Author Topic: HeavyWeather Pro WS2800 last week, last month wrong  (Read 4484 times)

Offline pierce

HeavyWeather Pro WS2800 last week, last month wrong
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:24 PM »
my heavy weather pro ws2800 for my ws2812, the last hour and last 24 hours values are correct, as is the total, but the last week and last month seem to lag according to some weird pattern.

I've had about 5" of rain in the last week.   currently, my last hour reads 0.14", last 24 hours is 1.26", those are both correct.     last week reads 0.51" and last month reads 0.05" which is what it was *before* this week.  My Total shows 6.77" which is accurate, and includes this weeks rains, and indeed everything since I reset it in July.   This Total was 1.40" before this last 7 day period (yeah, we're suffering a major drought on the west coast).

is there any means to this madness?

Offline pierce

Re: HeavyWeather Pro WS2800 last week, last month wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
so last night, the last hour, last 24 hours, last week, last month, and total read...   

0.14; 1.26; 0.51; 0.05; 6.77

now, about 14 hours later, its reading...

0.00; 0.90; 5.32; 0.05; 7.25

so where did that 5" of this last week hide ??   and why is last month still more like 'month before the last' ??

Offline fredsie

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
Hi Pierce

I think your confusion stems from the fact that the various totals don't all work in the same way.

"1 hour" and "24 hours"  measure back from "now", either 1 hour or 1 day, and so potentially change minute by minute.

"Weekly", on the other hand, is NOT the week working back from "now". Instead, a specific week starting at midnight is used. This is determined by when you first start the station (or factory reset it). So if you powered it up today (Monday), the "weekly" count would start at midnight tomorrow night, and so the station would always show a Wednesday to Tuesday (inclusive) week.

"Monthly" similarly works on a fixed period, this time, the CALENDAR month. So "last month" would currently be showing the total rainfall recorded for January 2014. Later this week when we move into March, this will switch to the total for February 2014. So for a given month, the amount you see will never change. Clearly, unless you happen to start up on the first of a month, the first month's figure will be a partial one.

"Total" is different again. It shows all accumulated rainfall since its last manual reset, so will just keep rising until you reset it.

Good luck!

Fred

Offline pierce

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:17 PM »
that seems rather schizoid, no?

Offline fredsie

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
Well if I were to have a guess at why it's like that, I'd say that the shorter term measures (hour and day) are continuously updated since the interest in them is also likely to be short term, say to see how a particular storm deposited its rain. It's a "What's going on just now?" kind of measure.

The weekly and monthly figures are by contrast more useful to build up a permanent record of rainfall over a longer period. So typically you'll see "total February rainfall" quoted for a location. In contrast, the rainfall from say 3:37 to 4:37 on a day is only of passing interest.

anything