects after the second set ?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »
Ach mein himmel,  maybe those of you who are anti-masking,  no vaccine for you,  will you do two things?  go get exposed quickly,  don't go to the hospital and waste resources and then promptly die off !!!

Those of you morons who think you know it all, are very annoying to those of us who do know it all.

Harsh?  I hope you and the Mu variant become buddies

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2021, 11:26:46 AM »
Forget Biden, look at what former US vice president Al Gore has been peddling for the past 20 years, still waiting for his crazed claims to materialize  :shock: Remember the 2009 claim that the north pole will be ice-free by 2013 because of man-made global warming, and this character was vice president, oh yeah another misunderstand comment by another misunderstood (incompetent) vice president     

It is ice free . Polar bears are dying,  pull your head out of your hiney and look around.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2021, 12:16:33 PM »

It is ice free . Polar bears are dying,  pull your head out of your hiney and look around.
Wow!  Talk about misinformation, Aardvark!  Use your own advice, please.
Current North Pole Ice.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2021, 12:33:34 PM »
Ach mein himmel,  maybe those of you who are anti-masking,  no vaccine for you,  will you do two things?  go get exposed quickly,  don't go to the hospital and waste resources and then promptly die off !!!

Those of you morons who think you know it all, are very annoying to those of us who do know it all.

Harsh?  I hope you and the Mu variant become buddies
Again, if you are vaccinated and faithfully following Dr. Fauci and your other gods, what are you worried about?  Is the vaccine effective or not?  Do you reason things out or do you just follow party dogma?

In any case, I'm not about to take orders from you, or a president who has surrendered to and aids and abets the enemy while deserting his own citizens and treating them as if they're the enemy, and who is ignoring the Constitution.  Berating and insulting people are not the way to get compliance.

As I already mentioned, I have had the virus.  I know it disappoints you that I didn't suffer any lasting or serious consequences.  Too bad!  I didn't even take up any of the medical resources that you would have us believe are all being squandered by the great unwashed, unmasked, and unvaccinated. I also know that you, along with the rest of your partisans, don't understand natural immunity, community (herd) immunity, or things like that, which is another reason that I do not take orders from you.

So again, is the vaccine effective or not?

If the vaccine is effective, and you have had it, why are you so scared of those who haven't had it?

If the vaccine is not effective, then why do you deign to order others to get it?

Maybe you mean things like this as a joke.  I know my intentions aren't always clear when I write.  But at least to me you come across as an arrogant, yet ignorant man.  Not to mention hateful, fearful and hypocritical.  I doubt there's much worse in life than living in hate and fear, not even a virus.  But hate and fear seems to be the platform of the party you hold so faithfully to.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:41:14 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2021, 12:41:10 PM »

How did you arrange the extra vaccinations ? Weren't you keeping it from a first timer ? (Not judging. I live in a hot area and considered that myself)  Any noticeable side affects after the second set ?

good evening my mistake it is October for third vax appointment . im in turkey so I cant speak for how it works in other countries.but we simply have an app that notifies you of eligibility for vaccination appointment you just choose the date and nearest place .

here in turkey aprox  9 million here have received a third dose  that said we began rolling out vaccine in January so a large percentage of the adult population has been fully vaccinated. we have been fortunate here because politics never ever came into the equation so only obstacle has been those who question the science which is generally a social media thing drumming up misinformation.

“Turkey, which is using both the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and the jab developed by the Chinese company Sinovac in its inoculation drive that was rolled out in mid-January, is already offering the third doses.

According to data from the Health Ministry, more than 9 million people have been given the third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.This week 100 million milestone  of with just over 101 million vaccines have been administered since January.Population of country aprox 80 million including children.. “

only thing I will say lockdowns and restrictions did nothing beneficial just caused financial problems and mental health problems for many .

@snowhiker i can only speak for what I see here in turkey so take what you want from below but the 90% unvaccinated being hospitalized is no brainer ..

hospitalized due to covid
unvaccinated people currently are 90% of those currently hospitalized
7% hospitalized have received 1 dose
2% hospitalized have received 2 doses and have generally an underlying condition.. vaccine has been our only benefit .

masks are mandatory with penalty but there is no evidence they have proven beneficial against current delta variant and we have 2 local cases MU variant reported this week. There is no shortage of vaccine here and pretty much available on demand for the adult population..

