Author Topic: Storms Dudley and Eunice UK  (Read 4909 times)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Storms Dudley and Eunice UK
« on: February 15, 2022, 07:06:47 AM »
Two more of the 'named' storms coming up for us tomorrow.  The first one is headed for the North of the UK and the second one comes more South.  I'm wondering what wind gusts will be recorded.  There is no named storm today but I am in a very windy part of the UK (Cornwall) and it is very windy today.  Overnight I recorded a gust of 51.7 mph and look at this from an our ago! 

I'm not sure I entirely believe this value but it is very windy indeed this morning. 

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: Storms Dudley and Eunice UK
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:56:30 AM »
we are just down the road

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:59 AM »
Hold on to your hat! Or hair?

Too late!  :-)

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:29:35 AM »
we are just down the road

How interesting!  [tup]  My gust was 11.17am.  I have actually emailed ecowitt this morning because it see seem to be stretching the bounds of credulity that I could always be the windiest place in Cornwall even counting the Lizzard Peninsula.  On the Ecowitt map I couldn't find anyone with a gust stronger than about 35 mph.  I even looked at the offshore buoys.  I guess you are not on the Ecowitt map.  I am in a really exposed position and I do have the station on the roof so there may be some acceleration due to the roof slope.  We'll see what tomorrow brings..   

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 01:29:25 PM »
We should be on the Ecowitt map, just outside Redruth

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 07:08:44 AM »
2 of you seeing similar gusts then I would say it's legit. I'm expecting around 60moh on Friday, just hope my fence posts hold cause 3 are holding the guy lines, luckily one is  concrete, still I think I should be OK as the wind is fro bthe west so the summerhouse will shield a good portion
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 09:32:31 AM »
I got a reply from Ecowitt and they suggested a test to see if it was being double triggered but I'm fairly sure it is not showing double speed as they suggested could be a possibility.  It registers under one or two miles an hour and all other speeds as true as far as I can tell.  It's just that during very windy weather some of the gusts seem higher than anyone else's station.  Now I've seen Box's big gust and his general wind speed data looking very much like mine I think mine really must be accurate.

It's pretty wild here today, despite being only the first of the two storms (the one that mainly misses us) I have a gust of 58.2 recorded which feels right for the noise and how much stuff is blowing about in the garden.  I am out on a headland so very exposed.  Box is further inland but I see he had a max gust of over 45mph earlier.  Now to wait for the real storm..     

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 12:55:25 PM »
I got a reply from Ecowitt and they suggested a test to see if it was being double triggered but I'm fairly sure it is not showing double speed as they suggested could be a possibility.  It registers under one or two miles an hour and all other speeds as true as far as I can tell.  It's just that during very windy weather some of the gusts seem higher than anyone else's station.  Now I've seen Box's big gust and his general wind speed data looking very much like mine I think mine really must be accurate.

It's pretty wild here today, despite being only the first of the two storms (the one that mainly misses us) I have a gust of 58.2 recorded which feels right for the noise and how much stuff is blowing about in the garden.  I am out on a headland so very exposed.  Box is further inland but I see he had a max gust of over 45mph earlier.  Now to wait for the real storm..   
Yes, hold onto your hat!

It's pretty open from us over to porthtowan so we see the full force of northerlies

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 01:37:26 PM »
Had a 50mph here in Norfolk/Suffolk border
Make that 59mph :o
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:47:07 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 03:03:24 PM »
Highest I've seen so far today in the Kingdom is 29.7knots (34.18mph) so not bad ... yet  ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 03:49:53 PM »
52mph here this afternoon at 1640....more to come i think

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2022, 05:10:57 PM »
42mph just east of Manchester airport at 16:19. Expecting worse tomorrow with Eunice dropping pressure rapidly.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 09:19:56 PM »
Had a 48 a bit later on but that was a one off, been mostly 38's since the 59, or they could have been spikes, who knows lol interesting part is, the stronger winds here were meant for Friday not yesterday  :shock:   My mast is at about 10m and only bungalows close by, closest one is about 15m, southerly, closest houses are form a northly direction and around 40-50m away, from the west, the driection of the winds (for the most part) i have nothing in the way, just gardens, so my location isnt as bad as many. At the time of the 59mph gust, i could swear i felt it through the blooming sofa lol
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 03:21:41 AM »
Bushy, I’m sure the 59mph gust was genuine. That’s why it’s important to have a station that has a frequent capture frequency. 2.5 secs for Davis.

I recorded 44mph at 23:50 but the worst is coming tomorrow.

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 03:44:08 AM »
It's calmed down here for now but the latest weather warning says 70 -100mph for tomorrow and the BBC weather forecasters are now calling it a weather bomb. The joke is, I have some fence panels being delivered today!  If it stays on the expected track we will get W-SW winds from it which we are fully exposed to.  That is also our prevailing wind direction here so the house is kind of 'used' to that direction (what hasn't already blown away probably won't!) but if 100mph gusts really do turn up there will be damage.  It will make for a new station record anyway.  :!:

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 03:51:32 AM »
Delay having your fence panels installed. 👍 Pressure rising presently but it will drop extremely rapidly tomorrow. >24hPa in 24 hours is defined as a bomb!

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 04:19:30 AM »
If ya see 100mph, I can see structure damage occurring somewhere, roofs, chimney, walls etc
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 07:14:26 AM »
Dudley has been a bit of a non event so far,  here in the Kingdom, a bit of rain and wind but nothing too extreme. Currently sunny blue sky and a bit of gusty wind, averaging 17 kts
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 07:43:44 AM »
It's calmed down here for now but the latest weather warning says 70 -100mph for tomorrow and the BBC weather forecasters are now calling it a weather bomb. The joke is, I have some fence panels being delivered today!  If it stays on the expected track we will get W-SW winds from it which we are fully exposed to.  That is also our prevailing wind direction here so the house is kind of 'used' to that direction (what hasn't already blown away probably won't!) but if 100mph gusts really do turn up there will be damage.  It will make for a new station record anyway.  :!:
yes red warning out now be interesting to see how it pans out and if my anemometer survives!!

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2022, 07:50:06 AM »
Eunice is a bit more angry.  Up to a rare (for the UK) red warning now for North Cornwall with expected 90-100mph gusts.

The question is should I take the weather station down in order to protect it.  :lol:  (I'm not going to!)

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2022, 07:51:48 AM »
It's been very windy here on the SE coast today, I've had 50+mph gusts today and it is only now starting to calm down bit since midday but it is still very breezy. Bristol Channel area now has a red warning from UKMO for Friday amber for the rest of us in the southern half of the UK.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 07:54:04 AM »
The forecast here is for 83mph, ive never seen that before, not in the 15 years ive had station, its gonna be bad if it gets to those speeds, i live right on the edge of Thetford Forest, i can see many trees coming down and on the roads around here, its gonna be a baddun, i hope it doesnt hit that high cause im in a small village and will lose power, i did last night but only for a few minutes...

I really hope the fences hold else my mast will follow :'(

my max today is a paultry 41mph, i think it was, its now the calm before the storm.....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline smokie

• Newquay Cornwall. UK
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2022, 09:01:01 AM »
Expecting the worse here on the north Cornwall coast, been here for  25 years, not seen a red warning before.
Newquay, Cornwall.UK  > WS2300 Operational since May 2007. New home from 6/4/08 www.newquayweather.com

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 04:57:24 PM »
Interesting times 10mb drop in 9 hours