Author Topic: no signal from wfl  (Read 1431 times)

Offline sadivnik

• Professional botanist/haphazard gardener
    • Liebermann: die VEB (my DDR joke)
no signal from wfl
« on: September 05, 2023, 04:05:08 PM »
Hi -

My wfl, bought from Ryan W in May 2023, suddenly stopped working - I can't get wx info or setup info at all (no response), but my router says it's attached (see screenshot). The light on it stays lit green, no blinks.

I tried taking the batteries out of the davis vp2 wall console per some obliquely related error advice here, then unplugged then plugged back in the wfl, then (even though the green led has been lit not blinking) pressing reset button then putting batteries back in, still no signal.

I haven't been able to figure out any programs to use the weatherstation data so wfl's 'web page' is my main way to read the current info (or look at the wall console when near that).

Can anyone offer help?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 04:08:38 PM by sadivnik »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: no signal from wfl
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 07:29:20 PM »
Can you get to the loggers' webpage? Sounded like you could. If you can get to the WifiLogger webpage via it's ip then you can set up for it to send to WeatherLink.com that way you can see the data in the WeatherLink app on your phone or tablet. You can also install programs like Weather Display or Cumulus or the old WeatherLink program on a local computer and set the IP in the program instead of a comport.

Offline sadivnik

came back on its own - with insane data Re: no signal from wfl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 10:01:23 PM »
Answer to above, no no signal to wfl setup or wx IPs.

However, after some time it started to 'come in' again independent of any action on my end (I tried resetting an hour or so earlier with no result).

So I exported the data (best I could with no wfl documentation explaining what settings mean) to see if anything was lost or being recorded.

There's some corrupted data for the interim (see picture), as if wfl were abducted by space aliens or on a drug trip, reporting completely impossible numbers and for sensors not attached. Like the -3000f temperature, or the 70m of rain, etc. Perhaps it imagined a trip to Venus?

(wfl lost contact at 14:27 to be exact).

I have a solar sensor but none of the others that show up on the corrupted data - see also weird dates, crazy readings, etc.

There wasn't any electrical events (lightning, surge, etc.) that would have triggered this.

At the moment it seems to be still coming in. I looked through the csv exports I made with wfl since I started it in June and found no other such anomalies, with 'data' for nonexistent sensors at least.

Any idea?

Further to the above reply, I don't use I-phones etc., just want to record and see my conditions locally - ideally something better than the default wfl page but I gave up for now on trying to figure out the vastly under-documented and confusing cumulus and it's equally fatiguing website!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 10:05:17 PM by sadivnik »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 10:47:52 PM »
Is there any clue in the logging from the Setup > Extra links > Debug?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 08:32:19 AM »
Further to the above reply, I don't use I-phones etc., just want to record and see my conditions locally - ideally something better than the default wfl page but I gave up for now on trying to figure out the vastly under-documented and confusing cumulus and it's equally fatiguing website!

Sorry but I should have been more clear, I was referring to Cumulus V1 which you install on your home computer. You could also download from Davis for free WeatherLink 6.0.5 and install it on your home PC as well.

You said you don't you use iPhones... did you mean a smartphone? If that is the case then setting up a weather program on a local computer that the WifiLogger can send to is the answer. Right now my WifiLogger sends data to one of my home computers running free weather software for local display. It also sends to WeatherLink.com where I can view from an app installed on my Android phone and tablet. Let us know how you want to set it up so everyone here can help.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 08:34:01 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline sadivnik

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 11:17:28 PM »
Hi again & thanks for advice.

On "Mr. My"'s (?) question - gee, it took me a while to find that link; it seems to result in a continuous scroll:
DavisGetLOOP - data no changed
DavisGetLPS2 - data no changed
DavisGetHiLows - data no changed
DavisGetLOOP - data changed
DavisGetLPS2 - data changed
DavisGetHiLows - data no changed
DavisGetLOOP ...

also, under 'wifi debug' I get:

Uptime: 112503
Total disconection counter: 2

Total DNS error count: 0
Total DNS error total count: 0

1693971252 reason: 8 WIFI_REASON_ASSOC_LEAVE = 8
1694012049 reason: 8 WIFI_REASON_ASSOC_LEAVE = 8

Which I don't think I understand - anybody know if it means anything?

On Mr. Bock's reply, I use 'i-phone' as generic 'smart' (sic; it seems to turn many people to idiots!) mobile phone, like 'xerox', 'jello', and similar terms!

But yes, I want to use something on my local komputer, w7 (for as long as I can resist) OS (as mentioned in earliest post). All I really want to do is be able to record data & get a general view of my wx conditions in my home orchard/garden, use it like a scientific instrument; nothing fancy (and my phone - I just want to make calls - I have enough internet & komputer time already to want to carry it around with me too!).

Not only that but I'm afraid I must be getting old -- 20 years ago I (a botanist/geographer not a programmer) could write decent html & compile/build programs (with instructions) & even do a little linux/unix, but now I can't seem to figure out quite how to install cumulus...

Partly because the documentation is several versions behind the program apparently & other oddities, partly because I haven't taken more than an hour or so trying to figure it out (many contradictions right away threw me off).

So when I can spend more time trying to decipher it, list the questions & stopping blocks, & figure out what I need to ask I'll do so but figured I'd better at least get a better handle & document the questions before wasting anyone's time.

I'd imagined it'd've been easier, but perhaps what I really imagined was that I was younger!

//robert

anything