@garth
edit missed your question…
second dose no side effects worth worrying about just a bit of fatigue for 24 hours

So moral of this vaccine is the only positive option we currently have .

and as I quoted earlier being humorous “if mRNA changes your DNA why am I still ugly”    :grin:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:59:51 PM by weather34 »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 01:55:52 PM »
So again, is the vaccine effective or not?

If the vaccine is effective, and you have had it, why are you so scared of those who haven't had it?...

Yes it is effective.....to the degree that it has been described as being. It does not totally prevent infection. It greatly reduces your chance of getting very, very sick. And it makes you somewhat less transmissible if you do have it. So even if vaccinated, masks can be a good idea in certain enclosed settings.

So we are not so much scared OF un-vaccinated as we are scared FOR them. If by chance we did get it and spread it, they are vulnerable. Just like all the kids who are not eligible. Do it for the kids, if nothing else.

And not scared of, but at least somewhat annoyed at, because the longer un-vaccinated folks float around getting sick the longer business etc. is held back from full operation (for various reasons) and the more chance the virus has to continue to mutate and be resistant if everyone eventually does get vax........and the vicious cycle goes on.

Quickly and consistently doing all the measures possible is the best way to stamp it out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:57:40 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 02:29:36 PM »

Yes it is effective.....to the degree that it has been described as being. It does not totally prevent infection. It greatly reduces your chance of getting very, very sick. And it makes you somewhat less transmissible if you do have it. So even if vaccinated, masks can be a good idea in certain enclosed settings.

So we are not so much scared OF un-vaccinated as we are scared FOR them. If by chance we did get it and spread it, they are vulnerable. Just like all the kids who are not eligible. Do it for the kids, if nothing else.

And not scared of, but at least somewhat annoyed at, because the longer un-vaccinated folks float around getting sick the longer business etc. is held back from full operation (for various reasons) and the more chance the virus has to continue to mutate and be resistant if everyone eventually does get vax........and the vicious cycle goes on.

Quickly and consistently doing all the measures possible is the best way to stamp it out.

Thanks for giving a reasoned argument! 

Though I did find it significant you didn't address natural immunity.

I wonder, are all these precautions actually prolonging the pandemic and allowing more chance for mutation, rather than just letting those who are not at high risk get the virus and allow "herd immunity" to do its work?  I can agree that high-risk individuals should take all the precautions they can. 

It's becoming apparent to me that it is not going to be stamped out anytime soon, or ever, despite all the promises of getting back to normal if we just obediently follow the ever-changing rules as we go along.  That's why I tend to think the cure (prevention, or whatever) is worse than the disease.  How many of the dire consequences that have been predicted have come to pass?

Last I knew, kids weren't at high risk.  Don't take unnecessary risks with them, but why not let them live normal and natural lives and become immune?  I know you don't have a problem with masks, but I think making kids wear masks for hours at a time at least borders on child abuse.  But I'm one who didn't really even enjoy wearing Halloween masks when I was kid.

As the unvaccinated chose not to get vaccinated, then I see no need to be scared for them or take extra precautions on account of them.  There may have been a purpose in that before the vaccine became widely available.  I may be wrong, but I believe most taking all these precautions are either doing it because they're ordered to, or they're concerned for themselves or their families.

Anyway, I'll give you'll a respite for awhile as I really need to get some work done.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 02:58:31 PM by SnowHiker »

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
The thing with allowing it to go for the herd is the mutating. More live subjects to base it on.

Doing nothing and trying for herd immunity seems would have been disastrous.....maybe IDK......but I think it would have.

Dire consequences have not happened bacuase at least some things are being done. But that is why we are not getting to the end either......SOME things are being done.

Kids are certainly becoming many of the cases now, and in hospital too. And it worries me the inflammatory problem identified in kids post-Covid infection. Not good to let them get it. Going to school now they are doing a lot of higher risk mingling than many were in the summer with immediate family or maybe a small group.

