Author Topic: Tornado Today  (Read 1649 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Tornado Today
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:52:18 AM »
A tornado passed over today. You can see the gap in data. Wind was likely 70 MPH. Trees down across neighborhood. Power is out in many areas. Large traffic light poles (steel) torn down on US 17. Unfortunately my weather station missed the wind as power went in and out.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Tornado Today
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 12:15:44 PM »
WOW! glad you are safe.
There are PWS not dependent on an external power source. Some will survive only a few minutes others like Davis stations will run for months on just battery power and record the full event.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »
what kind of station?
Is there a way to access hi/lo data to see what was missed?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 02:46:32 PM »
I checked both my Acurite Atlas and 5n1. Neither of them seemed to pick up the wind. I'm wondering if the signal was too weak due to the driving rain. You could not see anything really but rain when I peaked out. A station on the bridge just a couple of miles away hit 55 MPH.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
I checked both my Acurite Atlas and 5n1. Neither of them seemed to pick up the wind. I'm wondering if the signal was too weak due to the driving rain. You could not see anything really but rain when I peaked out. A station on the bridge just a couple of miles away hit 55 MPH.
I get that. I have seen my VP2 lag behind on rain during a heavy downpour.
Just sucks that you get a station for just these situations and you get no data.
 :-(

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 03:19:23 PM »
Looks like several T's in your area.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
Looks like several T's in your area.

It must have jumped over some areas then, because it was the same tornado. It started east of Whiteville, and moved NE all the way past Washington NC.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 04:33:07 PM »
Unfortunately my weather station missed the wind as power went in and out.
That is sooooo unacceptable, exactly when you need/want it the most. I swear, if it were mine, it'd go straight into the trash.

Glad you're safe as well.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 06:22:06 PM »
I'm not sure what happened, all I know is the stations missed the wind. I know the wind had to be higher than 34 MPH. I'm not even sure all the rain got counted.
I suppose the trees could have blocked a lot of it depending on the direction at the time.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
I'm not sure what happened
Have you considered a UPS? Quite a few of us have one, however mine is just to keep my data flowing online, nothing to do with the VP2.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 09:02:51 AM »
The display had batteries that should have held records. I will get a UPS for sure though after this. If the internet is down, it won't help that.
This is the report by the NWS. The tornado didn't come into the city, but there were trees snapped off  just a mile from me, but it wasn't a clear path of damage, so the tornado must have lifted as it passed over. I still think 70 MPH winds ripped through. There were leaves stuck to vinyl siding on houses like glue.
https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202004140226-KMHX-NOUS42-PNSMHX

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 05:06:23 PM »
I will get a UPS for sure though after this. If the internet is down, it won't help that.
Don't know how you're hooked up, but that's exactly why I got my UPS...to keep me online, not to power my VP2 or console. I have cable and it remains "active" (at least so far) during power outages so the UPS is for the modem and router.

Offline chatt_IT_sys

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 04:37:48 AM »
A tornado passed over today. You can see the gap in data. Wind was likely 70 MPH. Trees down across neighborhood. Power is out in many areas. Large traffic light poles (steel) torn down on US 17. Unfortunately my weather station missed the wind as power went in and out.

I'm in Chattanooga, TN. We got absolutely hammered. My family is so very lucky. We were spared despite so much destruction around us. Within 4 houses away is something like $1000 worth of damage. 8 houses over is probably $4000 worth of damage. Just 1/4 mile away is 100% total catastrophic damage including loss of life of a 4 year old. Very sad. Literally 1400 feet away from us. We got mud and leaves on the house; not a shingle missing. Life isn't fair sometimes.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 06:11:27 AM »
Wow, that's an eye opener.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 12:47:36 PM »

I'm in Chattanooga, TN. We got absolutely hammered. My family is so very lucky. We were spared despite so much destruction around us. Within 4 houses away is something like $1000 worth of damage. 8 houses over is probably $4000 worth of damage. Just 1/4 mile away is 100% total catastrophic damage including loss of life of a 4 year old. Very sad. Literally 1400 feet away from us. We got mud and leaves on the house; not a shingle missing. Life isn't fair sometimes.

Welcome, and I'm glad you are OK, and hope your neighbors recover quickly. Strange days are here.

Offline pekkie

• Meteobrianza
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
look at the size of the tornado

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0hJb0jcc1M[/youtube]

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 06:30:32 AM »
I was looking at that velocity image last night. Man that was scary looking.