Author Topic: A Wet Week In Georgia  (Read 3993 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
A Wet Week In Georgia
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
This is day 5 (of 40 days & 40 nights rain).  People are talking about getting their boats out.  Some people probably will get flooded out.  At 7 AM today I'd reported 4.63" in 5 days.  Today (7AM - 7:45PM) another .60" in the Standard Rain Gauge.  Our September average rain is 3.71". 
The storm blocked out satellite TV.  I've had my 'All Hazards Radio' on all day. 
I observed a thunderstorm with .45" rain in 30 minutes and submitted an Intense Precipitation report to CoCoRaHS/NWS.  You folks upstream, beware of the rainmaker.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline FrankP999

Re: A Wet Week In Georgia
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »
I am in Macon. My rain for September is 9.0 inches - that includes 6.43 inches on the 17'th. Never seen that much in a single day.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:15:43 PM »
Just over 2 inches here in East Tennessee for the past five days.  However, the ground is getting saturated and with some wind, trees are already falling across roads here.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
    You are going to have to change the name of that song to "A rainy Week in Georgia"
instead of "A Rainy Night Night in Georgia".  Hopefully you will not have to change it to a rainy month!! :grin: ;)

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:38:01 AM »
Here are some comments by Georgia observers on the CoCoRaHS site this (Monday) morning:
Tucker 1.3 ENE   Okay, the drought's over! You folks who were praying for rain can quit now.

Avondale Estates 1.0 NE   There are numerous school closings and delays due to the flash flood warnings and some major highways have flooded areas. Even a mudslide on one highway! I don't know when this has ever happened in the 30 years I've lived here. During the night, I heard three storms with heavy rain. One storm sounded like it was right over our house.

East Point 6.3 WNW   Basement is flooded this morning after gettting 4.12" since midnight, in addition to 2.59" more from yetserday. Power was out for several hours as well. High Rain Rate was an amazing 8.35"/hr at 4:24am. Gotta go try and get water out of ths house! 72.2

Buford 4.6 ESE   An almost constant rumble of thunder preceded and accompanied the early morning rain. From approximatley 4:00AM until 5:30Am I do not think there was a period longer than a few seconds without thunder, some of the lightning within feet or yards of my location. Oh yea, it rained almost 3 inches as well....

Berner 0.4 ENE   Ocmulgee River just beginning to come over its banks.

Lexington 0.1 WNW   7:20PM thunderstorm with heavy rain, intense precip report submitted. Cloudy & 69º @ 7 AM. 24 hour max/min 78º/69º.

Dacula 2.1 NNW   And its still raining. 10.20 inches since last Monday.

Lawrenceville 4.0 NW   TORRENTIAl rain. Massive flooding in my street. My house was spared, but several neighors had flood waters in their home. At one point, the water in the street directly in from of my home was up to my knees....and much deeper just a short way further down the street. Still raining....Ark is under construction.

That is just a sampling of comments.  More info on the www.cocorahs.org site.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
2 Killed, 1 Missing as Storms Drench Southeast
By KATE BRUMBACK, Associated Press Writer
13 mins ago

ATLANTA – At least two people died in floodwaters in Georgia and a Tennessee man was missing after swimming into an overflowing ditch on a dare as rows of thunderstorms drenched the Southeast, submerging some major highways in the Atlanta area and prompting flood warnings Monday.

Forecasters issued flood alerts for parts of Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia as more rain fell after days of storms that have saturated the ground. As much as 20 inches had fallen in three days in the Atlanta metro area.

The "persistent tropical system" that has been hovering over the region for the last week could dump another four inches on north Georgia overnight Monday with isolated areas possibly seeing even higher rainfall levels, said National Weather Service meteorologist Frank Taylor. Rains were expected to taper off starting Wednesday, he said.

Rescuers in Tennessee were searching for a Chattanooga man who was swept into a culvert Sunday after boasting to friends and relatives that he could swim across a flooded ditch alongside his house for $5. The man's nephew identified him as 46-year-old Sylvester Kitchens.

