Author Topic: Anti-matter in lightning  (Read 10924 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Anti-matter in lightning
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
   While I was reading up on a thread on the lighting board about radiation being produced by lightning strikes, I came across another interesting paper.  
   Using the Fermi Gamma Ray Space Telescope, scientists reported finding "gamma ray emissions of a particular energy that could only be produced by decay of energetic positrons, the antimatter equivalent to electrons".
    The article can be found at:
           www.ethiopianreview.com/28851

Lightning just seems to get more and more interesting, mysterious, and awe inspirering every day!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Anti-matter in lightning
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »
I'll bet Spock or Scottie could tell us all about it.    :mrgreen:

Interesting article.  Like I always say, there is a lot going on in this world that we still have no idea about.  The day we can predict to the second when and where lightning will strike will be the day I might start fully accepting some other predictions floating about out there.  ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
I'll bet Spock or Scottie could tell us all about it.    :mrgreen:
Interesting article.  Like I always say, there is a lot going on in this world that we still have no idea about.  The day we can predict to the second when and where lightning will strike will be the day I might start fully accepting some other predictions floating about out there.  ;)
Mark,
   You are 100% correct. Another one I am waiting for is in astronomy.  Astronomers and astrophysicists don't know what 90% of the universe is made of.  It is dark matter.  We only know it exists by it's gravitational signature on other objects, like stars.  They may be getting close. I did see a small item on a website that some progress has been made recently.  But I have heard that almost every year since I started my amateur astronomy career.  Hmmmmm :-k :-k

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »
Reminds me of this scientific theory floating about the net for several years now.

:lol:

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/humour_darksuckers.html
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 01:26:01 AM »
Reminds me of this scientific theory floating about the net for several years now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> :lol: :lol: =D>
   I would put a couple hundred of the "lol" smileys but you get my drift. I posted yesterday somewhere that this forum gives me at least one good laugh a day.
 It has not let me down today.  Thanks.  Love ending the day with a good laugh.    :lol:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:02:59 AM »

That's great! Next time I'm down at the electronics part shop I'll ask them for an infrared dark sucking diode and see what they say.  :?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:21:22 AM »
Astronomers and astrophysicists don't know what 90% of the universe is made of.

99.99999%

When it comes to deep space and quantum physics, I don't believe that scientists really 'know' much of anything.  They think they know.  They believe they know.  They swear they know.  They convince each other they know.

But in reality, it's all guesswork and conjecture based on observation of things no one really understands.

They call them the "Laws of Physics" and state they don't change, but does anyone really know how gravity behaves on the other side of the universe?  Do we even know there the other side of the universe exists?  Doesn't the term 'universe' imply there are no sides, no beginning, no end?

I recently saw an old episode of Cosmos and noticed a statement Sagan made.  One that I had always considered, but had never heard anyone else say.  Paraphrased -- Everything that we know, our entire universe, may be nothing more than an atom in some type of matter in a larger universe.  Conversely, each atom in any form of matter we know may be an entire universe in some smaller existance.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 05:58:38 PM »
Astronomers and astrophysicists don't know what 90% of the universe is made of.
99.99999%
When it comes to deep space and quantum physics, I don't believe that scientists really 'know' much of anything.  They think they know.  They believe they know.  They swear they know.  They convince each other they know.
But in reality, it's all guesswork and conjecture based on observation of things no one really understands.
They call them the "Laws of Physics" and state they don't change, but does anyone really know how gravity behaves on the other side of the universe?  Do we even know there the other side of the universe exists?  Doesn't the term 'universe' imply there are no sides, no beginning, no end?
I recently saw an old episode of Cosmos and noticed a statement Sagan made.  One that I had always considered, but had never heard anyone else say.  Paraphrased -- Everything that we know, our entire universe, may be nothing more than an atom in some type of matter in a larger universe.  Conversely, each atom in any form of matter we know may be an entire universe in some smaller existance.
   Yes, I agree!!  It really is amazing how much we really don't know.  "Cosmos" used to be my favorite TV show back in the day.  Now when I look back on it and watch them again, I think it was the music I like more than anything else. #-o

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 06:12:18 PM »
Now when I look back on it and watch them again, I think it was the music I like more than anything else. #-o

Well, if you're in the right frame of mind.......   :roll:

Pink Floyd and Tubular Bells works, too.   ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:13:53 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
.... "Cosmos" used to be my favorite TV show back in the day.  Now when I look back on it and watch them again, I think it was the music I like more than anything else. #-o

That show was the reason I put a UHF yagi antenna in the second floor bedroom and plugged the wire into the TV once a week down stairs trying to pickup the local PBS station.  Still so fuzzy I could barely pick out the stars from the snow.  Finally after getting tired of stepping over the wire I talked mom and dad into letting me put it on the chimney with a rotor and preamp.  (Dad had taken an interest in some of the other programming by then which helped.   ;) )  Still on the fuzzy side due to being in a valley but much better then when it was balanced on two chairs in the upstairs.  :lol:
Mark 

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 12:13:31 AM »
Now when I look back on it and watch them again, I think it was the music I like more than anything else. #-o
Well, if you're in the right frame of mind.......   :roll:
Pink Floyd and Tubular Bells works, too.   ;)
   I am always in the right frame of mind for The Floyd!!  I wish I could have gotten the BBC (TV) when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon.  Pink Floyd played live, in the studio, during the landing and the EVA's.  Now that must have been awesome! :shock: :shock: :lol: =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/  It was right after Syd
Barrett left the group and David Gilmore took his place for good.  \:D/ \:D/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:15:15 AM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 05:59:23 AM »
Y'all DO know that the Science Channel runs Cosmos periodically, right?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »

You can buy it at Amazon.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:55 PM »

Yeah, but it is sort of depressing to watch it now with Carl gone and the science getting dated.  Here's something that is still true yet today:

Carl Sagon - Pale Blue Dot

A reminder of what little p-ants we are in the whole scheme of time, world and universe around us.  :-k

Mark 

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:54 AM »
  The "Pale Blue Dot".  That's almost like a daily prayer all the conflicting country leaders should be saying.