Author Topic: Using new VP2 with old Envoy?  (Read 496 times)

Offline robertgbtx

Using new VP2 with old Envoy?
« on: August 08, 2022, 01:45:55 PM »
I currently own a VP2 and a wireless Envoy with data-logger both purchased in 2007. The Envoy (3.80 firmware) continues to work great and is connected to a Raspberry Pi running software I designed. The VP2 station is showing its age and I'm thinking of replacing it.

From my research, it appears Davis hasn't changed how the station transmits its data. So in theory I should be able to take down and disable the old station and install the new one on the same RF channel. My Envoy and custom software would be none the wiser.

Has anyone here tried to make this swap recently?

Update 08/13/2022: I purchased a new VP2 and the swap went just fine with no adjustments required for my Envoy or software. Even my old console with ancient firmware is working normally. Again, thank you to everyone that responded to my question.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 05:19:19 PM by robertgbtx »
SYS: Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless & Weather Envoy since 2007
SW:  Custom Python package running on Raspberry Pi 3B
CWOP: AS993
WU: KTXGRANB88 (deleted)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Using new VP2 with old Envoy?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 03:15:42 PM »
At one point, I had 2 consoles and an Envoy.  I later swapped out the Envoy for a full console.  So now I have 3.  One running WD, one for Cumulus.  Last one is in my hallway just for viewing.

It's like you said, just setup same channels and new console will come online.  But if you're not having issues, there really is no reason to get a new one.  About the only thing you may want is to update the firmware of the console.  But if it's version 3.0 and above, it probably doesn't even need that.

If you really wanted to update the firmware cheaper, I'd get the Belfrey Boy USB logger.   It's half the cost of Davis model.  Just to connect your console to a PC and update the firmware.  Getting shipped from UK takes a bit longer.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 04:13:55 PM »

The VP2 station is showing its age and I'm thinking of replacing it.

it appears Davis hasn't changed how the station transmits its data. So in theory I should be able to take down and disable the old station and install the new one on the same RF channel. My Envoy and custom software would be none the wiser.Has anyone here tried to make this swap recently?

I changed my 2008 VP2 ISS in 2018 with a new ISS Plus.  Both my original VP2 console with IP logger and Envoy with USB logger receive and work fine with the new ISS.  Have also added a WLL and that also receives from that ISS.  If the new station is on a different channel then all you need is to change the Envoy and console to the new channel number.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline robertgbtx

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 09:39:10 AM »
92merc & PaulMy,

Thanks for confirming what I thought. Give Davis kudos for making the design of these stations robust and for not changing their comm protocols. If it works, don't 'fix' it.

I hadn't thought about my old console. Not sure if I've ever updated its firmware. In any event, it will be nice having two of them. Now I just have to figure out where to purchase a new ISS!
SYS: Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless & Weather Envoy since 2007
SW:  Custom Python package running on Raspberry Pi 3B
CWOP: AS993
WU: KTXGRANB88 (deleted)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

anything