Immunity can be an issue in the young and in the old. Young immune systems do not have the knowledge to know how to fight and old systems are becoming weaker. They are both higher risk groups.

I hate seeing kids wearing masks in a way. Not in an abuse way but lack of ability to express freely.

I would like to see it all come to an end. I am doing what I believe is the best way to help. I know there are a lot of extreme beliefs each way that are full on crackpot. Surely somewhere in the middle can prevail.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 03:12:50 PM »
I see it was the hottest summer on record in the USA

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 03:17:53 PM »
We have said the last three years at least it is crappy spring then BOOM! Heat Wave! until the end of August.

Had to get gazebo with curtains for shade to even sit outside. Makes me think of Sheikhs in the desert in tents.

Winter has transitioned into more Ice Rain and transitional weather. Used to have a nice cool winter for several months with predictable snow. Now it could be anything from thunder-downpour to baseball hail.

I say more extreme stuff for sure.

I don't buy that we can really do anything about it.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »
it was also Europe's Hottest summer on record
And parts of the southern hemisphere have had their warmest winter on record

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2021, 04:10:09 PM »

Wow!  Talk about misinformation, Aardvark!  Use your own advice, please.
Current North Pole Ice.

To quote your own reference,  Oh I should apologize, you can't read with comprehension:
The decline in sea ice extent during August was relatively slow but steady after a pause in ice loss around August 9. The average daily loss was 33,000 square kilometers (12,700 square miles) per day, although by the end of the month the pace of ice loss increased to 51,000 square kilometers (19,700 square miles) per day as areas within the Beaufort and Chukchi Sea started to lose more ice. The monthly average extent for August 2021 is 5.75 million square kilometers (2.22 million square miles) (Figure 1a). This is 1.03 million square kilometers (398,000 square miles) above the record low for the month set in 2012 and 1.45 million square kilometers (560,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average.

Now for the bears:
  The consequences of climate change are unfolding far more rapidly and intensely in the Arctic than anywhere else in the world. Soaring temperatures, rapidly melting ice and snow, rising sea levels and acidifying oceans are threatening all Arctic wildlife, from great whales to tiny plankton — not just the iconic polar bear.

A new report from the Center and Care for the Wild International, Extinction: It’s Not Just for Polar Bears, chronicles the most profound climatic changes in the Arctic and documents the impacts those changes are already having on wildlife, with a focus on 17 species at risk. The report concludes with a roadmap of actions needed to preserve the Arctic as we know it today. Because what’s happening in the Arctic is an early example of climate change’s frightening effects on the entire planet, we must protect this region if we want to protect ourselves.
Key findings of the report:

Arctic meltdown: Losing the Arctic as we know it

The Arctic has warmed at twice the rate of the rest of the globe on average.
    Summer sea ice fell to a record low in 2007 and has not recovered since.
    The Greenland ice sheet is rapidly thinning as meltpools and moulins form on its surface and enormous chunks of ice break off its edges.
    The Arctic Ocean is becoming more acidic as it absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, which threatens to make conditions unlivable for many shell-building species by 2050.
    The Arctic plays a critical role in keeping the rest of the planet cool, keeping powerful greenhouse gases locked up in its permafrost layer and driving the circulation of the global ocean; climate change is breaking down the Arctic’s ability to carry out these functions.

