Author Topic: WeatherLink.Com - Station Models, Clarification.  (Read 955 times)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
WeatherLink.Com - Station Models, Clarification.
« on: August 21, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »
On the WeatherLink.com Device Info page there is an option to select the Station Model.

Why is there a necessity to differentiate a specific selection for a Wireless or Cabled system? My thinking would be once the logger has received the data being a Wireless or Cabled system is then irrelevant to uploading that data to WeatherLink.com?

Also the distinction between a "Vantage Pro2, Wireless" and a "Vantage Pro2, Wireless, Metric"? is there a specific need to specifically distinguish between what is an Imperial system and a Metric System over and above the station configuration/s and WeatherLink.com Unit measurements?

Each Station Model group appears to be in three's, Wireless, Wireless Metric and Wireless OV. What's the purpose of the specific "OV" tag?

Offline davidg_nz

• Sandy Bay Weather
Re: WeatherLink.Com - Station Models, Clarification.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 07:40:22 PM »
Never used weatherlink.com so just a few guesses:

Wired stations don't support expansion beyond Solar and UV sensors (no extra leaf, soil, temperature or humidity sensors). Showing wireless reception also doesn't make much sense for wired stations.

Metric might be for the rain gauge - out of the box the US imperial stations measure in increments of 0.01 inches where as the metric rain gauges measure in 0.2mm. You can convert an imperial station to metric though - the wired VP2 I imported from the USA had a little thing you could clip on to convert it to metric. So I guess regardless of what you choose here there must be an option to set the rain gauge size (0.01 inches, 0.2mm or 0.1mm are what the console supports)

OV I'm not sure about. IIRC the OV tag means its an overseas unit. Only difference I think is they're metric out of the box and maybe transmit on different frequencies. Don't see why they'd need that information.
Port Charles, Coromandel, New Zealand | Wired Vantage Pro2+, Ubiquiti AirCam
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand | Wireless Vantage Pro2+, 24h FARS, Leaf+Soil Station, Envoy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink.Com - Station Models, Clarification.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 07:12:59 AM »
The broad answer is that I think wl.com is attempting to identify as exactly as possible the station type that is being configured. At one level, it probably doesn't matter too much to distinguish between say an M and OV station. But I suspect that it's a future-proofing step that - from the outset of wl.com using the v2 API - it tries to capture as much metadata as possible, in case it might become significant in the future. If you were to look at the sensor catalog for the v2 API you'll see that, for example, each and every ISS type (there are over 40 of them IIRC) has its own sensor ID even though the data structures are identical for many of them.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.