Author Topic: Meteo-Pi, Weatherlink.com and PoE?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline GlynH

Meteo-Pi, Weatherlink.com and PoE?
« on: May 29, 2021, 05:04:59 PM »
Hi there,

Just rekindling a long dormant interest in weather following a resurgence of interest in virtual radar earlier this year and wanted to ask a question I haven't seen addressed yet.

I have the Davis 6132 Console fitted with 6555 IP Logger sending data to Weatherlink.com which needed no real setup apart from adding the device on the Davis website.

Is the Meteo-Pi capable of sending compatible data to Weatherlink.com and if so how is this achieved please?

I really like the idea of the Meteo-Pi especially as it can power the console from the Pi using a 6-wire cable as I understand it.

As I run my Pi's headless in the loft and use the official PoE HAT to power them will this supply enough voltage/current to drive the Davis console in addition to the Pi itself?

I currently use the v2 HAT which resolved a current issue on the original HAT and specs say it can supply 5v/2.5A and I wondered if this was enough as the Pi4 on its own ideally needs 3A.

However the Raspberry Pi Foundation have just released what is in effect a v3 PoE HAT specified as outputting 5v/4A and this I am guessing should be more than adequate to power the console if the v2 is borderline.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Meteo-Pi, Weatherlink.com and PoE?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 04:00:09 AM »
Meteo-Pi is simply a hardware device provides a serial data feed in Davis format in a convenient form factor to the Pi. So MP would not upload any data itself to Internet servers, it would be the software you choose to run on the Pi that would do that. While there are several Linux-compatible programs that could be used, the only one that I'm aware right now of that (I think) is able to upload to wl.com is Meteobridge for Pi.

When the new WFL Ethernet-only  version (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41938.0 ) is released then that wl.com upload functionality (specifically that one, not necessarily others) should be included.

Weatherlink Live (see eg https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/weatherlink-live.htm if you're unfamiliar) is a further alternative device that can upload to wl.com directly and that is compatible with several Pi prorams like CumulusMX, MBfPi, Weewx etc.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline GlynH

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 09:51:03 AM »
Thanks as always for the reply John.

Cumulus...hmmm...I used to use that back in 2009 and really liked it!

Maybe I should take a look at Cumulus MX on the Pi but just to confirm I am able to;

1. Fit the Meteo-Pi to the Davis 6132 Console
2. Using the 6-wire cable power the Davis Console without using the 6625 PSU
3. Configure Cumulus to receive data from Meteo-Pi and feed Weatherlink.com as I do now with the 6555
4. Use Cumulus as a fully-featured local weather station plus feed other weather sites and much more

Shall I assume the PoE HAT should provide enough voltage/current to drive the Pi4, Meteo-Pi & Davis Console?

If so it seems like a no-brainer to me!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 10:03:56 AM »

Cumulus...hmmm...I used to use that back in 2009 and really liked it!
A lot has changed since 2009

www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx
www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »

When the new WFL Ethernet-only  version (see https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41938.0 ) is released then that wl.com upload functionality (specifically that one, not necessarily others) should be included.

This is how I am doing upload to WL now with prototype. Works flawless.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 01:16:43 PM »
I have a pi Zero with 6 way cable logger. Whilst it is convenient to power the console that way, be aware that if you ever need to power the pi down for any reason (change SD card, whatever) then of course you also lose power to your console and you have lost data for that period.
Mark

Offline GlynH

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 01:59:08 PM »
Ah yeah I never thought of that!

Thing is I haven't turned my Pi's off since I installed them. All I do is reboot after updating.

I've got another Pi4 on the way along with the new PoE+ HAT so I might grab me a Meteo-Pi and have a play.

Then again I am always full of great ideas that don't come to fruition so I might not... :lol:

Would be good to revisit an old friend again though in Cumulus.

ISTR I used to send FTP uploads to a local webserver and also send info to Wunderground. Will Cumulus send data to WeatherLink in lieu of the 6555 IP Logger?

-=Glyn=-

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 03:31:18 AM »
Will Cumulus send data to WeatherLink in lieu of the 6555 IP Logger?

