Author Topic: ISS heated rain gauge for snow  (Read 1618 times)

Offline JRHill

ISS heated rain gauge for snow
« on: January 07, 2022, 05:40:03 PM »
Hi folks! I am sure I saw other posts on this but can't get any search results. Last year I added the solar and UV sensors. I love 'em for my purposes. But I've thought for just as long about the heated funnel for the rain gauge. It is frustrating in these times of draught to loose data because the funnel is full of snow and ice and spilling over. So here is my question:

We are off grid. We just went through 2.5 weeks of ZERO kWh into our panels. It was just that overcast, foggy and everything snow covered. So if I added on the heated funnel, how does that really work in the season you actually need it? The ISS is obviously easier to get to than panels on a steel roof but does it only work when there is little or no sunlight to the solar panel? Is there a battery? I mean, just how justifiable is an upgrade? I don't mind going out to clear the little panel but if there is no solar to harvest It seems a waste. OTOH, it can't be a total waste as it never would've come to market. So what's the up and down on this?

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: ISS heated rain gauge for snow
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »
You could poss run the same as i use and that's a 12v 10w car bulb, i think its a 10w, might even be a 5w one, it sits in a bulb holder, wired to a temp switch. that can be run off a 12v battery. You need to insulate the lining of the inside of the cone, i did this by sandwiching small bubbled bubble wrap between 2 sheets of foil, sealed together with just tape along the edges, when you create the cut for the 2 ends to join up, its needs to be on a slant, so it joins in a cone shape. Because its such a small bulb, its not fast thawing but it deffo works for what little snow I've had over the last 6 years'ish
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline JRHill

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:15:51 PM »
I love it, thank you. I have some old 12v starting batteries that are tired but would work great for this. What would you recommend for an in line 30f temp switch that can handle 1 amp?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 10:01:04 PM »
Heaters work well in moderately cold temps.  Not so well when it is 0 and a wind chill. If you get that kind of thing.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 11:37:01 PM »
You just need sommat like this

Chief-David, Windchill only affects the skin ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 11:39:33 PM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 04:36:06 AM »
Wind chill affects anything that has a heater element. It blows away the heat, maybe faster than it can be produced by a small heater.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 05:29:31 AM »
Wind chill affects anything that has a heater element. It blows away the heat, maybe faster than it can be produced by a small heater.

Unfortunately, the term 'wind chill' is not well-defined, at least not without more context. In meteorology, here's one definition from the UKMO: 'Wind chill factor takes into account wind speeds and humidity to assess how the human body actually feels temperature.' So it's impossible to apply calculated wind chill values to inanimate objects.

That said, if some inanimate object outdoors is at a different temperature (hotter or colder) than the surrounding air then how quickly that object gains or loses heat will depend on wind speed, at least as one factor. I an see why people might be tempted to call that wind chill (or heating), but it's really a distinct concept from how the term is normally used in meteorology.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 11:29:58 AM »

Unfortunately, the term 'wind chill' is not well-defined, at least not without more context. In meteorology, here's one definition from the UKMO: 'Wind chill factor takes into account wind speeds and humidity to assess how the human body actually feels temperature.' So it's impossible to apply calculated wind chill values to inanimate objects.

That said, if some inanimate object outdoors is at a different temperature (hotter or colder) than the surrounding air then how quickly that object gains or loses heat will depend on wind speed, at least as one factor. I an see why people might be tempted to call that wind chill (or heating), but it's really a distinct concept from how the term is normally used in meteorology.

Thats my take in windchill, as for the latter paragraph, would that be called convection?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 11:50:45 AM »
I had a heater when I lived in town.  It worked moderately well.  But this was also on the old cone.  The Davis heater doesn't work with the new Aero Cone.

When I moved out in the country, wind took over.  Not only could the heater not heat the funnel well enough by 0F, the wind stopped snow from even being deposited into the funnel.  So there was no point for me.

So with wind, not only do you have to figure in heat loss, but will the snow even land and stay in the funnel?
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
I had a heater when I lived in town.  It worked moderately well.  But this was also on the old cone.  The Davis heater doesn't work with the new Aero Cone.

When I moved out in the country, wind took over.  Not only could the heater not heat the funnel well enough by 0F, the wind stopped snow from even being deposited into the funnel.  So there was no point for me.

So with wind, not only do you have to figure in heat loss, but will the snow even land and stay in the funnel?

It's not always windy ;)
I've not experienced any issues with the wind but then mine is slower than a Davis heater as its non where near powerful.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »
It's always windy in North Dakota.   :grin:
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline JRHill

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 01:12:40 PM »
Thanks for all the input folks. The Amazon link to the temperature device got me to wondering if the switching logic can be inverted so the relay closes as the temp drops below the set point instead of closing above the set point. The poor effort at a description in English is difficult to understand. I'm not too worried about wind chill, convection or what ever you want to call it (wink). BTW my wife and I have had words over the same subject. I maintain there is no wind chill unless there is moisture involved that can evaporate for a cooling effect. Then she tells me I'm cooling the house down with running the ceiling fan to distribute the heat from the wood burner. But she's the scientist (literally) and I'm just a lowly engineer.

Anyway, I'm thinking of just a switch so that when snow or sleet I'll just click it to On. We literally walk by the station doing chores every day anyway and no sense in having the heater run needlessly when there's nothing to melt.

