Author Topic: Great Deal Hurry!  (Read 1199 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Great Deal Hurry!
« on: August 17, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »
Academy sports has the 5 in 1 with HD display and lightning detector for $55! Dual solar panel model.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Great Deal Hurry!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 01:02:39 PM »
Link?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:35:30 PM »
That's it. Seems kind of cheap? I hope it's valid.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 06:45:42 PM »
That's it. Seems kind of cheap? I hope it's valid.

No, it's not valid. [I meant to post when you first put this up here, but hadn't logged in for a while and lost my un and pswd :] ]

Check out the 'Item number',  01121M, it's for a small 'home' temp and humidity device.
The "AcuRite 5-in-1 Weather Station
$129.99" is actually ITEM: 01541DI, at:
https://www.academy.com/p/acurite-5-in-1-weather-station   .

At least in my browser, the Academy website has all kinds of presentation problems, it didn't used to be that way. And I've been an Academy customer for decades in some of their first stores [walk in, in S TX, long before internet shopping with them].
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Sports_%2B_Outdoors

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 06:55:30 PM »
I ordered one. If it comes wrong, back it goes! My 5 in 1 bit the dust. The oscillator got fouled and the system kept changing channels all the time. IF you put it on B, it would transmit C, and go back and forth.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 08:43:46 PM »
I ordered one. If it comes wrong, back it goes! My 5 in 1 bit the dust. The oscillator got fouled and the system kept changing channels all the time. IF you put it on B, it would transmit C, and go back and forth.

Good luck with the carpshoot.

I recently turned up an Acurite 5in1 Iris that I bought a few years ago [w/lightning detector and later a second console].

It has been giving me fits with the 5in1 sensor to the Access hub comms problems. There is no common time or interference problem that I can find.
The Acurite webpage green indicator bar status popout  'Signal Strength' just goes from 5bar Excellent to 1or2bar or nothing, and yellow or red ind bar, and it stops recording WX data for a random time gap.
See the same indications by going to the Access hub UI at :  http://192.168.1.101  .

EG  [hope that the formatting holds]:
Acurite webpage dashboard popout:
"Device Name:AcuRite Iris®
Device Type:AcuRite Iris®
Signal Strength:Poor
Battery Strength:Normal
Last Update:08/21/2022 19:17

Access hub UI:
"Sensor List:
PRESSURE: 29.43 Inch

SIGNAL:433MHZ

#   Type   Id   Last Time (UTC)   Signal Battery
0   light   00003902   2022-08-22T00:21:34   4[SS]   Low

1   tower 00008164 2022-08-22T00:21:28   4[SS]   Normal

2   5N1   00001491   2022-08-22T00:21:37   4[SS]   Normal
© Chaney Instrument, Co."

* [SS] = the Signal Strength, 0 to 4. And this status often differs between the dashboard and the Access UI...

Early on I did find an interesting 'feature' of the 5in1 sensor.
When I set up the sensor outside, using the 'remote battery holder' device option, I stuck in some weak batteries [weak or quality rechargeables, don't remember], just to check it out, then got distracted and forgot them.

After about a month the batteries had had it. Then the outside sensor would die about 9-10pm. In the morning, about two hours after sunrise, the 5in1 Iris would come back to life and work fine all day, and until about an hour or two after sundown.
The bloody little solar panels were powering the whole thing!
Although the wind readings wouldn't kick in until an hour or so after the temp/hum ones.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 08:33:59 AM »
I have problems with the access hub as well. The signal will just stop, and I have to move it around. The solar panels on the 5 in 1 are not connected to anything but the fan motor, so the heat from the sun may have activated the batteries somehow.

The package will arrive later on today, so I will update.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 10:15:13 AM »
I have problems with the access hub as well. The signal will just stop, and I have to move it around. The solar panels on the 5 in 1 are not connected to anything but the fan motor, so the heat from the sun may have activated the batteries somehow.

The package will arrive later on today, so I will update.

That Access hub 'appears' to be a neat device, but it should have had a wifi capability [it would be so much easier to move it around to an ideal location]. And it seems to be incredibly sensitive to...what? RFI, nearby EMF, temperature/humidity, allergies? Imo, no modern electronic devices should be so unstable, and most aren't.

I hadn't thought of a battery thermal recovery condition, although around here since about May every day hovers around 100deg or more, and the nighttime lows are rarely below the 80s; in fact each month this year has been setting all kinds of NOAA records.
I remain skeptical of that, are you sure there is no possible solar panel electrical backfeed into the main circuitry? In South Texas with max insolation the panels are well-fed.
Actually, I think that I may have removed the batteries for a time while I looked for replacements [ended up ordering a quantity of CR top-rated Amazons in a quick Prime delivery]. I'm going to test this by removing them for a couple of days and see if it replicates what I saw [it has been slightly cooler out the past week, and we've actually had clouds and a few hundredths of precip [at ~10% of ytd 'normal'], from PTD 4].
https://www.weather.gov/radarliteloop?radarid=KCRP

Certainly interested in what you're getting from Academy, might be tempted to get a spare at that price, but it's probably better to just abandon Acurite.

I've also been wondering if my 5n1 fan is even effective or running. My temp readings seem to always be 1-3 degrees above many surrounding stations [per WU, fwiw] once daily heating begins in earnest; and correlates at other times.
Any way to actually check the fan operation [mounted high, so physical obs would be difficult]?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 11:21:14 AM »
The order came, it's some black digital thermometer display with a tower sensor. It's not even close to what was shown! I'm taking it back to the store.

I will likely go Ecowitt. My thermometer was always 3 F degrees high too in hot weather. The fan is working, or it would really be high.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 12:28:56 PM »
I'm going with a Tycon Power system WS2350, or they call it a TP 3000WC - It's on sale, and it has everything the Ambient has, and is compatible with the Ecowitt GW1100 gateway. It is also compatible with meteobridge.