Author Topic: Davis Anemometer 6410 RJ11 to USB Adapter  (Read 875 times)

Offline Bra1nsen

Davis Anemometer 6410 RJ11 to USB Adapter
« on: May 22, 2022, 03:00:13 PM »
Hey voks,

I connected the Anemometer directly via USB Adapter to my Raspberry Pi 4B (linux) to read out the data, but unforutnalty I cant find any software online. Does anyone know how best to proceed, it can't be that difficult to write a simple program to read out the data. I just don't really know how/where to start.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis Anemometer 6410 RJ11 to USB Adapter
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »
Not sure what you're expecting by connecting a USB plug to a 6410 anemometer? But USB would only be any good with a compatible USB digital device, whereas the 6410 is essentially an analogue device.

You could potentially interface the individual leads of a 6410 to the the GPIO pins of a Pi, but you'd probably need an A2D add-on board or alternatively use a Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller. Direction needs A2D input and speed needs an interrupt-driven counter with debounce code etc for accuracy.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 04:31:02 PM »
As johnd points out, it will take more then a USB adaptor.  Here are a couple of links to information that might be helpful with interfacing to the 6410 anemometer.

https://www.wxforum.net/wxtech/Anemometer-Vane.htm

https://support.davisinstruments.com/article/ffu8exjr1y-spec-sheet-solar-power-kit-heavy-duty-solar-power-kit-specifications-6612-6614

Eric

Offline Bra1nsen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 02:58:19 AM »
Thanks for reply guys.

am wondering why this guys does not need a adc for reading out the data

https://blog.towerup.com/wind-speed-measurements-with-anemometer-and-a-raspberry-pi/

he just uses the gpio terminal

so I thought it should be also possible via usb...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 03:32:00 AM »
am wondering why this guys does not need a adc for reading out the data

Only glanced quickly but he only seems to be measuring wind speed and not direction. Speed you can do via some sort of counter which can be implemented via GPIO, but not so direction (at least AFAIUI). That's why I mentioned Pico which does have A2D built in.

so I thought it should be also possible via usb...

I still don't follow. USB is something completely different from GPIO.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bra1nsen

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 03:50:03 AM »
Ok and if I upgrade to the complete vantage pro 2 weather station (without console)? So I mean is the ADC included in the white solar box? So that I connect the white box to the Raspberry and read out the data using ready-made software. (https://github.com/ardexa/davis-weather-station)

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 05:02:36 AM »
Ok and if I upgrade to the complete vantage pro 2 weather station (without console)? So I mean is the ADC included in the white solar box? So that I connect the white box to the Raspberry and read out the data using ready-made software. (https://github.com/ardexa/davis-weather-station)

No

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 05:20:51 AM »
Ok and if I upgrade to the complete vantage pro 2 weather station (without console)? So I mean is the ADC included in the white solar box?

Yes, the ISS circuit board (inside your 'white box') does have a low-power microcontroller analogous to Pico which will have an A2D interface. But this doesn't mean that you can easily access the data. VP2 sensor assemblies come in two types - wireless (868/900MHz) and cabled. Wireless obviously needs a suitable receiver, which is one of the roles that the console provides. Cabled is potentially more accessible since it passes data via an RS422/485 interface but only in the form of coded binary data packets (that aren't documented - officially at least). So you could in theory fit an RS485 interface board (eg a HAT) to a Pi but there would be a lot of work in working out how to decode the data packets and how to program for that.

So that I connect the white box to the Raspberry and read out the data using ready-made software. (https://github.com/ardexa/davis-weather-station)

I think this sort of software assumes that you're going to have a console and then eg a USB logger which provides a data stream that's a lot easier to work with. If you have a console/logger and a Pi then there's a lot of other readymade Pi-compatible software such as CumulusMX that will provide all the data functionality that you might ever need.

More generally, there's a whole spectrum of solutions for interfacing Davis sensors to a Pi ranging from bare sensors interfacing direct to a Pi via eg an A2D converter where necessary or a microcontroller with build-in A2D like Pico right through to the standard solution of VP2 sensor assembly + console + logger where you can use powerful freeware or commercial software. But if you want to use a simple/cheap solution like bare sensors and a Pi then there's a lot of programming work that you'll need to do. Many people have trodden this path and there's a lot of information out there on the web, but don't assume that bare sensors can provide a a single easy-to-use data stream in eg text format - they can't! A very interesting and worthwhile project to use eg bare sensors + A2D + Pi, but don't underestimate the development work involved.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:31:57 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bra1nsen

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 06:11:33 AM »
John I can't thank you enough. Thank you for your detailed explanations.

I find it very exciting and would also like to do everything myself, but unfortunately life is too short. I would like to discuss the simplest and cheapest option.

I don't understand why Davis Instruments doesn't offer a cable solution (RS485) without going through a console. That would obviously be the best and simplest solution. Just a cable from the weather station to the computer. I'll ask support about this this afternoon.

Davis Integrated Sensor Unit ISS 6322C would be ideal for this.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 06:23:09 AM »
Are you restricted to Davis for any reason? Why not look at other stations that can provide RS485, 2-wire, half duplex and have open communication protocol?

Offline Bra1nsen

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 06:25:50 AM »
I already bought the Anemometer...

What would you recommend Mattk?

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »
Lufft have an anemometer only sensor with RS485 interface, USB to RS485 converters are plentiful, would leave a bit of software development required if you wanted to do that part yourself?

anything