Author Topic: Reolink  (Read 1417 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Reolink
« on: January 22, 2023, 07:14:55 AM »
I have 4 of these camera's and so far they work well and the images are great.
Problem I am having is the camera picking up moving objects at a distance. I have a big lot and I want to see when vehicles or people enter the yard. The best I can get is about 15 feet away. I have camera set to record any time it see's movement but I go back and look and there is no recording.  I have tried adjusting the sensitivity controls but no luck. The specific camera is an Argus 3 Pro.
Maybe I bought the wrong camera for what I need. Just curious what your experiences are with recording objects at a distance.
Crazy but I have and old smart phone I use with Alfred software and it picks up everything. Even at long distances. Now if a smart phone camera can do it why not a security camera.   
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Reolink
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 08:48:33 AM »
I think the max IR range is about 30 feet for animate objects and about 50 feet for vehicles. If it's behind a glass window, camera housing, range reduced. I think the zone area size also influences the sensitivity. This is about what I see on my 410s. I think any thermal background can affect sensitivity. I also suspect the resolution settings influence this... with fluid being less, but don't remember for sure.  Are you using the Client or a DVR?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 11:06:37 AM »
Camera is outside.
Using both the client and app. No DVR.
I understand the IR would have a limit but daytime is really the issue. I have stood outside waving my arms, walking back and forth  changing the settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I have not changed the resolution. Didn't think of that. In your opinion should I go higher or lower with that.
Also the zone area's are the FOV of the camera.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
Remember that if you walk straight toward or away from it they don't trip as easy as movement crosswise.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:42:29 PM »
Oops... that's a battery powered model isn't it?   You lose most of the PIR functions on those models... all you can set is sensitivity. Sigh.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 03:37:20 PM »
I have Argus 2's and have front porch sensitivity at 15% to prevent Blue Jays and such from setting them off.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 04:48:21 PM »
I have a support ticket opened with reolink. Maybe they have a solution.
It just seems to me if anything is moving in the fov of the camera and it's set to record any movement it should start recording. Especially if the sensitivity is set to high.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 04:50:49 PM »
Heard back from Reolink.
The camera in question only uses PIR for motion detection so  that's why it's limited in what it can see. The heat sensor only has a limited range.   It's also a battery powered camera and those only come with PIR sensors.
I also have a RLC510WA which uses electric power and comes with an image sensor instead of a PIR sensor.  Big difference. After installing it in place of the other one I can now see about a 100 to 150 ft away. Just what I was looking for.
I guess I needed to do my homework better but I also think that Reolink could point out these facts better in their description of what the unit can do.
So bottom line if you are looking for a Reolink camera that can pick up movement at long distances get one with an image sensor instead of PIR.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the update.

There is so much that seems like it should be the same, when it isn't.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php