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 03:30:40 PM »
I use one of these - got a longer sensor for it though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393110444436

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224662651812?var=523510265198

ahh edit - its already been mentioned - yes you can change it to n/o or n/c switching and a load of other adjustments too
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 03:33:15 PM by G.Brown »

Offline JRHill

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 03:34:46 PM »
You could poss run the same as i use and that's a 12v 10w car bulb, i think its a 10w, might even be a 5w one, it sits in a bulb holder, wired to a temp switch. that can be run off a 12v battery. You need to insulate the lining of the inside of the cone, i did this by sandwiching small bubbled bubble wrap between 2 sheets of foil, sealed together with just tape along the edges, when you create the cut for the 2 ends to join up, its needs to be on a slant, so it joins in a cone shape. Because its such a small bulb, its not fast thawing but it deffo works for what little snow I've had over the last 6 years'ish

I have a trip to town scheduled and was going to stop by NAPA. I foresee the parts guy drawing a blank stare when I try to shop for a incandescent, bayonet style bulb by wattage. I have an old rig that I can salvage a bulb holder.... I suppose I can start with that and the bulb and use my Fluke to determine the wattage. Any recollection what you used? The dash lights are probably too small and built into the instrument cluster.

I was hoping to find a reed switch instead of a temp controller. Looks to be an expensive option in trying to avoid battery drain.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 03:51:10 PM by JRHill »

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
This is the heater I used with a piece of aluminium above it and an insulation below also insulated the outside of the surround. I had a trial outside when we had some frost a few weeks ago but no sign of any snow - I suspect wind chill may be a problem and need to block the some of the drainage holes in the base.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125053024865?var=426121619469

Offline JRHill

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 04:41:52 PM »
This is the heater I used with a piece of aluminium above it and an insulation below also insulated the outside of the surround. I had a trial outside when we had some frost a few weeks ago but no sign of any snow - I suspect wind chill may be a problem and need to block the some of the drainage holes in the base.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125053024865?var=426121619469

Ahh, much better than a light bulb. Any idea how many watts it draws? I didn't see that. Here's my idea: your ceramic heating device, an old 12vdc battery, a cheap solar panel and a reed switch that triggers at appox -1c if that is possible - I know reed switches aren't exact but good enough to trigger the melting of snow/ice.

I'm on the cheap? No. Its just I have no desire for yet another buried conduit to the weather station 100' away and I don't want to expend crazy $ to melt snow in the cone. Besides, being off grid, any additional electric load is really scrutinized. And I don't like extension cords laying around esp under snow. Tire chains really mess them up.

Of course, I could just leave an extension cord laid out and plug in a heat gun to melt snow. I'd rather build a fire nearby (wink).

Offline JRHill

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2022, 04:48:56 PM »
An Update: I never did put a heater of any kind in the ISS. We didn't get much snow from this December '22 weather except for a bunch of sleet and freezing rain. That's finally starting to funnel through the ISS and its supposedly raining outside now. :-) It's up to 32F WooHoo.

But I did buy a package of 2 IC heating devices based upon this thread. Even one of the two little units would've been too much for the ISS but I used one on a foot of 1.5x1.5x12 Aluminum angle iron in the bottom of the outdoor refridge we use for extras and overflow. It kept the temp above freezing way down to zero F and it only uses 30 watts of 120vac when it comes up to its temperature. The fridge is unplugged because it was confused with the cold and kept running....

Happy winter, everyone! Christmas too!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2022, 05:15:56 PM »
...it's really a distinct concept from how the term is normally used in meteorology.

Mmmmm, not really. Exact same "mechanics" or "concept". Just seems to not be accepted.......can't understand why. Like every body pronounces "Potable" with short O when it is a actually a long O. From the French "pote" - - to drink ( nothing to do with a pot like it seems many assume incorrectly  )

Please......wind chill is wind chill......it removes heat from heated objects ... simple.

"Wind chill doesn't affect objects;
This is actually false. Of course you don't have to worry about your car getting frostbite so it may not be as relevant, but wind chill can affect inanimate objects that are warmer than the outside air. The effect is the rate of cooling."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6285040

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2022, 05:26:45 PM »
...it's really a distinct concept from how the term is normally used in meteorology.
wind chill can affect inanimate objects that are warmer than the outside air. The effect is the rate of cooling."
Exactly why people may blow on their overly hot soup or coffee...

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2023, 12:04:46 PM »
A few years ago I made a raincone heater that uses a 25W power resistor
I attached a heatsink on it
I use one but the housing can accommodate two if necessary
Installed a connector at the bottom of the rain shelf so the power cable is detachable
I use a 12 V 5A power supply
The temperature is measured using a thermostate with temperature probe
This power on temperature can be adjusted
On the heatsink there is a bi metal temperature switch which opens when temperature reaches about 50 degrees Celsius, thus not overheating the cone
It closes at about 20 degrees Celsius
Works great, but not very cold temperatures here lately
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b

Offline schwab

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 07:20:33 AM »
My VP2 has been heated during winter months (in Minnesota) as several years ago I installed a DIY heater first published in the thread below...many of the pics in this thread are no longer accessible but there are some key pics still present that will help you with the project. (For example see thread's page 10)

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1468.0

I also use an EasyHeat EH-38 Thermostat that automatically turns the VP2 heater cable on and off depending on the temperature. The heater cable turns ON once the air temperature is lower than 38F.

In the absence of wind the VP2 air temperature will be about 5 degrees warmer than actual air temperature once the heater cable is active but this system always melts snowfall that is then recorded as snow meltwater by the VP2. https://tinyurl.com/3c98wxyh

(I am currently in Florida and need to troubleshoot my Minnesota station's software as a recent software update from saratoga-weather.org caused my webpage to cease realtime updates.) https://www.schwab1.com

I hope this helps with your interest in heating your VP2 collector.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:33:33 AM by schwab »

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »
My exact clone of the Davis heater runs on 24V at 1 amp (24 watts). You might try doubling up on the insulating blanket in extreme cold or if using something with less wattage.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

anything