Author Topic: Any way of getting 2812 to auto connect to HeavyWeather  (Read 21013 times)

Offline Sleepy81

Any way of getting 2812 to auto connect to HeavyWeather
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:29:31 PM »
Hi!

I have a 2812-IT wx station, and use heavy weather pro 2800 v1.5

I reed in the manual that if the PC reboots then you need to resync the wx station. I reboot my server every night, so for me that is a problem...

Is there any way of getting Heavy Weather to connect to the wx station again after a reboot?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Any way of getting 2812 to auto connect to HeavyWeather
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
I run a ws2810 and the manual states the same thing for this, however, the station resyncs automatically to the p.c. after a reboot. The only time I have to manually do a resync is if/when I change the batteries in the console/display. Might want to see if your ws2812 does the same.

Welcome to the forum!

Offline Sleepy81

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 05:30:56 AM »
Thanks!

Does yours connect to Heavy Weather "instantly" (within a few sec. like after a resync) or do you have to wait a while?

I have tried to wait about 2-3 min, but no luck... Maybe I have to wait longer?...

Also, when your PC reboots, does the wx station console still dislpay "PC" after the time "window"? Mine does not. When the connection is "live" my console displays "PC" after the time window, but after a PC reboot that disappares. It comes back again after I resync to the computer.

Since I run a lot of other things on my server, the reboot process is fairly lengthy, maybe up to 3-5 min between Windows 7 shut down, until heavy weather starts again after the reboot. Maybe thats the reason it wont reconnect?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:42 AM »
I have my weather p.c. setup so Heavyweather and the web uploader program (WuHu) is in the auto start section so if the p.c. reboots then everything comes back up on it's own. I remember that the station console needed to be resync'd manually with the original HeavyWeather software version but with the latest (v.1.3 for the 2810) it now sync's on it's own. After a reboot and everything settles down I notice the sync is good. The "PC" indicator on the console is only there when the connection is made initially and may go away some time after the HeavyWeather program is minimized on the P.C. but the connection is still there. That's the way it works here anyway. Not sure with the differences with your 2812 and v.1.5 software though. Maybe send LaCrosse support an email?

Offline Sleepy81

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »
I found out that is does reconnect automaticly most of the time, but I have to wait 15-20 min before it will...

So it kind of works...

Thanks for the help!

Offline jelyben

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:03:10 PM »
Hi!

I have a 2812-IT wx station, and use heavy weather pro 2800 v1.5

I reed in the manual that if the PC reboots then you need to resync the wx station. I reboot my server every night, so for me that is a problem...

Is there any way of getting Heavy Weather to connect to the wx station again after a reboot?
did you get yours to work, I cant get mine to?  Thanks

Offline questmore

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »
I lose the data portion to the p/c after a week or so even though the current data shows on my monitor. If I uninstall hw and reinstall, after an hour or so everything repairs itself including the missing data. Of course I re sync after reinstalling the software.
BobH

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »
Interesting. After that 'week or so' when you lose your data can you just do a resync to recover?  Are you running version 1.53?  Try a different USB port on the p.c.?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:15:53 PM by DanS »

Offline bkeahl

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but many seem to have this issue and I think I have a solution.  In my case it is the 2811. Either way, it appears the Heavy Weather service Communications Service has issues.  I alter the service so it automatically restarts if it should fail for some reason.  You do this by opening "Services" on your Windows computer (it is in different places depending upon which version of the OS you are running).  On Windows 7 it is usually accessed by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Locate WV5Communication  (normally near the bottom of the alphabetical list).  Double-click to open the settings for it and click the "Recovery" tab.  Set the recovery for First, Second, and Subsequent failures to "Restart". Set it to restart the service after 1 minute(s) as well (same window). 

This seemed to solve the problem for me.  I can now reboot and it'll reconnect automagically like it should.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but many seem to have this issue and I think I have a solution.  In my case it is the 2811. Either way, it appears the Heavy Weather service Communications Service has issues.  I alter the service so it automatically restarts if it should fail for some reason.  You do this by opening "Services" on your Windows computer (it is in different places depending upon which version of the OS you are running).  On Windows 7 it is usually accessed by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Locate WV5Communication  (normally near the bottom of the alphabetical list).  Double-click to open the settings for it and click the "Recovery" tab.  Set the recovery for First, Second, and Subsequent failures to "Restart". Set it to restart the service after 1 minute(s) as well (same window).  

This seemed to solve the problem for me.  I can now reboot and it'll reconnect automagically like it should.

Thanks for the tip! I went and checked my settings on the wx pc and they were set at default "take no action" and I set them to "Restart" as you pointed out. As it was, it would reconnect automatically if the pc was just rebooted but if it were down for any length of time (such as maintenance, power outage past UPS support, etc.) then a reconnect/resync had to be performed manually.
I'll wait until next scheduled downtime for cleaning to try this out. Appreciate you sharing your find with us!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:45:30 PM by DanS »

Offline JoesHouse

• Joe's House at the Beach
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
Applied it today.
Lacrosse WS2813 - Heavy Weather Pro  WUHU :KFLFERNA7