Author Topic: MIDLAND 300/301 NO MORE WEATHER EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS ON IT INCLUDING AM FM  (Read 4646 times)

Offline darticus

What the heck! Radio that I depend on for my safety stopped do the emergency weather part. All other aspects of the radio works. Why would weather be gone. Can't recieve a weather station when I look through the 7 available channels. Will it work in an emargency??? They want 7.50 + 45.00 to fix a radio which cost 48.00 on amazon.com. Anyway to check this? Ron

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
It could be just a lose wire internally.

Rip it apart and have a look.

Offline darticus

Took it apart but looks fine. Don't get it radio am fm works. Really strange! Ron

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster

That is odd... I always poke around on the circuit boards with the eraser end of a pencil to see if there is a weak solder joint or a crack in the trace.

That is odd but maybe they have two or more tuners in there.

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
Are all the weather settings correct? Can you get weather on another radio? Try taking batteries out and unplugging it for 10 minutes then try again.

Offline darticus

My other radio works so the station are there. I will unplug for a while than if nothing I will take apart for a closer look again. Thanks Ron

Offline darticus

Opened it up and everything looked fine. No loose wires. I see a crystal in it like an old CB set. Bet it went south and it controls the weather section! Would like to put a new crystal in but I guess its just gonna be a nice AM FM radio now. Ron

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster

Do you have an oscilloscope?

It would be interesting to see if it did indeed die.

Offline darticus

No I don't. Any other way to check a crystal? Ron

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster

I am not an EE guy but I do not know of another way other than to replace it. That would be a shot in the dark though. I do not think failing crystals happen very often. I could be wrong.

Offline darticus

Re: MIDLAND 300/301 NO MORE WEATHER EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS ON IT INCLUDING AM FM
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
Its OK its a nice radio now. Maybe it will give me the weather test this week and will work in emergencies. I'll listen to see if the local test comes through. Ron

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
Had the same problem.  I wrote extensively about it on this forum.  Search and see all my comments.  You can't fix it.  It is a bad batch of chips or something that Midland used. :sad: You are not alone.

Offline darticus

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 02:14:56 PM »
Had the same problem.  I wrote extensively about it on this forum.  Search and see all my comments.  You can't fix it.  It is a bad batch of chips or something that Midland used. :sad: You are not alone.
Glad to know I'm not alone. We should post a post In regards to this and see if there is a large enough group to put some pressure on Midland to allow us a class action suit or at least a replacement. I'm gonna start the post. Please join the post. Thanks Ron

anything