Firefighters rescued another man who also tried to swim the ditch, Albert Miller. Miller was found clinging to a fence in the water near where the water empties into the culvert, said Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner. Miller was taken to the hospital with symptoms of hypothermia.

The nephew, 22-year-old Leslie Townsend, said Kitchens was swept away when he tried to grab onto a garden hose that Townsend threw to him.

Emergency workers in the Atlanta suburb of Lawrenceville found a woman dead in her sunken vehicle after it was swept off a road by flooding Monday, said Capt. Thomas Rutledge of the Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services. He had no further information about the woman.

"In my 22 years in the fire department here in Gwinnett we have not experienced flooding to this degree," Rutledge aid.

One of the hardest-hit areas is Douglas County west of Atlanta, which forecasters say was hit by as much as a foot of rain during the deluge. The rains blocked more than 45 roads in the county and caused the death of a man whose body was found downstream after his car was swept from the road into a creek, said county spokesman Wes Tallon.

He said emergency officials have rescued dozens of people stranded in their homes and cars by rising waters.

"We're using everything we can get our hands on," Tallon said. "Everything from boats to Jet Skis to ropes to ladders."

By midday Monday, authorities were shifting from rescue mode to damage assessment, Rutledge said, but he added that they were bracing for the possibility of more problems as more storms were expected to move into the area.

In Kentucky, thunderstorms dumped about 4 inches of rain on parts of Louisville in a single day Sunday. Flash flooding caused fire and rescue personnel to make more than a dozen runs to assist people stranded in vehicles, said Louisville fire department spokesman Sgt. Salvador Melendez. A fire that broke out Sunday night at an apartment complex appeared to be caused by lightning, Melendez said. A firefighter suffered burns to his neck, he said.

Flooding in more than 20 counties in western North Carolina closed roads, delayed school and forced evacuations.

The rolling storms shut down school systems in five north Georgia counties. Water also flooded homes, washed out some roads and left standing pools on some busy metro Atlanta highways.

Flash flood watches were issued Monday for much of Alabama, where the National Weather Service said as much as a foot of rain fell in less than 24 hours in some northern parts of the state. School officials in Bibb County, about 50 miles southwest of Birmingham, called off classes for fear their 3,600 students wouldn't be able to get home later Monday.

Lisa Janak of the Georgia Emergency Management Agency says the rains caused a mudslide that blocked part of Stone Mountain Freeway east of Atlanta. She urged residents to stay home if they don't have to drive.

Trisha Palmer of the National Weather Service says that as much as 20 inches of rain has fallen on the metro Atlanta area since Friday. She said parts of Douglas and Carroll counties have received more than a foot of rain in the last day alone. As of 8 a.m. Monday, Chattanooga had received 4.93 inches of rain in 24 hours.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
Everybody stay safe there.

It just isn't right getting 2 years of rain in 1 week.

We will be waiting for good news.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
Flooding caused 5 deaths in Atlanta Metro area.  One a 2 year old boy was entrapped when the family's mobile home was swept away by a creek.  Mother, father, and 1 year old escaped.  The creek depth was normally 2 feet.  It rose to 18 feet.  One adult female died trying to drive across fast moving water.  Governor Perdue declared 17 Georgia counties as disaster areas.
Most Atlanta area schools are closed.
The storms that were moving across Atlanta area have moved east tonight.  We've had steady rain for 4 hours with occasional thunderstorms.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:28:45 PM »
Atlanta elevation is 1000 - 1200 feet.  The flooding makes it look like below sea level waters in Louisiana.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:12:33 AM »
Watching the Weather Channel last night and heard a clap of thunder come through the studio mics.  Must have been a close one as they jumped and stopped talking for an instant before commenting about it. 

Today now we are getting some of that moisture streaming up through here in a line SW to NE across my area.  Been on the light side so far.  We were getting dry and needed some. 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

anything