Author Topic: WANTED... Weather Instrument Shelter.  (Read 5076 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
WANTED... Weather Instrument Shelter.
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:52 PM »
I'm in search of an instrument shelter like this, or even one that stands on four legs. The ideal discovery would be to find one in or near Ohio where I could purchase and pick up in person. Any suggestions as to where I can purchase one of these? Thanks! [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: WANTED... Weather Instrument Shelter.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:20 AM »
Given the insane prices of these glorified bird houses and your location, I'm wondering if there are any Amish craftsmen in your area who could punch out a small batch of Stevensen screens at a decent price for either a group purchase or resale?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:20:31 AM »
Given the insane prices of these glorified bird houses and your location, I'm wondering if there are any Amish craftsmen in your area who could punch out a small batch of Stevensen screens at a decent price for either a group purchase or resale?????

That's a good question and an idea I hadn't even thought of. The Amish are literally as close as a few miles from here. I'll check into that option. Would probably need a set of measurements to go along with the idea. Thanks!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
I bought the NovaLynx thermometer shelter and I have been pleased with it. They are currently showing $210.00 (USD) for it. It will be three years old this coming April and it is still in good shape with no peeling or delamination.

I had terrible problems with another shelter from Ben M~~~~. Although it was half the price of the NovaLynx, it literally fell apart in a few months. It was made in China using scrap lumber and some kind of glue that obviously would not hold up to the weather. I'll give B-M credit, since they gave me a full refund for it.

For the NovaLynx shelter, do mount it in an area that is mostly in the shade to the North. Mine has a lot of solar exposure and it ranges several degrees higher than my Davis DFARS stations. I really didn't have much choice for the location, but I wish that I had sited it better. NovaLynx's instructions did state this about the location.

Here is a plot showing my temperature sensor, including the "Garage" temperature which is a Davis temp probe inside of the NovaLynx shelter. The turquoise plot "Gar-shelter" is the probe. It tracks well until the sun shines on it. Again, this is my own fault, not the shelter since I didn't follow the recommendations.

Here is the solar (and UV) plots so you can see the correlation. Depending on whether we get sun today, it may or may not show the difference.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
Greg

If you want to build one I have the complete plans and specs for the instrument shelter called the Stevenson Screen that is used by the National Weather Service. I can email them to you

Bobby

I'm in search of an instrument shelter like this, or even one that stands on four legs. The ideal discovery would be to find one in or near Ohio where I could purchase and pick up in person. Any suggestions as to where I can purchase one of these? Thanks! [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »
Greg

If you want to build one I have the complete plans and specs for the instrument shelter called the Stevenson Screen that is used by the National Weather Service. I can email them to you

Bobby

Any chance you could make it public so anyone that's wants one could get your plans?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
Daman

Is there a place on this form where I can place files ?
I have complete plans and specs for the Stevenson Screen, The foundation for the screen
and specs and part diagrams for the Townsend Thermometer support that you mount the min/max thermometers inside the Stevenson Screen

Bobby

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
NovaLynx carries it but I would go for the full-size cotton region shelter. The small unit needs to placed next to a building which isn't correct placement because buildings are a heat source.
Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
NovaLynx also has the "Large Instrument Shelter".

hmmm... looks suspiciously like ValentineWeather's avatar....  :lol:

Greg H.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:37:29 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 02:57:09 PM »
Bobby, if you aren't restricted by copyright or such, there are a growing number of us who'd like to see those plans to make our summer more fun with builing a shelter.  I was going to use some louvered door panels and try to cobble something up but a plan might be more rewarding and less frustrating.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »
I was informed I could share them but not offer them for sale or profit

Bobby

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
NovaLynx also has the "Large Instrument Shelter".

hmmm... looks suspiciously like ValentineWeather's avatar....  :lol:

Greg H.

Just a little... :lol:

I've had one before and through experience they need maintenance or the weather will eventually take the wood shelters down, in as little as 5 years the louvers are warping.  I really recommend the new plastic shelters Met-1 types. I would look for a dealer in the States.

https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/accessories/screens
Randy

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 03:39:08 PM »
I had 3 templates cut from aluminum to cut the slots for the slats that
will go in the Hazen Thermometer Shelter [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:52:27 PM by carolina new be »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
Bobby, thanks for sharing the files. An excellent find.  Now I'm off to print them out to study to see if it is beyond my woodworking skills.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 04:06:01 PM »
the files show up in red but they will print out in black

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
The metal things you just posted a picture of must be some sort of router guide to allow the cutting of the side supports for the slats, is that right?

If a guy were to do a lot of them that would sure help.  For us individual fabricators, while it would ensure perfect placement, you only need to do the slat holder once for the project, is that right?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
Dale

Any company that makes window shutters can cut the slats for you .
Just let them know the type of slat required is called a "bullhead" slat rounded on each edge

Bobby, thanks for sharing the files. An excellent find.  Now I'm off to print them out to study to see if it is beyond my woodworking skills.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 04:11:28 PM »
OK, I'm beginning to get the picture.  Thanks.  And thank you for the posts. Nice share.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »
The metal things are a router guide for the slats for the Hazen Thermometer Shelter that I drew up in autocad
I will need to do another drawing for the Stevenson Screen Slats. The material is 1/4 inch thick aluminum but I will probably use steel the next time I get a pattern done as it does not gouge as bad as aluminum when you hit it with the router bit

By the way those 3 parts were cut with a water jet cutter

Bobby

The metal things you just posted a picture of must be some sort of router guide to allow the cutting of the side supports for the slats, is that right?

If a guy were to do a lot of them that would sure help.  For us individual fabricators, while it would ensure perfect placement, you only need to do the slat holder once for the project, is that right?

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »
I may half to sand down the edges of the slat just a tad so if the wood swells a bit it wont split open the cavity where the slat fits into the frame  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 04:37:22 PM »
Some people have all the toys to play with....

But I'm just happy for and a wee bit jealous of you. 
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
By the way a long time ago before the Stevenson Screen and before the Hazen Thermometer Shelter the National Weather Bureau had there thermometer shelter mounted in a office window . Soooo when they needed a shelter to be placed on the ground the simulated the window set up
It was called a Kingston Stand
 LOL [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline carolina new be

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 11:24:01 PM »
glad I could help