Author Topic: 2810 (2) New Problem ?  (Read 10190 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: 2810 (2) New Problem ?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
..I hear ya.  I've actually turned it over the the Lord.  Apparently there are a few 2810's out there that do work.  My brother-in-law in Savannah, GA may have one and our friend Dan in Thailand may be another.  You really can't do anything about the anemometer leakage problem other than pray.  Some have tried to take it apart and do some home seal work.  I'm not that brave.  I'm now hearing that some folks have sent the wind sensor back to Lacrosse.  That's fine but who paid for the postage there and back?

My 2nd 2810 (1st one was returned to Costco) now has been up and running 13 days and it's taken some major hits.  2 good rain events and yesterdays 10" of snow.  It's by no means as accurate or reliable as my Rainwise or Davis but it's fun (?).  Yeah...I must be a weather geek.

Thanks

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »
....well I wanted to give you all an update (yeah it's me again).  Yesterday I thought my 2810 (2) had met its match.  The anny was down for the count and not coming back after repeated resets, factory resets, etc.  While on life support I decided to go back to ground zero and bring all the sensors back in the house and basically start over.  Removed all batteries, waited 10-15 minutes and tried again.  This time everything came back on line including the anny.  I then proceeded to move all the sensors back to where they were.  All was fine, and then the anny started to feel ill.  After about an hour the anny shut down.  After giving it some thought I decided to move the thermo sensor closer to the anny.  The anny is at one end of my yard up about 10-11' above the ground (mast/fence).  As soon as I positioned the thermo within about 10-15' of the anny (left rain gauge on deck railing) the whole system came back.  I like where the anny is located and do have the flexibility of moving the thermo around.  So this is starting to sound more like a close in reception problem.  It's now been 24 hours (16 days from original install) and the icons are as strong as I've ever seen them.  No drop outs. :grin:

Still not 100% sure the anny doesn't have the infamous water leak, but as is well.  I'll keep an eye on it.  As soon as we get a 'mild' above 40f weekend, I'll tweak/position the weather shelter I have the thermo resting in.  I did notice the rain gauge is off, but after what I've been through that problem can wait for another day.  Did like what DanS did with his rain gauge mod.  Just need to figure out if that's something I can do.

FYI....if any of you are thinking about returning your 2810 to Lacrosse for repair,…don’t. I called last night about my anny problem and they told me they are out of parts and not to send it to them (I pay) until the end of Feb.  Parts are due early March.  Yikes….mine will go back to Costco before I get in that line.

That’s all for now.  Hope your WS-2810 is well.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:12 AM »
...well today is my one month anniversary with the 2810 (2).  The anny is still clicking and the baro graph seems to make more sense now.  Still waiting on some real rain to see if the mod I did on the rain gauge actually works.  Maybe Monday...?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Happy to hear of your success!  =D> I've been watching my baro graph as well and have seen what you were explaining earlier. This isn't a malfunction, just that the actual barometric pressure climbs sharply enough to show previous bar readings drop down off the scale. The opposite happens when the pressure takes a dive, the previous readings max out.
Good luck with the upcoming rain tests.

Edit: Thinking more about your rain gauge mod and running some numbers around I believe your new mod. opening should be just about 3.185" diameter to get you real close. ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 12:01:36 AM by DanS »

Offline Miami Sky

• Meteorologist, Stormy Knights International
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »
Just tossing my two cents in...

I think DanS may be on to something.  I noticed two columns worthbars disappearing when a low pressure center at 1000mb was coming through here on February 12.  I've been assuming the unit uses some sort of auto-scaling but hoping it's not using a fixed-minimum at 1000mb (~29.53"). 

Has anyone noticed bars with pressures lower than that?  (This would be good to know with hurricane season a few months away)!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »
Yes, it is an auto-scaling function as you say. I've been seeing it happen here occasionally when the barometric rises quickly enough. Nothing wrong with the console. It's a condition where the pressure rises fast and high enough to still be displayed along with the previous low recordings before they scroll off the screen. The opposite happens with a sudden dive in pressure, full height bars displayed.

Dan

anything