Wildlife on the edge: Species being pushed to the brink

The report highlights climate change impacts on 17 species: the Arctic fox; polar bear; Pacific walrus; four ice seals (ringed, bearded, harp and ribbon seals); four whales (gray, beluga, bowhead and narwhal); sea butterfly; three seabirds (Kittlitz’s murrelet, spectacled eider and ivory gull); and two terrestrial mammals (caribou/reindeer and muskox). Many species are suffering declines in abundance, and for some, extinction may not be far off.
    The Arctic fox, which roams across tundra and sea ice, is disappearing from the southern edge of its range. At sea, it faces the loss of sea-ice foraging grounds. On land, it faces the northward retreat of tundra habitat, declines in lemming prey, and increased competition with red foxes, which are moving north as temperatures warm.
    Ice-dependent marine mammals are suffering die-offs and population declines as they lose the sea-ice habitat they need to give birth, raise young, hunt, rest and hide from predators.
    Arctic whales are at risk from increasing offshore oil drilling and shipping activity as areas become ice-free, which heightens threats from oil spills, ship strikes and noise.
    Ocean plankton like the tiny sea butterfly face increasingly hostile conditions from ocean acidification, which inhibits their building of protective shells and skeletons.
    Seabirds that forage near glaciers and sea ice are losing their feeding grounds and resting places, while thawing permafrost threatens to drain their wetland breeding habitat.
    Tundra dwellers like the caribou and muskox are being affected by warmer spring       temperatures that alter food abundance, as well as extreme winter weather events leaving dense snow and ice crusts that obstruct their access to food.
    Climate change is having profound impacts not only on individual species but also on the Arctic ecosystems to which they belong. Entire habitats are vanishing, and ecological communities are being torn apart.

Your comments lead me to believe that your interest in climate is lacking and you are ignorant on the subject.

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/climate_law_institute/the_arctic_meltdown/arctic_extinction_report.html

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2021, 05:18:12 PM »
ps, thank you davidmc36 for your very good info re vaccination and masks

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
I wonder, are all these precautions actually prolonging the pandemic and allowing more chance for mutation, rather than just letting those who are not at high risk get the virus and allow "herd immunity" to do its work?
How are you suggesting we do that? From what I have seen of the Delta variant, it is increasingly seriously affecting people who had no known risk factors other than not being not vaccinated.

Looking at other diseases, this is unlikely to work, anyway. Look at the Flu. Have we gained "herd immunity" from the Flu? Perhaps from some strains, but while it floats around in the population who don't die from the strain they have, there is a chance that a mutation will occur and be passed on. Which is why the Flu vaccine changes year upon year.

I recall TB, Polio, Whooping Cough and a myriad of other diseases that were around when I was young. These diseases were not (nearly) eradicated because the population had gained "herd immunity" - they had been around a long time before I was born. They were knocked on the head because we all lined up and got a vaccination.

Anyway "Herd Immunity" does not eliminate a disease, it reduces the spread of the disease. I would rather have actual immunity than rely on everyone else around me having immunity so I don't get exposed. It annoys me when there is some sobbing parent on the news because their kid is in hospital with Whooping Cough because they didn't vaccinate the kid against all medical advice. They decided that it wasn't necessary because they lived a healthy lifestyle and there was "herd immunity". I feel sorry for the kid for being so painfully ill and especially because it has idiot parents. No sympathy for the parents.

“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2021, 08:50:33 PM »
The people that are testing positive for covid are those who have never had covid regardless of vaccination status. This will continue to be true no matter how many booster shots are required. My whole family tested positive in December of last year. I have no fear of getting covid a second time. Natural immunity has been proven to be stronger than any vaccination (at least the current vaccinations) which shouldn't be surprising to anyone....but common sense has left the building. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2021, 09:07:48 PM »
Natural immunity has been proven to be stronger than any vaccination (at least the current vaccinations) which shouldn't be surprising to anyone....but common sense has left the building.
=D>   However, "common sense" has nothing to do with it. Control and power do.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2021, 09:30:46 PM »
Two specific things stand out with the homogenization of historical data, the peer review claims (interpreted as you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours), now where's our grant money.

Another thing is the Global Warming term which had to go as that didn't explain the cooling so come the term climate change and now it didn't matter if it was cooling or warming, they clap both hands for their grant money

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:43:57 PM by Mattk »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »
what cooling are you talking about?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2021, 12:44:43 AM »
Two specific things stand out with the homogenization of historical data, the peer review claims (interpreted as you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours), now where's our grant money.

Another thing is the Global Warming term which had to go as that didn't explain the cooling so come the term climate change and now it didn't matter if it was cooling or warming, they clap both hands for their grant money
In Iowa , it was spent on salary bonus for the governor and her staff, a new computer system, and now media for jobs. None went for what it was intended for.   

Again, with global warming,  if the government isn't doing a lot it is up to us, the people.