Not quite sure exactly which configuration you're thinking about, but:

1. AFAIK, current versions of CumulusMX do not upload to weatherlink.com, but;

2. Meteo-Pi provides that functionality;

3. There's a new Ethernet-only product coming in the near future. This is still called Meteo-Pi for Ethernet, but is no longer a Pi HAT. It's simply a small standalone device that provides features like a WeatherlinkIP, including uploads to wl.com and an Ethernet interface to other software running on whatever device you like. It's also got a more robust way of providing power to the console. Wojtek will obviously know better than me, but I'm guessing that we might see it during July.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline GlynH

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 03:37:27 AM »
That’s exciting news…thanks for that John.

I can only hope the new Ethernet module is PoE and if it is I’m definitely buying one!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 03:52:30 AM »
Sorry, current prototypes are not PoE. Some pictures of the likely production version are here:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41938.msg430788#msg430788
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline kg4ooz

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 08:33:37 AM »
Although the device is not POE it would be very simple to use a POE breakout box and power with with POE. That is my plan when I get a hold of one of the new ethernet loggers.

I am going to try this to power it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087F4QCTR/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A2IAB2RW3LLT8D&psc=1

Offline GlynH

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 09:04:43 AM »
Sorry, current prototypes are not PoE. Some pictures of the likely production version are here:

Interesting read...thanks for the link John.

I was kinda hoping for a device that has the same form-factor as the Davis 6555 consisting of a small plug-in module that is completely hidden behind the console door with just a trailing RJ45 socket that would accept a PoE ethernet cable directly from my switch.

I guess the Meteo-Pi would be the closest to what I am looking for? Does that hide behind the console door and connect to the Pi by the 6-wire cable to power it in addition to taking care of the data transfer?

So just a single cable from Pi to Console if I have understood the operation of the Meteo-Pi correctly?

And if I have is there any limit on length as the console is in my office and the Pi would be almost 3m directly above it in the loft?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2021, 12:54:17 PM »

Interesting read...thanks for the link John.

I was kinda hoping for a device that has the same form-factor as the Davis 6555 consisting of a small plug-in module that is completely hidden behind the console door with just a trailing RJ45 socket that would accept a PoE ethernet cable directly from my switch.

I guess the Meteo-Pi would be the closest to what I am looking for? Does that hide behind the console door and connect to the Pi by the 6-wire cable to power it in addition to taking care of the data transfer?

So just a single cable from Pi to Console if I have understood the operation of the Meteo-Pi correctly?

And if I have is there any limit on length as the console is in my office and the Pi would be almost 3m directly above it in the loft?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Hi,

Ethernet logger has no PoE.
MeteoPi and Ethernet Logger use the same data logger small module which is small enought to hide in console and allow to connect cable.
Power in new design is connected to DC input of console using small power cable. This is around data logger and console.

Console should be connected by 6 wire cable, which provides communication and power.  Voltage level is 0-3.3v. Many documents will say that cable lenght is maximum 10 meters, but in reality could be longer, because console is maximum 19200 Baud rate.

MeteoPi and Ethernet logger, because of this little data logger module are not consuming power from batteries in console.
WiFiLogger and WL IP will drain console batteries in 3 days.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 01:15:19 PM »
.......Does that hide behind the console door and connect to the Pi by the 6-wire cable to power it in addition to taking care of the data transfer?.....

This is my console. Everything else can be located with the Pi.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 01:57:54 PM »

One of the benefits of removing the logger from the console (other than a connector) is that there's no longer any significant heat generation around the logger socket. So inside temp (and T/H) shown by the console should be less prone to over-reading. Plus it's not really practical to put an RJ45 socket within the logger space in the console - it's physically too big; remember that even the WLIP had quite a chunky RJ45 socket on a long pigtail.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 05:40:37 PM »

One of the benefits of removing the logger from the console (other than a connector) is that there's no longer any significant heat generation around the logger socket. So inside temp (and T/H) shown by the console should be less prone to over-reading. Plus it's not really practical to put an RJ45 socket within the logger space in the console - it's physically too big; remember that even the WLIP had quite a chunky RJ45 socket on a long pigtail.

- No extra heat at all.
- Batteries should work for 3 months.
- RJ12 6 wire cable is common all over the world, so length can be adjusted by user.
- One power adapter in electric socket. One cable to the console.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 07:41:22 PM »
Will Cumulus send data to WeatherLink in lieu of the 6555 IP Logger?

No, there is no Davis sanctioned way of doing that - that I am aware of anyway.
Mark