Author Topic: Transmitter ID priority?  (Read 500 times)

Offline mihec

Transmitter ID priority?
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:51:08 AM »
Hi,
I think I noticed somewhere in the posts that Transmitter IDs are prioritized in terms of data reception. I have a Vantage Pro2 ISS (temp/hum/rain) and additional wireless transmitter for the anemometer. I think the ISS is on ID 1, the wind is on ID 2. When we have wind, it blows in gusts. I noticed that the wind update might miss a packet from time to time. I can tell this by watching the console (especially when a strong gust occurs and the wind update just waits few seconds more than usual).
If there is a priority list for the IDs, may I assume that packet from ID2 will be thrown away if a packet from ID1 arrives at the same time?
Is it required to have an ISS on ID1 or could I swap them and make wind ID1?
Thanks!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Transmitter ID priority?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:19:55 AM »
There's no packet prioritisation AFAIK, but two things to remember:

1. The console has effectively just a single-tasking processor so if that's busy eg saving an archive record or doing some other internal housekeeping at the precise moment that a new transmitter packet arrives then that packet may well be missed. But this applies to all packets on whatever ID, though it is a reason why eg 1 minute archiving isn't compatible with optimum packet reception.

2. Because of how the timing of packets works on different IDs, the high ID's tend to go out of scope before eg ID #1.

So, always best AIUI to have wind on #1 and to favour lower IDs where possible. There are only two types of VP2 transmitter - the ISS type (ISS, wind, temp/hum etc) and 6345 (leaf wetness, soil moisture etc). There's no difference in priority between the two types or eg ISS vs ISS used as a wind transmitter.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mihec

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 01:58:43 AM »
Thank you, johnd. I have a 1-min logging, indeed. I want to have all data available if my Windows crashes... but I will keep this in mind and might switch to 5-min or so. Does the console store the max wind gust in this 5-min period or it just stored what's read at the interval?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 12:58:28 PM »
Hi,
I think I noticed somewhere in the posts that Transmitter IDs are prioritized in terms of data reception. I have a Vantage Pro2 ISS (temp/hum/rain) and additional wireless transmitter for the anemometer. I think the ISS is on ID 1, the wind is on ID 2. When we have wind, it blows in gusts. I noticed that the wind update might miss a packet from time to time. I can tell this by watching the console (especially when a strong gust occurs and the wind update just waits few seconds more than usual).
If there is a priority list for the IDs, may I assume that packet from ID2 will be thrown away if a packet from ID1 arrives at the same time?
Is it required to have an ISS on ID1 or could I swap them and make wind ID1?
Thanks!

It is complicate:
ID # determines what would be delay time between frames.
So ISS should be on ID1 in my opinion.
ID1 2.55 sec.
ID2 2.62 sec.
ID3 2.68 sec.
ID4 2.74 sec.
ID5 2.80 sec.
ID6 2.87 sec.
ID7 2.93 sec.
ID8 2.99 sec.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 01:25:38 PM »
The wind data is the fastest changing, so I always make the wind transmitter #1 to get the 2.5 second updates.
Mark

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:43:44 PM »
When I ditched the wired ISS and put up a solar transmitter for the Anny I was running the consoles on ID #1.  So I put the Anny on #2.

Next time up the tower I will rectify that.

[tup]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 05:32:54 PM »
I just clocked my update interval with my anny on TX#2 and it's consistently at 1.9 seconds. I didn't realize it was that quick.

anything