Author Topic: AcuRite ATLAS 5-in-1 with Lighting Sensor Mounting Pole Question  (Read 566 times)

Offline synapse

I have an AcuRite ATLAS 5-in-1 and bought the optional lighting sensor.  At my last place, I didn't have a good location to mount the station and it was close to an air conditioner condenser unit outside.  It was always reporting hundreds of lighting strikes everyday, but I'm not really sure why.

My new place has plenty of room to mount the station out back and it isn't near anything electrical, other than porch lights.  Does anyone know if a metal pole will interfere with the lighting sensor?  Any pro-tips for mounting the ATLAS so it works with the lighting sensor?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:10:29 AM by synapse »

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: AcuRite ATLAS 5-in-1 with Lighting Sensor Mounting Pole Question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:42:51 AM »
The early versions of the Atlas (2018) had a problem with the fan causing interference with the lightning detector. The fan only runs off the solar panels so the fan interference would only happen during the day time. Units with the problem that were still under warranty could be sent back to AcuRite for repair.

See also:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=43192.0

I have my Atlas mounted on a metal pole without it causing any problems.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline synapse

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:08:29 PM »
Thanks, I bought mine in 2021, hopefully it doesn't have this problem. 

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:16:43 PM »
You could try covering the solar panels and see if it's the fan that's causing your false lightning strikes.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

anything